Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump Kowtows to Animal Rights Activists

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8061911.html

Donald Trump says he is halting a controversial change allowing the import of elephants killed by hunters abroad.

“Put big game trophy decision on hold until such time as I review all conservation facts,” Mr Trump said in a Friday night tweet.

Earlier this week, it emerged that the Trump administration was lifting a ban on importing hunted elephant trophies. The US Fish and Wildlife Service had already moved to begin allowing people to import hunted lion trophies from Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The change drew immediate condemnations from wildlife advocates, who said the change would accelerate the destruction of sensitive species. Both elephants and lions are covered under the Endangered Species Act, a 2015 Fish and Wildlife Service press release announcing lion protections citing the “dramatic decline of lion populations in the wild”.

In an information sheet explaining why it was lifting the elephant import prohibition, the Fish and Wildlife Service noted that Zimbabwe had enacted a national elephant management plan and pointed to improvements in tracking hunting activity and “a more systematic, scientific approach to establish national quotas”.

The Fish and Wildlife Service says on its website that hunting lions can play a “significant role in their conservation”, adding that America is bound by the Endangered Species Act to ensure that “hunters are contributing to the conservation of lions in the wild by participating in hunting programs that provide a clear conservation benefit and contribute to the long-term survival of the species in the wild”.

But the relaxation of restrictions on lion and elephant imports was blasted by Wayne Pacelle of the Humane Society of the United States, who argued that corruption in Zimbabwe – a country grappling with an apparent coup attempt – would undercut proper management and fuel “the pillaging of that nation’s extraordinary wildlife”.

“African elephants and African lions drive billions of dollars of economic activity in Africa,” Mr Pacelle wrote in a blog post. “But they drive that activity only when they are alive. Killing them deducts from their populations, diminishes wildlife-watching experiences for others, and robs the countries of Africa of its greatest resources.”

Do these idiots not understand that most of these animals are killed in refuges to generate money to aid in the protection from poaching? Idiots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No nards

Comment

Social media has been blowing up over this

Shame...

I simply don’t have the desire to hunt one however hunting brings in the plata and gives value to the animals. Other wise they’ll continue to be poached and removed from heavily farmed areas... shame

Charismatic megafauna strike again

Comment

Yes and No! Actually, there was a military takeover (coup) in Zimbabwe earlier this week. The 97 year old President Mugabe was placed under house arrest, along with his 52 year old wife. The situation is very fluid actually. That country (along with Zambia) is at the heart of the elephant import & hunting region. Without understanding of where this is going I understand the "hopefully" temporary halt on imports. Conservation records have shown that the herds are/were stable.........now all bets could be off. Just bad timing honestly!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Yes and No! Actually, there was a military takeover (coup) in Zimbabwe earlier this week. The 97 year old President Mugabe was placed under house arrest, along with his 52 year old wife. The situation is very fluid actually. That country (along with Zambia) is at the heart of the elephant import & hunting region. Without understanding of where this is going I understand the "hopefully" temporary halt on imports. Conservation records have shown that the herds are/were stable.........now all bets could be off. Just bad timing honestly!

That makes more sense.

Comment

The conservation evaluation and explanation will never be a winning effort. Even on the right the just idea of killing an elephant is about the same or much worse than hunting a horse or pet dog. I have heard some of the most stupid stuff ever from right wing media in regards to this issue. Trump has bigger battles he wants to fight look for him to fold on this one.

He actually retweeted Piers Morgan supporting him on this.

Comment

Seems the vast majority of this country is against lifting the ban.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Makes sense

Appreciate the insight as always sir

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                    Seems the vast majority of this country is against lifting the ban.
                    Yes sir........it appears that way. Probably based upon the analogy below akin to horses & dogs. I will say that most American citizens don't even understand bag limits and habitat carrying capacity for deer/geese or even squirrels. We as Americans are sooooo far removed from hunting/fishing that it is NOW an issue in turning that negative tide.
                    Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                    The conservation evaluation and explanation will never be a winning effort. Even on the right the just idea of killing an elephant is about the same or much worse than hunting a horse or pet dog. I have heard some of the most stupid stuff ever from right wing media in regards to this issue. Trump has bigger battles he wants to fight look for him to fold on this one.

