Possible cemetery thief!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible cemetery thief!

My sister stopped to put flowers on my parents grave yesterday. She called me and said the bronze marker is gone. Just a bare spot. She went to the office and they knew nothing about it. Something strange is going on because it was the only one missing in the entire section. I'm stopping by on my way home today and see if there is any new info.

that is odd

Comment

I don't doubt some tweaker would steal from a cemetery.

Gary

Comment

Driving a red Ford............

Comment

Sell it for scrap. About as low as it gets!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            I don't doubt some tweaker would steal from a cemetery.

Gary
            Originally posted by Killer View Post
            Sell it for scrap. About as low as it gets!
            I would think if it was either of these, they would have grabbed one closer to the road. My parents are a ways off. I'm hoping something like the groundskeeper ran over it and is trying to take care of it without telling anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
              Driving a red Ford............
              Have them check security cameras for any TBH sticker sightings.

Comment

A guy at Restland just called my sister. He claims the marker is there and it has sunk below the surface. My sis said she ain't buying it. They are going to send her pics when they "reset it".

Comment

Please keep us updated!

Comment

If what he says is true, they're not maintaining the grounds worth a crap. The marker has been there for a year.

Comment

Bronze markers are disappearing from cemeteries. They are valuable. Thievery of the lowest level.

Comment

If they had to dig it up, clean it and reset it, they durn sure did it in a hurry. Already got a pic.
                        Attached Files

Comment

it must have got knocked off by accident doing the grass or edging i bet?

Comment

Honestly we have had a very wet year.
                            And the patina on the marker definitely points to was buried

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                              Bronze markers are disappearing from cemeteries. They are valuable. Thievery of the lowest level.
                              This maybe. Desecrating a grave site can land you in serious trouble.
                              If yours is the only 1, and it's not by the edge of cemetery property, which allows quick escape, with something that is very heavy, I would say it's just sunken in.
                              Most diggers leave a spot at the head of the grave for the stone, some don't and the monument gets set on the backfill. Most cemeteries do not pack the grave.
                              Within the first yr, you get a lot of settling.
                              I've dug up a bunch in my day, and had to reset them. I've pulled up 500lbs dies that were 3 foot down in the grave before.
                              My father used to tell people, wait at least 6 months to set the stone. Nobody does though. They want a marker out there the day after the funeral, then come back crying and complaining, we set it wrong, or it's our fault, it sunk, or is leaned over. (Not implying this is your case).
                              Flat cemetaries are the worst at upkeep, and they beat markers up pretty good with the mowers. Most of them require that you let them set the stone, not the company you bought it from, and the $8 an hr crackheads they employ, don't care, and generally have no clue what they are doing.

Edit- I see it has been recovered

Comment

Working...
                              X