What Size Trolling Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Size Trolling Motor

Seeking advice on trolling motor selection. 18’6” bay boat center console. Boat and motor weight is about 2400 lbs. The recommended is 24 volt/55 lb thrust. What do y’all think?

where is Tim the Tool Man Taylor when you need him - MORE POWER!!!

Comment

I have a 24V.-80# and when it's windy, wish I had the 36V-101. Boat is an 1860 Aluma-Craft with 90 Yammer.... If you're going to jump to the 24 volt, just go big. Won't take up any more room on the boat.

Comment

55lb seems a little weak to me. I had a 80 lb on my 20’ bassboat and wished for more at times in the wind. I would get as big as you can afford. With anything on a boat, bigger is better.

Comment

The standard is 5lb. of thrust for every 200 lb. of gross weight. So the "recommended" thrust for your boat is 60 lbs. I personally wouldn't have less than 80 lb on anything except a flatbottom boat that would be used on small lakes/large ponds. And if you fish anywhere that wind is ever an issue, go bigger than you think you'll need IMO

You'll never say "I sure wish I hadn't gotten this trolling motor, it's too big for my boat" but you very well are likely to say "******, why didn't I get the larger trolling motor?!?" if you go with the smaller one. Manufacturers, for the most part, are putting the bare minimum on boats to sell them. And leave it up to the owners to deal with either the aggravation of using the ones that come with the boat, or replacing it with what they want

Comment

I thought the 55 lbs was light. Will go bigger for sure. Thanks!

Comment

Get the most powerful trolling motor you can...you will not regret having the extra power on hand when you need it.

Comment

I would buy a 80 lb if it gets too windy for that move not to mention the cost of another battery and weight. Now if you chase schooling fish then 101 would be better get spot lock for sure

Comment

The biggest you can afford. I have the 110 and there have been days it struggle.

Comment

I'd stay with a 24 volt. I'm not sure how many pounds of thrust you can get out of a 24 V, but I have a 70 lb. on my 21 ft boat, and it is enough. With 36 volt, you will have 4 batteries (with the starting battery) That is a lot of extra weight itself, and more maintenance.

Comment

Bigger the better

Comment

Go eith the biggest you can afford as mentioned. You can never have too much thrust. I would say if you're gonna stay at 24v, get an 80lb

But if you can afford it and have the space, 36v 112lb ultrex or ulterra on a CC will make your live so much simpler. Just depends on the type of fishing you do and if you like having cable steer as the main option. But most CC guys run an ulterra

Comment

I had a 102 lb 24 volt on a 18 foot xpress aluminum boat. Currently have a 112 24 volt on a 21'6 glass boat that weights right at 2000 lbs. No way of have even 60 lbs on a rig that big.

P.S. I pilot is the shizzle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

No less than 80. If you have room for another battery go to 36 volt & get something over 100.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              The biggest you can afford. I have the 110 and there have been days it struggle.
                              I mean the 101

Comment

Working...
                              X