He actually retweeted Piers Morgan supporting him on this.
                    Per your first sentence? Do you have another idea that can be implemented or even added to the current list of tactics? Education is all we have from what I can tell. It starts with our own kids/grandkids. Some on TBH have even said there own kids are against or don't understand hunting. WE all are in trouble if we cant even educate our own offspring/family. Definitely open to any "winning strategy" you or anyone else may have?
                    Originally posted by 150class View Post
                    Makes sense

Appreciate the insight as always sir
                    WE gotta win this thing in the trenches. With the Trump son's being advid hunters I doubt the administration is caving but the skirmish will get ugly. Here is something we all can help with........if this is truly something other hunters believe in!!! Hopefully the link inside this text below is HOT as it goes straight to our President and Mr. Zinke.

Member Alert
                    CALL TO ARMS!* SUPPORT*SECRETARY ZINKE & THE FWS DECISION TO IMPORT ELEPHANT TROPHIES FROM ZAMBIA & ZIMBABWE

Use SCI's Action Center to contact President Trump and Secretary of the Interior Zinke now and tell them how much you appreciate the efforts of the Fish & Wildlife Service to remove barriers to sustainable use conservation for African wildlife.*
                    This week the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) announced that elephants legally hunted in Zimbabwe and Zambia between 2016 and 2018 now can be imported into the United States.* The Service made the announcement at the African Wildlife Consultative Forum, an event co-hosted by the Safari Club International Foundation and the host nation of Tanzania.*
                    The news from Africa could not have been better for hunters or for anyone who loves or defends hunting culture.* Hunters around the world play an integral role in wildlife conservation and when their rights are restricted, or import bans put in place, wildlife and local African communities all suffer.
                    This week's FWS announcement is consistent with what conservation scientists and wildlife experts have known for decades—that hunting is beneficial to wildlife and that African range countries know how to manage their elephant populations.
                    Within hours of the announcement, hysterical anti-hunters and news media outlets went into overdrive, attacking everyone in sight, including the Trump Administration, SCI and even the National Rifle Association of America.* And their efforts seem to have paid off as their shrill, negative reactions has caused President Trump to delay the decision until meeting with Secretary Zinke.
                    Here's where you can help.* Call or write now and tell President Trump and Secretary Zinke how much you appreciate the efforts of the Fish & Wildlife Service to remove barriers to sustainable use conservation for African wildlife.* Be respectful and tell them you're a proud hunter, that you're not backing down, and that the facts of conservation science are on your side.
                    Tell them you strongly support the Fish & Wildlife Service's decision to allow the*importation of*elephant trophies from Zambia & Zimbabwe!
                    Safari Club International - First For Hunters is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. SCI's approximately 200 Chapters represent all 50 of the United States as well as 106 other countries. SCI's proactive leadership in a host of cooperative wildlife conservation, outdoor education and humanitarian programs, with the SCI Foundation and other conservation groups, research institutions and government agencies, empowers sportsmen to be contributing community members and participants in sound wildlife management and conservation. Visit the home page www.SafariClub.org, or call (520) 620-1220 for more information.
                    International Headquarters Tucson, Arizona · Washington, District of Columbia · Ottawa, Canada
                    Latest News Join Today 1 Year Membership: $65 3 Year Membership: $150 Life Member: $1500 Join About Us Membership & Chapter Services Publications bear hunting big game hunting big game hunting trips book a hunt deer hunting duck hunting elk hunting guided bear hunts guided deer hunts guided elk hunts guided hunts guided moose hunts hunting advocacy hunting freedom hunting organizations hunting trips international hunting join safari club moose hunting mountain lion hunting safari safari club international safari club membership sci waterfowl hunting where to hunt whitetail deer hunting wildlife conservation
                    Last edited by Landrover; 11-18-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Everyone calm down.

"on hold until..."

Comment

Sent these to the President and Mr. Zinke...........simple way to support OUR rights as hunters and science based conservation!!

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM, SCI Hunter Advocacy Department <media@safariclub.org> wrote:
                        Safari Club International and your fellow sportsmen and women thank you for taking action on this important issue.

