Diesel Fuel Expert Needed-White Sludge Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Fuel Expert Needed-White Sludge Issues

We had some white sludge in the fuel tank on our tractor at the farm last year. Poly tank. Fuel is diesel. Pulled the tank and cleaned it out. Replaced the cap and seal on sending unit just to ensure water wasn't getting in. Ran great for 6 months. Fresh fuel + additive (that's supposed to prevent this) every time we filled up. Haven't added fuel or additive in 6 months and now the sludge is back. 30 gallon tank has approximately 5 gallons of fuel in it with a layer of white/clear slime on bottom. Some of it will pass through the drain plug, but not enough.

Is the diesel fuel just degrading?
    Condensation allowing water to be introduced?
    Any ideas on how to get the sludge out without removing the tank?
    Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

sounds like condensation. The new plastic tanks are bad about it. I try to keep mine full all the time and that seems to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Diesel doesn't degrade like gasoline. Sounds like condensation to me.

Comment

diesel can also grow an algae in it that is blackish in color, this sounds like condensation to me also. keeping your tank full will help prevent the condensation but not algae.

as far as removing it, maybe try a hand held centrifugal pump and lower the end to the bottom of the tank and pump until you get clear fuel, having a sump or making the tank lower on one end will help when pumping out the contaminants.

Comment

Your source has a bacteria. You need to kill that or you will always have issues. This is a pretty common issue with low sulfur diesel. Your fuel distributor is the likely source.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm pulling the tank again in the morning. Gonna try keeping it full 24-7-365 after this.

Comment

Gonna change gas stations as well

Comment

Make sure you use a filter on the tank also

Comment

We added an in-line filter last year. I will be replacing it tomorrow as well. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X