Good clover for central Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good clover for central Texas?

What's a good perennial clover for central tx?

going to be tough to grow unless the plot is high fenced off - deer will mow it down before it can get out of the ground

Comment

If you have the right type ground, and your ph is right, the white clovers are hard to beat. I only have experience with Whitetail Institute clover, and it's been great for me. It likes dirt that's not well drained, and the ph needs to be close to neutral. QDMA has some good clover info on their website.

Comment

Would durana work? I've read that it does fine in central tx, but I've also read that I'm out of its preferred range.

Comment

White or arrowleaf

Comment

I would love to find a clover that would work for our soils in Menard County.
            Last edited by bgleaton; 09-04-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I have planted Madrid and Hubam with great luck in Kendall County. They will not grow more than one year though if planted in the fall(which is best). They do the best in early spring till July/August summer heat gets them. Hubam can reseed itself, Madrid needs two years. Both are taller growing clovers and produce very well when planted with oats, wheat or other smaller grains. A friend of mine planted Madrid in Concho County and it did excellent in those shallow/caliche type soils. It does better with some protection from other plants to help shade it from heat... some weeds or grass can help it grow longer into the summer. I top shred the weeds/grass in May to allow the clover to take off. I have had Madrid Clover get 5'-6' tall by mid August in a wet year.
              Also look into Ladak Alfalfa. I have seen it grow for 2 to 3 yrs in Concho and Tom Greene Counties. It also likes a bit of weed/grass cover from the intense summer heat.

Comment

ive had good luck with arrowleaf and crimson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really want a perennial.

Comment

What clovers are perennials out of Durana, White and Arrowleaf?

Comment

Durana is very drought resistant and a persistent perennial. We plant it in far southeast OK with great success. It will probably be your best choice for a perennial. We plant it in the fall with winter wheat as a nurse crop and also add chicory. The chicory is even more drought resistant and will stay green when the Durana goes dormant in mid summer.

Comment

look up silver river clover, new clover developed by A&M

Comment

Silver River Sweet clover:

Comment

For perennials....Durana white clover or the Whitetail Instutute white clover are hard to beat. I've used Durana for 6 years now and love it. Some years it acts like a reseeding annual because of the summer heat/drought....it goes dormant. But it pops back up come fall either from reseeding or from its roots. Fall planted is best for both.

I've never been able to get either to last a true 12 months in Burleson County. Some of that has been bad luck. Heat/Drought will make it go dormant in ~July. When I have had a wet summer it was doing great but then we have flooded 3 years in a row so it died from being underwater for a month.

I also love the tecomate chicory for a perennial with the clovers above. That stuff is pretty amazing in the heat. It was doing great up until the floods killed it.

Comment

All the Texas seed companies say to go with silver river as well. Not a perennial but it's a reseeding annual.

Comment

Working...
                              X