No announcement yet.

My Last Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you are still here. I've rode motorcycles all of my adult life. The only car I had was my wife's car. After a REALLY bad accident with my GSX-R, I purchased a new motorcycle (Kawasaki Ninja) and rode that for about 4 years. My wife, being a nurse, used to tell me all sorts of stories about patients that they see involved in motorcycle accidents. Right before I moved to Texas a year ago, I sold both my bikes. No more bikes for me simply because my wife does not want me to ride anymore. I've also accomplished everything I wanted to do when I first got into riding (bucket list of traveling on my motorcycle, knee dragging, racing, etc) With so many drivers being distracted with phones these days and irresponsible young drivers who race on public roads, I can't help but cringe every time I think about my accident. For all of those who still ride, be vigilant and be safe. I know it may be silly to some but I always ride with my Bible in my backpack because it makes me feel like the Lord is with me.

Comment

Yep, my riding career came to an abrupt end in 1975... Had a '74 Honda CB750 that would flat fly... It was those landings it did not do well. After a particularly rough landing one night on Long Island in New York, I picked up the pieces, put 'er back together and when I got back home to Texas, kept her for another year or so... even made my self ride a time or 2, but never enjoyed it again... Have not regretted for one second the day I watched as her new owner rode her off never to be seen again... I thank God daily for getting me through that period in my life!

Comment

And I almost killed a young man one day riding a cycle. I was in my F250 pulling 14ft trailer with Welding machine and my 4 wheeler on it on a 2 lane road that had ditches on both sides that dropped off 7 ft deep. So he is in front of me on a pocket rocket we both are doing about 55 MPH and on this country road there are several roads that turn off left. Now cars are coming the other direction its a bit of a well traveled road.
        Well he suddenly and I mean suddenly decided he wanted to turn left without any signal or nothing and went from 55 mph to stopped in like 50ft, I KID YOU NOT ! he could shut that pocket rocket down that fast !!! I had stopping distance behind him, I was not in anyway tailgating him. Problem was there were cars coming the other way and he could not turn. I locked up everything I had and was trying to go into the ditch without rolling over. He too was shatting in is his pants.

Dude, if you can go from 55mph to stopped in 50ft on a pocket rocket that weighs nothing with state of the art braking system don't do it in front of an F250 with a loaded trailer or a Cement truck. We both came out alive but I really don't know how. So thankful I didn't kill him.

Comment

Dang brother, glad you are still with us and pray that rehab goes better than expected.

I had a motorcycle accident back in 1986 and haven't been on one since. I love riding, but was lucky to walk away after a truck didn't see me, pulled out in front of me and I t-boned him.

Comment

Glad you are still with us and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
              Dang brother, glad you are still with us and pray that rehab goes better than expected.

I had a motorcycle accident back in 1986 and haven't been on one since. I love riding, but was lucky to walk away after a truck didn't see me, pulled out in front of me and I t-boned him.
              wasn't at Gessner and Westpark was it? I saw that exact thing happen there one day about that long ago!!

Comment

Had a 1100 Aero ... quit for same reason (no wreck..just not safe enough to risk it)
                Prayers for healing.

Comment

glad you are on the right side of the ground. Get better ASAP!

Comment

Good to hear you are going to recover although it will be long and tedious. I've been riding over 40 years but gave it up for awhile when the kids were young. They are in their 30's now

Headed to the hill country friday for a few days. Distracted drivers are a constant danger especially if your on a bike.

If you see an old fat guy on a blue roadglide wave.
                    Last edited by dadogg; 06-20-2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Love motorcycles but they're too dangerous. My family needs me alive and healthy.

Comment

Dang man! That sounds like a really bad experience. I hope you recover fully by bow season. I love to ride but I sold mine about 3 years ago because I figured it was just a matter of time around here. People just don't pay attention in general, much less watch out for bikes. It got to where I couldn't enjoy riding around here because I assumed every car I saw was going to pull out in front of me. It seems like 8 out of 10 drivers are looking at their cell phone while driving these days. If we ever move up to East TX and get away from this rat race I'll buy another one.

Comment

Hey I live in Gvine if you need anything give a shout

Comment

you guys make me want to get rid of mine

Comment

Prayers going up!

Comment

Prayers up and heal up.

Comment

Working...
                                X