Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the GOP dead and they just don't know it yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the GOP dead and they just don't know it yet?

Is it even possible for the GOP to come back from the implosion that won't stop? Their traditional funding sources already own the Dem nominee and likely Pres. Where is the money going to come from?

They sabotaged the leading candidate in their own primary and he still won. Then they denied him full support post nomination ensuring that Republican voters would not have the candidate they chose in the WH. While he may not have won anyway, they prevented the possibility altogether.

Personally, I don't like Trump and a lot of the things he says and does. But by no means do I think he is dangerous. He is a smart executive, known for hiring and working with the best and the brightest. So where are our best and brightest in the GOP - oh, they held back or even ran like cowards to protect their own self interests.

This was going to be a close election no matter what and there is no way a candidate wins without the full backing of its party. No one knows that better than party leadership. Yet look at what they did. Kasich, Cruz, Ryan, others - withheld or denied their support knowing full well that it would decrease if not eliminate any chance for the Republican candidate to win.

When this all over and voters realize this and that it cost us the Supreme Court majority, among other things, why would they ever trust this party and its leaders again?

Yes. Look who we just elected

Comment

The GOP has been on the downhill slope for quite some time.

The implosion has been in slow motion and had been going on for a couple decades if you ask me.

The GOP did this to themselves by letting the far right wingers in their party have a microphone.

I really thought they would've learned by now, but they haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
        Is it even possible for the GOP to come back from the implosion that won't stop? Their traditional funding sources already own the Dem nominee and likely Pres. Where is the money going to come from?

They sabotaged the leading candidate in their own primary and he still won. Then they denied him full support post nomination ensuring that Republican voters would not have the candidate they chose in the WH. While he may not have won anyway, they prevented the possibility altogether.

Personally, I don't like Trump and a lot of the things he says and does. But by no means do I think he is dangerous. He is a smart executive, known for hiring and working with the best and the brightest. So where are our best and brightest in the GOP - oh, they held back or even ran like cowards to protect their own self interests.

This was going to be a close election no matter what and there is no way a candidate wins without the full backing of its party. No one knows that better than party leadership. Yet look at what they did. Kasich, Cruz, Ryan, others - withheld or denied their support knowing full well that it would decrease if not eliminate any chance for the Republican candidate to win.

When this all over and voters realize this and that it cost us the Supreme Court majority, among other things, why would they ever trust this party and its leaders again?
        His Presidential campaign surrogates/employees alone prove that is a complete myth.

Comment

I have no answers to most of your post. But have you seen the body count the Clintons have left behind? Easy to say you would run but if you're closer to the action and see them get away with murder over and over you'd think twice about running also. They probably knew that even if they ran it was rigged and they would still lose.

All that aside, the working people have no choice who they back. If you own a business, work for a living, or own guns you're pretty dumb to back the democrats.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            I have no answers to most of your post. But have you seen the body count the Clintons have left behind? Easy to say you would run but if you're closer to the action and see them get away with murder over and over you'd think twice about running also. They probably knew that even if they ran it was rigged and they would still lose.

All that aside, the working people have no choice who they back. If you own a business, work for a living, or own guns you're pretty dumb to back the democrats.
            Maybe a better word would have been impotent.

The GOP establishment sacrificed this election at a tremendous risk and potential cost to what most Republicans and a lot of Americans value. As that cost is realized, I think a lot of people will abandon Republicans as an option, certainly enough that the majority to required to win a major national election will be unachievable.

Comment

Once it became clear that Republican primary voters were not going to vote for any establishment candidate, the GOP establishment leadership refused to back the only candidate that could have beaten the front runner that is all but certain to lose in November. The establishment leadership wouldn't back Cruz, so Trump won. Then the establishment cozied up to Trump for a while, in hopes that he would "pivot" away from his craziness and become a policy-focused serious adult candidate for President. Now that it has become clear that he will never do that they have tried to figure out a way to dump him without blowing up the whole thing, but they can't so they're stuck with him. Watching Priebus and the rest now is like watching a hostage video where the hostage is being forced to say good things about his abductor.

