Recurve shooting form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve shooting form

So I've been practicing with my recurve, but have hit sort of a mental roadblock that hurts my consistency. My mind keeps waiting for that let off of a compound. When I draw to my anchor point, i feel like I don't quite have the ability to use my back and take the tension off my shoulder. However I'm sure the feeling is different in general because there's no let off, so maybe my process of back tension or recognizing it properly is messing me up? Hopefully that makes sense, not sure how to describe it.

It makes sense.

Maybe I am looking at it wrong, but it seems like that your muscles aren't really all that used to that amount of weight and your back perhaps may not be strong enough to hold that weight by itself so your body is unwilling to transfer the load and keeps it distributed. Not to mention there is still a lot of tension in holding that string etc that kind of clouds what is going on.

I am certain I go through this... I probably carry too much weight on certain muscles instead of a full transfer.

The recommendation I'd have is to start off with low weight... you get an better idea of how that hold works at much lower weight. At 50#, I honestly can't tell... and I pretty much try to draw with my back anyways and keep tension off that shoulder.

People, including myself think they have great back strength... when I do a standard pullup, I would love to think I am really engaging the back more... but honestly I am certain I am using more strength in my biceps than my traps/delts... I know this because when I go wide on the bar... I suck at pull ups...

Comment

There are some great form tips on Arne Moe's youtube channel. This one on learning a rotational draw is a good one if you are struggling with proper back tension:

Video showing rotational (angular) drawing technique.

Comment

This^^^^^

Arne has lots of great coaching videos. The video John posted above about the rotational draw helped me immensely!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Buddy of mine who coaches archery in his elementary PE program got fourth and fifth graders to engage back muscles (after watching Arne Moe videos I suggested). Told kids to "squeeze an orange" between shoulder blades to engage the back muscles.

Btw, his team went to Texas state NASP tournament last year for the first time and won second place; went on to nationals and took 10th out of 180 teams.

Comment

I guess. I just don't see how else you would draw. I know you can so a lower draw but with any weight it gets difficult. Maybe I'm just to dumb or have been shooting too long to see the point.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

For me Jimmy Blackmon's instructional videos were easier to understand, and I appreciate the fact that he's a great American hero ( read his book "Pale Horse). He has numerous instructional videos on YouTube.

Comment

This may be wrong but...

I expect to keep every muscle engaged...especially through the shot...follow through...and keep contracting to my second anchor.

Good luck.

Comment

A big part of learning to draw with your back is having a relaxed hand and forearm. As long as your arm muscles are tense, it's hard to let your back do the work. One way I've heard it described is your forearm should be like a limp rope with hooks on the end - the hooks being your fingers. Relax your forearm and hand then use your elbow to close a door behind you - those are the same muscles used in a proper draw.

Comment

It sounds like maybe you are overbowed. I like starting new shooters with a 35lb longbow I keep here just for that reason.

There is real good advice in this post.

Comment

I honestly might be overbowed. I'm using 40# limbs and can definitely draw to my anchor. Going to use the advice above, lots of good stuff. Also worked in some overhead squats during my workout, since they force you to contract your shoulders properly. I think those muscles just haven't been used like that in a while, as I'm pretty sore now haha. Thanks for all the great advice green screen.

Comment

Just a follow up (cause I personally hate not seeing conclusions), this advice helped a ton. I was loading the weight on my arm first and then trying to transfer to my back at peak weight, instead of loading with my back in a rotation. Draw is alot smoother and more consistent. Thanks all

Comment

Google "Rod Jenkins form master"
                          This will show you what muscles it takes to draw your bow with your back. Takes the hand and forearm out of the equation entirely.
                          Did wonders for me when I was starting out.

you can buy one for $50 or make one for about $5.
                          Last edited by shortstroke 91; 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

It's impossible to have really good form if you are overbowed. That being said, as far as back tension goes I may have a little exercise that demonstrates it: Stand facing a full length mirror with bow and arrow. Without nocking the arrow, draw to your anchor pointing directly into the mirror. The arrow is straight in line with it's reflection but your draw arm elbow is still slightly forward and not yet fully in line. Now clinch your back muscles and pull your elbow into line. When you do that with the arrow nocked you will pull through the shot like you are supposed to. It is possible to hold at full draw by letting the back muscles reduce stress on your arms. But I find holding a hunting weight bow too long causes mistakes.so I use it as a release system.

Comment

Watching his lessons now. Perfect weather for backyard shooting.

Comment

Working...
                              X