Thoughts on these feeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
    Ah...thanks for clarifying. I’ve seen some good ones come and go, but missed that one. This may be a chance for everyone to join. Also, we built a stand and fill model, I don’t have a pic on my phone, will post later.
    I bet your stand & fill would get more attention. Post a pic!!!

Comment

Shorten the legs to make a stand and fill and would be much better off. Reduces cost of the ladder portion and is more user friendly...

Comment

I built a feeder from an overpac.drum several years ago. In 2 years.rats at a hole in the edge. And for some reason that I dont know of, the corn mildewed bad.
        Last edited by Walker; 03-14-2018, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Great idea..Shorten the legs, hole in the bottom of legs to anchor down instead of using tposts, good reliable strong motor and a cage.

Comment

The plastic makes me weary as the weather and animals can be tough on a feeder. Also aoudad and elk would have a field day with a feeder they could push over. Looks nice just wouldn’t work for me personally.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Comment

Plastic can be a problem had a Coon nest in one on top of corn..Squir in one...But overall I still got some that survived for years...So I never gave up on them ..locate so squir can't get to (jump)and Climb proof legs for (squir,coon/rat) I like the Design of whole Feeder and container is set in making it not so top heavy...thx

Comment

I made a unit from an heavy duty plastic oversized crash cushion container used on roadways. It held 800 #, although I never topped it off. My biggest issue was mildew. With larger amounts of corn, it would also be prone to weevils. I decided to discard the larger unit and go back to a metal 55. It is not that often or much of a chore to fill feeders and make certain I have fresh corn. We have also had squirrels destroy the standard plastic feeders, they are relentless!

Comment

Squirrels in E. Texas would have a hole chewed into the lid within a matter of weeks, if not days. If you had a large metal slip-over lid, it would be much better for E. Texas. Plus, if you would make a small porch to stand on when filling, it would be much more user friendly.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      I know that container and style of feeder has been on TBH for awhile.....moreso back in the 200Xs. Casey used to own one and maybe still does. I seem to remember him posting a picture of it recently. I remember seeing them in the Big *** Feeder Club, TBH used to have.

Anyway...seems to be a nice feeder. The plastic aspect would concern me with our squirrels and coons....but ifr they can beat that they should be long lasting.
                      Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Here you go Elkaholic. Yours rack is definitely more detail and user friendly.

Even the Big Feeder Club used one in its logo.

[ATTACH]900456[/ATTACH]

I was searching for some pics. Thanks for posting up, Jason.

I want to say I built mine in about 2002. It sat in the sun in La Salle County for 9 years. It was moved to Coryell County where there is no limit to the number squirrels and coons that could destroy it. It has no holes, no issues, is still good and tight and working like a champ. Maybe I've been lucky, or the design is right that the critters just can't access, but it's been a great feeder for over 15 years.

With that said I'm all about the stand and fills these days. I bet you could easily use these for that if you did it right.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                        Squirrels in E. Texas would have a hole chewed into the lid within a matter of weeks, if not days. If you had a large metal slip-over lid, it would be much better for E. Texas. Plus, if you would make a small porch to stand on when filling, it would be much more user friendly.

Doug
                        I hear the squirrel argument loud and clear, and all I can say is they haven’t yet, and some have been in the field (east tx) for years. I did talk to one guy who said he had one they had started working on after a few years and he used JB Weld to fill it in, and got several more years out of it. We may have a solution here as well. As a hunter, I know how frustrating it can be when equipment fails, and we may be looking for a unicorn...where cost meets manageable weight, meets increased capacity, meets sufficient durability. All of the feedback is welcome. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          I was searching for some pics. Thanks for posting up, Jason.

I want to say I built mine in about 2002. It sat in the sun in La Salle County for 9 years. It was moved to Coryell County where there is no limit to the number squirrels and coons that could destroy it. It has no holes, no issues, is still good and tight and working like a champ. Maybe I've been lucky, or the design is right that the critters just can't access, but it's been a great feeder for over 15 years.

With that said I'm all about the stand and fills these days. I bet you could easily use these for that if you did it right.
                          The barrels aren’t your average 55gallon plastic drum. They’re designed to handle spilled pollutants on ships and barges. They’re exposed to the elements for years at a time before used.

Comment

Working...
                          X