Meanwhile, the conservative base of the Republican Party is continuing to be attacked by Trump and his surrogates more than they are attacking Hillary. The people who caused this circus (GOP establishment first followed by Trump and his surrogates and supporters) are blaming the people who tried their hardest to prevent this circus from ever happening to begin with by trying to keep the GOP centered around and focused on constitutional principles (conservatives). It's insane. All the people who have blown up what used to be the party that stood for constitutional principles want to blame the people who actually still support constitutional principles.

Yessir. The Republican Party is toast. When you alienate your strongest supporters, it's over. Hillary is so unbelievably terrible that Trump may still have a slim chance to get enough votes from the alienated conservative (former) Republicans to win, but if he wins and then continues to demand that everyone who disagrees just needs to shut up, kneel, kiss his ring and "get in line", then the Party will die very quickly. That would be a good thing. It does no good to have two parties that agree with each other on just about everything except who gets to be in charge of the corruption. The nation needs a powerful voice for the Constitution. Maybe such a party can rise from the ashes of the GOP dumpster fire eventually. I sure hope so.

Comment

There are so many flavors of what is wrong/what happened that I wish there was a way to factually prove which one is natural (real) vs artificially flavored (bias). I'm one who doesn't think Cruz stood any chance of winning the general election, nor do I think the issue is constitutionalism vs non-constitutionalism. It is the interpretation of the Constitution as it fits your particular political beliefs.

I also don't see where the establishment ever cozied up to Trump. It was all conditional and public. I also think that conservative Republicans bear a good part of the blame as well - they didn't just attack the candidate, they totally dismissed his supporters.

IMO, Trump's winning of the nomination is symptomatic of the GOP's problem which is that they have lost touch with their voters and failed to represent what is important to them. Instead of trying to understand this, neither the GOP nor its other candidates even really tried. Trump isn't the problem though he certainly isn't the solution either.

Comment

There are so many flavors of what is wrong/what happened that I wish there was a way to factually prove which one is natural (real) vs artificially flavored (bias). I'm one who doesn't think Cruz stood any chance of winning the general election, nor do I think the issue is constitutionalism vs non-constitutionalism. It is the interpretation of the Constitution as it fits your particular political beliefs.

I also don't see where the establishment ever cozied up to Trump. It was all conditional and public. I also think that conservative Republicans bear a good part of the blame as well - they didn't just attack the candidate, they totally dismissed his supporters.

IMO, Trump's winning of the nomination is symptomatic of the GOP's problem which is that they have lost touch with their voters and failed to represent what is important to them. Instead of trying to understand this, neither the GOP nor its other candidates even really tried. Trump isn't the problem though he certainly isn't the solution either.
                  Could not agree more. I voted Cruz in the primary but didn't think he would win in the general either. That's one reason I hated when he announced. The only thing I liked about Trump is he stirred things up issue wise but I did not think he would stay in the race.

The legislative arm of the GOP including one of my senators and my congress man are a big part of the problem IMO and I'll vote against both in the next primary provided there is a suitable candidate. If not I may vote independent if there is a suitable candidate. I am tired of the incremental laziness of those governing with GOP behind their name. They allow what is going on in politics to happen and I have gotten to where I trust none of them to do what is right anymore.

Comment

The way alot of people are talking I hope you bow hunt only.

Comment

Very true. The establishment leadership of the party has completely and blatantly ignored the will of the people who elected them over the last few years. They are the reason we're all mad and frustrated. Conservatives and Trump supporters alike are equally disgusted by the establishment leadership of the party.

There were other candidates who understood this though and did try to fight back against it. The establishment folks know it too, but they continue to fight for their own power rather than for the will of the people they represent.

The answer isn't one personality or another. The answer, if we ever see it implemented, is a return to the constitutional principles of a limited government serving the citizens rather than continuing down the current path of ever-increasing power for the government that will result in the citizens serving the government. Unfortunately, though, there are more voters focused on personality over principle. If that trend continues, it's gonna be really difficult to ever get things going in the right direction again. Lord willing, someone will come along who is committed to limiting the power of the government and who has the right personality to attract support from the general public. It seems that is the only way it'll ever happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X