You will find copies of your sent messages below:
                        President Donald Trump (R)
                        Dear Mr. President:

I am writing to ask you to direct Secretary Zinke to lift the suspension on the issuance of permits for elephants legally hunted in Zimbabwe and Zambia.

I strongly support Secretary Zinke and the US Fish & Wildlife Service's decision to allow the importation of elephant trophies from the African nations of Zambia & Zimbabwe.

Hunting plays an integral role in wildlife conservation around the world and when hunting rights are restricted or import bans put in place, Africa's wildlife and local African communities all suffer.

This week's FWS announcement is consistent with what conservation scientists and wildlife experts have known for decades--that hunting is beneficial to wildlife and that African range countries know how to manage their elephant populations.

I appreciate the efforts of the FWS to remove barriers to sustainable use conservation for African wildlife. I'm a proud hunter, I'm not backing down, and I know that the facts of conservation science are on my side.

Please allow the decision to authorize the import elephant trophies from Zambia & Zimbabwe to move ahead.

Sincerely,

Oscar Taylor
                        Spring, TX 77386-3805

Ryan Zinke
                        Dear Secretary Zinke:

I am writing to ask you to direct Secretary Zinke to lift the suspension on the issuance of permits for elephants legally hunted in Zimbabwe and Zambia.

I strongly support Secretary Zinke and the US Fish & Wildlife Service's decision to allow the importation of elephant trophies from the African nations of Zambia & Zimbabwe.

Hunting plays an integral role in wildlife conservation around the world and when hunting rights are restricted or import bans put in place, Africa's wildlife and local African communities all suffer.

This week's FWS announcement is consistent with what conservation scientists and wildlife experts have known for decades--that hunting is beneficial to wildlife and that African range countries know how to manage their elephant populations.

I appreciate the efforts of the FWS to remove barriers to sustainable use conservation for African wildlife. I'm a proud hunter, I'm not backing down, and I know that the facts of conservation science are on my side.

Please allow the decision to authorize the import elephant trophies from Zambia & Zimbabwe to move ahead.

Sincerely,

Oscar Taylor
                        Spring, TX 77386-3805

Comment

Trump has voices of reasons from his sons who have been big game hunters. But how does he avoid being the elephant killer?
                          We live in a time when even meat eaters think their steaks come in plastic wrap from HEB.
                          Also even hunters are not hard line supporters for big game hunting for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest is that it’s a big money sport and most will never in their lifetime even participate.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                            Trump has voices of reasons from his sons who have been big game hunters. But how does he avoid being the elephant killer?
                            We live in a time when even meat eaters think their steaks come in plastic wrap from HEB.
                            Also even hunters are not hard line supporters for big game hunting for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest is that it’s a big money sport and most will never in their lifetime even participate.
                            Excellent points and dang true, I don't have the full answer but I do have a starting point.
                            Education is the answer on the first one. The larger conservation/hunting groups are now talking to each other..........which is far different from 6/7/8 or so years ago. Even the NRA is partnering with the larger conservation/hunting groups to get the messages out.
                            Hunters NOT supporting hunters is a very short sighted view from conversations I have had. Just like folks say, "crap rolls downhill!" Be keenly aware, once any type of LEGAL hunting is outlawed be sure the next target is going to be ELK, DEER, etc.............all the way down to rabbit, racoon & squirrel hunters. It will NOT stop at the so-called big game hunters with lots of perceived spare cash under the mattress. I am far from wealthy but I set a goal as a pre-teen that one day I would participate in all types of hunting. I still recall standing with a single shot Savage .410 in my hand as a child listening to the beagles running a rabbit while day-dreaming about hunting around the world one day like the stories in Outdoor Life magazine. If we as hunters don't come together, we will surely watch our favorite activity slowly geaux away!

Comment

The anti hunters and usually the left are good at chipping away at the edges of things while keeping there long term goals in mind. No doubt most hate all hunting and add to that their hate of guns. The big game hunters are easy targets because even the right nor other hunters will fight for their privileges.

Look at how people that hunt big game are made to be villains. It ridiculous!

Your .410 savage story is a familiar one as it was my first long gun!
                              My son would love to go to Africa someday to go big game hunting. I’ve never been but maybe one day we will still be able to go together.

Comment

Working...
                              X