Observation Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation Deck

A build-along project. Neighbor had this old, wooden observation deck that had been repaired many many times with whatever was handy. This thing must have been about 15' tall....and ready to fall at any moment. He also wanted another shed. I suggested a conex box/shipping container. We went with a 20 footer because I could haul it and set it in place. Got it moved and leveled with the skid loader. Convinced him to let me tear down the old observation deck and build a new one out of steel, connected to the conex.

I'm running 6" purlin X 30' along the top, length wise. There will be 10' over hang to give him a bit of a carport for the quads. The purlin will sit on top of 2x4 rectangle tubing so it will clear the ribs of the original roof ...it is a bit wavy.

Comment

In for the build

Comment

Slow build...not many photo ops over the last few days.

The east side is welded solid. You can just make out a feeder in the upper right corner...about 75 yards.

Here is the view to the south. This feeder is about 170 yards.

This photo is to the west, before welding.

All clamped-up ready for welding.

Comment

This is the frame of a 8x10 deck I had built from my grandmother 16 years ago. Stripped off the old boards and cut off the square tubing legs. Used the crane attachment I made for the loader to hang it. I had welded tabs on the side of the conex for this to sit on, and we clamped the legs to the other side. It's now welded to the conex. The legs I'll trim to the appropriate length and weld in place. I'm planning on using my big hammer drill to anchor a T-post or sucker-rod in the rock and weld them to the legs to keep them from sliding/moving around. This deck will be the "landing" for the stairs, and provide a bit of shade for the quads or whatever.

Comment

Crazy slow progress...mostly because I cannot stay focused on one project!! Just completed the stairs. Purchased the first 5 steps from a salvage yard. The other steps also came from salvage but the C-channel was purchased new. I left a little room for error, my stair calculations suck... it is loaded on the trailer and waiting for transport and fitting. Will update when that happens.

Comment

Nice build! I have a box Id like to do something similar too

Comment

Nice looking build

Comment

Tagged to watch

Comment

Neat project!

Comment

Thanks guys, slooow progress. I'm out of town but hope to get something done on it in 2-3 weeks. Will post updates.

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

looks great

Comment

Finally had a chance to make some more progress...got the stairs welded in place. Also added 2 more purlin where the first part of the deck is. Have about 70 % of the vertical pieces of the hand-rail in place. The big 4x4 tubes will be for the pergola.

Comment

Great looking welds, sir

Comment

Working...
                              X