Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever caught a deer in a hog trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Traps with tops should be illegal.
    Disagree strongly, just with the premise though... There cannot be a law for everything... seems our country is headed this way and its wrong IMO!

We personally have short traps that deer dont go in because they are too short, not saying they cant but they dont.

However, Making things illegal, or adding stipulations or requirements of size is not the answer.... Too much legislation in outdoor primitive living as it is! Hard for a guy to get back to nature with all the government interference is what I am trying to say.

Comment

I've seen two hogs trapped and moved to a cattle trailer for transport. The cattle trailer was piped (but not solid) topped. Before the hogs got off the property one had climbed up the sides and bailed out the top. The other was well on his way. Saw it with my own eyes.

Hogs can climb material that's conducive to their weight if left with no other option. Deer are just casualties of war in my opinion. In 19 years of trapping I've caught only 1 doe, and she stood long enough for me to get the door open.

I like those odds, so I'll stick to the closed traps.

Comment

Saw a buck in velvet dead in a trap at the El Sauz ranch when I was hunting Nilgai

Comment

im gonna have to get my traps back from my buddies then ands cut them tops off. i made one trap that is a big round pen with hog panelling around a feeder and the hogs push the panel to get in and cant get back out. The deer can easily jump in or out.

Comment

Originally posted by bugleboy View Post
            GW in our area says that the deer often tear the connective tissues in their mouth that allow them to forage when banging into the panels. Thus, even though they may appear OK when you releasse them, they may die a slow death. I NEVER trap with corn, dieseled or not. Soured wheat works great and I have NEVER caught a deer while using it.

Seems to me this happens more than people think. Just because you got the deer out somewhat safely how do you know what happen after releasing it? Saying that it was ok and lived is a stretch unless you have proof ie. a pic or something to verify this... I wouldn't be so quick to say that the deer made it.

All the tops should be off the traps thats the only way to insure they don't get caught.

Comment

I also disagree .. I have caught deer and sometimes its not pretty but it happens. I do however catch a crap load more of hogs then I will ever of deer. Had a few die as well and they eat just fine with permission from game warden. The guy who says he almost got a ticket or got a ticket for it is full of it..I have had hogs jump out of 6' panels and those are truly money hogs so no tops for me unless its a box trap and I just started building them taller and tying twine across the door

Comment

Originally posted by bucksnducks View Post
                I've seen two hogs trapped and moved to a cattle trailer for transport. The cattle trailer was piped (but not solid) topped. Before the hogs got off the property one had climbed up the sides and bailed out the top. The other was well on his way. Saw it with my own eyes.

Hogs can climb material that's conducive to their weight if left with no other option. Deer are just casualties of war in my opinion. In 19 years of trapping I've caught only 1 doe, and she stood long enough for me to get the door open.

I like those odds, so I'll stick to the closed traps.
                Agreed and seen it a few deer compared to the damage the hogs do is a small but unpreventible loss.

Comment

Use circle traps instead of box traps. They catch alot more hogs at one time, and deer can jump out. Hogs don't usually get out of these.

Comment

now thats a canned hunt

Deer dont go into ours, but neither do the hogs

Comment

i had a bad situation with a deer in a trap but i guess it is part of trapping...any new ones i build have open tops and we dont use the closed one as much

i used to have pics of an eight point that would crawl in a trap on his knees....then back out the way he came in...it was crazy to watch

Comment

Originally posted by IbeHuntn View Post
                        One of my buddies caught a young buck in a hog trap in south texas not only once but caught the same little buck several times, i think they finally had to stop using the trap because the buck kept getting in
                        Had a buddy is south Texas have the same thing happen to them. They only caught him twice though. It was a little 8 point buck. Got caught twice in like 4 days in the same trap. He lived though.

Comment

This thread made me think of this pic I saw the other day

Click image for larger version

Name:	cow in trap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	23993764

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                            This thread made me think of this pic I saw the other day

[ATTACH]240919[/ATTACH]
                            lol. This happened once to me...

Comment

Several. I run trail cams on my traps while baiting so I know exactly what is going on....er um....in.

Skinny

Comment

What about tops that are only 24 inches high made just for trapping piglets??? I agree tops over 48 inches ? should be outlawed and any deer caught in them should come off of the deer quota or a fine according to the TPW replacement value for wildlife poached. A $2 hog in a $200 trap trapped with diesel soaked corn should be illegal as welllol Opps never mind it already islol

Comment

Working...
                                X