Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Public Lands - What allows your hunting rights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following

Comment

FYI http://starlocalmedia.com/allenameri...8bec3f311.html

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        I've seen it happen in my lifetime at both richland creek and gus engeling WMA's, they both used to be type 2 public land until 1999-2000, all you had to do was buy the $48 APH permit and you could bowhunt deer all season, 14,000 acres at RC, 10,000 acres at GE. Now both place offer very limited draws, RC hasn't even done a draw deer hunt for the last 2 years. Duck hunting at RC is limited to monday/wednesday/saturday until noon and his year GE is even requiring a draw for hog hunting, both places are very regulated and restricted compared to how they used to be.
        What happened to RC? My boys were drawn on a few youth hunts there several years ago, saw a lot of nice deer in there. That's a shame.

Comment

Already happened at Grapevine. We used to hunt all over that lake. 30 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            What happened to RC? My boys were drawn on a few youth hunts there several years ago, saw a lot of nice deer in there. That's a shame.
            A little more info here http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...pics/6568013/2, I do feel they are still over limiting hunting access to RCWMA, it hasn't been type 2 for a long time where you could just buy the APH permit and just follow the county season and bag limits
            Last edited by bossbowman; 10-20-2017, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Well folks, I had a chance to talk to the president of the Texas chapter of backcountry hunters and anglers. Unfortunately he didn’t have any idea of what I was talking about with Corp land, and as much as I hate to put someone on blast, they didn’t leave me with the greatest sense that they knew what to do about anything.

So far, BHA is touting the win against Kaput hog poison, and not a whole lot else. Problem is that the leadership is spread out all over the state.

I’ve tried to do what I can with what information I had, and I apologize for not keeping up with this thread more but I still think our best bet is to bug the crap out of the Texas chapter of BHA, become a member, and get to know your local Corp office manager. Otherwise nothing is going to change.

The thing about BHA is that it has a lot more money, resources and political backing than anything else we could try to do to pressure Corp land areas into granting more access.

Because really, as BHA puts on their website, they’re dedicated to increasing access to public lands. If you’ve followed TBH lately, there is a heck of a lot of govt land that doesn’t allow hunting, even though the land around them are heavily hunted.

Comment

I'm a member of BHA and I agree that more access to Corps or maybe some of these water control districts for now hunting should be fairly easy sells.

Bow hunting tends to me a little lower impact and risk (to both neighbors and other users) so it really should be an easier sell and help fulfill the BHA mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And I’m not saying that CoE property is the only one with issues either. There are a myriad of them, such as land locked pieces of national forest/grassland and other things.

It just seems like CoE property is something a lot different than what most folks familiar with BHA deal with since they’re a largely western organization dealing with BLM and National Forest land.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                    It seems to me the managers of some public land act as if the are frustrated wanna be's. They don't or can't manage some land of their own, so they run public land like it was their own private domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                      Well folks, I had a chance to talk to the president of the Texas chapter of backcountry hunters and anglers. Unfortunately he didn’t have any idea of what I was talking about with Corp land, and as much as I hate to put someone on blast, they didn’t leave me with the greatest sense that they knew what to do about anything.

So far, BHA is touting the win against Kaput hog poison, and not a whole lot else. Problem is that the leadership is spread out all over the state.

I’ve tried to do what I can with what information I had, and I apologize for not keeping up with this thread more but I still think our best bet is to bug the crap out of the Texas chapter of BHA, become a member, and get to know your local Corp office manager. Otherwise nothing is going to change.

The thing about BHA is that it has a lot more money, resources and political backing than anything else we could try to do to pressure Corp land areas into granting more access.

Because really, as BHA puts on their website, they’re dedicated to increasing access to public lands. If you’ve followed TBH lately, there is a heck of a lot of govt land that doesn’t allow hunting, even though the land around them are heavily hunted.
                      This is true for South Texas. We have the Atascosa Wildlife refuge here. We are allowed to hunt in some areas but not others. Then after all the hunters are gone the government pays for a private company to come in and slaughter the animals in the areas were we are not allowed to hunt. Their reasoning is that there are too many animals but they won't let the paying public hunt there. They would rather pay some big company to do it and cover it with tax payer dollars. From my point of view the government is turning the public land in to private land by letting a company come in and skip the draw system and even make money off the government.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                        It seems to me the managers of some public land act as if the are frustrated wanna be's. They don't or can't manage some land of their own, so they run public land like it was their own private domain.
                        True, true. Its high time for TPW rotate some new guys in to RCWMA maybe Gus too and rotate some current long time guys to other WMA's.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
                          To my knowledge there's no group actively advocating on behalf public land hunters in Texas.

As someone mentioned there's a chapter of the BHA, though a good group they're focus seems to mostly be on western states.

There's definitely a need for such a group in Texas.

I’m on the state BOD for BHA and we are in the process of formulating policy initiatives. We need to know what we issues we need to prioritize . Please send me specific cases that need our attention and I will pass on to the board so we can write position pieces and start efforts to change policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shallowater View Post
                            I’m on the state BOD for BHA and we are in the process of formulating policy initiatives. We need to know what we issues we need to prioritize . Please send me specific cases that need our attention and I will pass on to the board so we can write position pieces and start efforts to change policy.

Good to hear! I wish we could sticky your post because I’m sure you’re going to be getting a lot of info sent your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                              Good to hear! I wish we could sticky your post because I’m sure you’re going to be getting a lot of info sent your way.

Send it my way. We were brand new in the state last year and had no money and less influence. We are 400-500 members in the state now and need to get to work making our voice heard.

Comment

I would definitely put money into this.

Comment

Working...
                                X