Food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot

Best spring/ summer food plots for west Texas area that’s not too late to plant. West Texas as in Abilene area.

Originally posted by drenaline65 View Post
    Best spring/ summer food plots for west Texas area that’s not too late to plant. West Texas as in Abilene area.
    I wouldn't plant till at least mid April anyway. I'm going with iron and clay peas and mix in some soybeans and maybe add 10lbs per acre of lab lab. Thought about either adding sunflowers or sunn hemp to give something for the beans to climb, but I have a high deer population so they probably won't get tall enough to climb anyway.

Comment

I have a decent deer population but a ton of hogs. Trying to find something that will grow in that area and that’s gonna help the deer with out having to feed protein and the hogs not tear it up before it grows.

Comment

I've never had hogs mess with my peas. I don't really have a hog problem either. They will come through every few months or so. I actually have hogs on my game cams eating the vegetation on my fall plots. They didn't root at all. Not exactly sure what they were eating as it was a fall mix with a "buck booster" in addition to the mix.

Comment

Whatever you plant better be drought resistant. I've tried the iron/clay peas and other seed blends that come up really well in the spring, the die off by mid June due to lack of moisture. When it doesn't rain for 6 weeks, those plants don't do well.

Comment

I planted Whitetail Institute Extreme and Alpha Rack + this past weekend near Del Rio. Seems like since I planted the rain chances in the forecast keep going down! First attempt a food plot in Texas, figured if my seed doesn't come up something will.....eventually with some rain.

Comment

Waste of time and money IMO unless irrigated or the heavens open up for you regular. It's just too dry up that way. Throw in a bunch of hungry deer and lots of hogs...you would have to overwhelm them in acreage planted. I have tried what you're doing with little success. I even electric fenced. I finally threw in the towel on spring/summer plots for that part of Texas.

Comment

It’s hit or miss because of moisture. Try something more drought resistant like sun hemp and milo. I’m in the same boat as you are and spring plots are just tough in our neck of the woods.

Comment

Working...
                X