Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you willing to pay for trophy whitetail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you willing to pay for trophy whitetail?

I've seen all over the country where hunters pay upwards of $5000 or more to have opportunity to harvest a trophy whitetail.

My question to all good hunters: what will you pay for Over 225'' SCI whitetail
    $10,175.00 to $15,000.00....

No wonder our hunter numbers are declining

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You lost me at good hunter.

Comment

Heard a story down 'round Cotulla about a guy who paid $25k for a shot at a big buck. Took his shot and missed! Racked another round and the guide in the blind with him put his hand over the scope and said "That'll be another $25k for another shot." Can't verify if it is true or not, but no way for this old guy.

Comment

I won’t pay that much for a whitetail. Just ain’t worth it to me. Whitetail ranches dun got way too greedy for me. Hell, I paid less than $20k for 3 of us to go to Africa and we shot 9 animals. We were treated like royalty while we were there. And that price included airfare and taxi!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Heard a story down 'round Cotulla about a guy who paid $25k for a shot at a big buck. Took his shot and missed! Racked another round and the guide in the blind with him put his hand over the scope and said "That'll be another $25k for another shot." Can't verify if it is true or not, but no way for this old guy.
          Bolted another round for the same animal?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
            Bolted another round for the same animal?
            Yep--according to the story teller

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

That sounds like the bottom of an ol whiskey bottle talkin' that got told to you..

Comment

Hey---may have been the bottom of the whiskey bottle talking--but more likely the 24th can out of a case of Old Milwaukee..

Comment

Not sure.

Are Hunter numbers really declining or is that a per capita thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    That sounds like the bottom of an ol whiskey bottle talkin' that got told to you..
                    And not the first bottle either

Comment

I would buy a steer before i would pay that for a deer. My trophy is a full freezer

Comment

Half the fun is farting around fixing/building things and sitting by the fire BS’n. I don’t see the point in spending mega bucks for mega bucks but don’t fault anyone else for it.

Comment

Trophy hunting is not the reason for the decline in hunter recruitment

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post

I’d wager it has a significant impact though. I know that I have 2 kids that are now too old to be kids on our place so they have to start paying their own way. First year I had to pay my own way lease fee was $200. I don’t see my kids being able to afford a lease for several years with what it costs now. Good thing I also own property they can hunt.

I’m a free market guy to the core so I have no problem with people charging what the market will bear but I think it’s naive to think that the cost of hunting hasn’t outpaced inflation by many many times. 25 years ago it was just about unheard of to have someone tell you that wives, kids, guests weren’t welcome at your lease. Now the struggle is finding a place that does allow that. The animals have a dollar value now, not just the experience. Good for trophy quality, not good for affordable access to hunting ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post

I’d wager it has a significant impact though. I know that I have 2 kids that are now too old to be kids on our place so they have to start paying their own way. First year I had to pay my own way lease fee was $200. I don’t see my kids being able to afford a lease for several years with what it costs now. Good thing I also own property they can hunt.

I’m a free market guy to the core so I have no problem with people charging what the market will bear but I think it’s naive to think that the cost of hunting hasn’t outpaced inflation by many many times. 25 years ago it was just about unheard of to have someone tell you that wives, kids, guests weren’t welcome at your lease. Now the struggle is finding a place that does allow that. The animals have a dollar value now, not just the experience. Good for trophy quality, not good for affordable access to hunting ground.

My first high bred lab pup cost $65 in 1984. The same dog will run you $800 plus now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X