No announcement yet.

Let's Talk ILF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what size the limb bolt is but it should close to the size of the limb cutout(3/8"on the limb). My warf had a smaller bolt and I made a bushing for it. My limbs could move side to side slightly without it.
    I like how you plan on mounting the plates. If you could somehow have a slotted mount towards the back end of plate , you would have the ability to fine tune to get the limbs straight. Just a fraction off at the plate may be 1/16 to 1/8 at the limb tip. Med limbs are 24" long

I have read that most use JB Weld to attach the plates. I used it as a base but drilled and tapped the wall of the pockets and used 4 small Allen set screws a well. I drilled a shallow hole in the plates so the set screw would be slightly counter sunk. It also allowed me to get plates square with riser before the JB weld set up. I used a micrometer to get them as close as possible before applying JB
    Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I have a PSE Lazer riser and plates that will make a 21" sitting on the bench. It is like new and my dads old riser from 1974. Would like to do the mods similar to yours on the shelf
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by huntinpool; 05-15-2012, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

No progress made since I last posted.
        I have the riser ready to start fitting the limbs & adapter plates to it.

Todd, I'll P.M. you.

Rick

Comment

That's funny. I logged on to see if you had posted any progress. I have the limbs packed up tight, and ready to ship in the morning. Your gonna like these suckers for sure.

Comment

Todd my Brother, You Da Man.

Did a little trial & error with the wood inlays this evening.

This is knotty juniper from here close to home.

Keep in mind - the riser will be black.

Rick
            Attached Files

Comment

looks good. can't wait to see it with limbs on it.My 23" is super stable and a dream to shoot. Just ain't as fancy as that one is gonna be.

Comment

after look'n at the picks seam's like ya got to be a machinist with a well outfitted shop.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                  after look'n at the picks seam's like ya got to be a machinist with a well outfitted shop.
                  Hey, thanks for the compliment.

Now I'll tell ya the truth - everything you see in those pictures has been done by hand with a file, a dremel tool, and sand paper.

Rick

EDIT:

P.S.
                  I'm thinking real seriously about flattening the sides of the grip some, and then building it back to the original shape with some wood scales, that match the inlays. Not sure though, because I really like the way this grip feels. We'll see.
                  Last edited by RickBarbee; 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Wow Rick nice work

Comment

Worked a little more on the inlays this evening.

I chose a piece for the strike plate area, that does not quite have as much character as the pieces for the other inlays. I did this for two reasons.

1 - I needed for it to be a little more structurally sound, because it will have a slot cut in it. This wood is Juniper wall board, and breaks pretty easy.

2 - It will be mostly covered with a material (likely velcro), so the character wouldn't show much anyway.

I have it fitting nice & flat into the window, but will need to epoxy it into place before I finish the outside edges of it since it runs all the way out rather than being framed in like the other inlays.

The piece in the upper area of the sight window is ready to sand & finish.

I hope to get to work on the limb pocket inlays this weekend.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Man , that is going to be a good looking rig. You get some HEX 6 or ACS Recurve or Max 1's on there and you may not be able to put it down.

Comment

I got a chance to get the adapter plates, and limbs fitted to, and attached
                          to the riser today.

The bushings are made from pieces of 2413 aluminum shaft, with 2216 aluminum
                          inside. Made for a nice fit, both to the bolts, and the limbs.

Had a little trouble right off the bat. With the limbs seated in the plates,
                          and to the limb bolts, the way they are supposed to be, it was just awful, and
                          the bow measured 67.75" tip to tip.

The following pictures show the limb pockets in their original form, and then
                          the plates, and limbs fitted the only way the pockets would accept them.

Just horrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Time to make some adjustments.

I seated the limbs into the plates, and then set the plates into the limb
                          pockets (without the bolt in the way) where they needed to be, and marked the
                          spot for a new bolt hole. Drilled & tapped the holes, and here we go.

While in the proper position, I counter sink drilled the plates at the old
                          bolt holes, and used them to attach, and hold the plates in the correct
                          positions.

Then I ground the sharp corners off the plates, and made them fit the contour
                          of the limb pockets.

Now I'm happy !!!!

The bow is now exactly 66" tip to tip.

Unstrung profile.

Strung profile with a brace height of 8".

These limbs are Daass Kinetic medium length.
                          Todd, didn't you say they were 45# @ 28" ?
                          On this riser they are (46# @ 28") (48.5# @ 29"), and (51# @ 30")

Yep, I believe I'm on to something good here. Can't wait ta get her finished.

Rick

Comment

Looks like you about have it whooped Rick. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Charley

Comment

Looks good. You have done a great job fitting it all. The limbs are #46 @28" on a 25". If you are getting 46 @28" then you are getting no gain. You can just buy limbs the weight you want.

How does it shoot ?

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
                                Looks good. You have done a great job fitting it all. The limbs are #46 @28" on a 25". If you are getting 46 @28" then you are getting no gain. You can just buy limbs the weight you want.

How does it shoot ?
                                Thanks Todd.

I haven't shot it yet. I don't have the shelf finished out enough to shoot off it yet, but tomorrow I am going to put an elevated rest on it just to see how she behaves.

I've got high expectations.

Rick

EDIT:
                                P.S.

Todd, what tiller did you shoot with these?
                                I did not change anything on the limb hardware, and as she sets in those pictures the tiller is 0 (zero).

I'm leaning real hard toward a set of Border HEX6S's in the 60 to 65 lb draw range. Anyone want to loan me $519.00 ?
                                Last edited by RickBarbee; 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X