Hog Hunting on Ray Roberts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Hunting on Ray Roberts

Anyone have any luck? It's been several years since I've hunted there (duck) but even then saw scat in several places along the lake shore. Anyone seeing them in a general area they would be willing to share? I'm not new to public land hunting and walking isn't an issue but also don't want to spend extreme amounts of time wandering around if I don't have to.

Other public land I've hunted (Bois D'Arc, Grasslands, Lavon) it hasn't taken long to find heavy travel areas. Is Ray Bob as infested?

ill be watching this thread

Comment

toddblue68 I sent you a pm.

Comment

I hunt private land that borders the COE land right where FM 922 crosses over the first fork of the lake when you are heading east on FM 922 from I-35. The limited time I deer hunted last year I took a shot at a 250lb range boar (bad shot and did not find him). I also had one walk up to me while I was fixing the timer on the feeder but it was 30min after it got dark. So two sightings within about 8 days of hunting. I know I had a lot of them come in to the feeder at night because the ground below it was continuously being rooted up .

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like the West side might be a good area to scout. The sign I saw was on the north side of the lake off 922. The road is Harpole. It was probably 5 years ago, but I'm sure they're still there.

Comment

Watching and waiting for some good news.

Comment

I'm planning on heading up there some weekend in the near future. I'll post what I find.

Comment

Sadly, life gets in the way. Rode a mtn bike race last weekend and was training prior to that. But hoping to get out this weekend if weather is favorable.

Comment

It has been a few years but we had luck hunting North of Tioga on 377. Take 377 to Hog Town rd. you will go north of Tioga cross the lake and I believe it is your next right. Then go a couple of miles and turn right on Welsh School Rd. till it dead ends. There is an entrance to the Texas Parks and Wildlife hunting area.

This is not a grand slam but we shot 3 hogs over a couple of years. Maybe a 1 hog every 5 trips. We almost always saw or heard them. The lake level will play a major role in your luck. If the water is high the hogs move back to private property. However if the water is a little low you can catch them going from the tree line to the water. We use to sit on the edge of the tree line wait for the hogs to go to water and then move to where they left the trees and would try to ambush them on the way back.

1 important thing. Make sure you have your public lands permit. I believe the Land owner at the end of the road calls the game warden almost every time we went there. He was always nice but then again we were always legal.

The last hunt we did out there we used Hog in Heat and would have really done well if we could have stayed quite and still.

Comment

That just looks like a favorable area for pigs. I also see why the homeowner might call...on occasion being right next to the turn around. I'd guess they might have a few come up in their yard on occasion too though. I've always gone left in Tioga. This has merit on those days when the wind is out of the south.

Thanks guys. Making plans this long weekend already.

Comment

Plenty here....come kill em all!!

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
                        It has been a few years but we had luck hunting North of Tioga on 377. Take 377 to Hog Town rd. you will go north of Tioga cross the lake and I believe it is your next right. Then go a couple of miles and turn right on Welsh School Rd. till it dead ends. There is an entrance to the Texas Parks and Wildlife hunting area.

This is not a grand slam but we shot 3 hogs over a couple of years. Maybe a 1 hog every 5 trips. We almost always saw or heard them. The lake level will play a major role in your luck. If the water is high the hogs move back to private property. However if the water is a little low you can catch them going from the tree line to the water. We use to sit on the edge of the tree line wait for the hogs to go to water and then move to where they left the trees and would try to ambush them on the way back.

1 important thing. Make sure you have your public lands permit. I believe the Land owner at the end of the road calls the game warden almost every time we went there. He was always nice but then again we were always legal.

The last hunt we did out there we used Hog in Heat and would have really done well if we could have stayed quite and still.
                        That was one of the places I checked out. Looked great.

Is it legal to hunt the WMA at night for hogs? Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by MojoTexas View Post
                          That was one of the places I checked out. Looked great.

Is it legal to hunt the WMA at night for hogs? Anyone know?
                          It is not legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                            Plenty here....come kill em all!!
                            Where's here?

Comment

Back at the end of May, I scouted the Culp Branch Unit on the south side of the lake as well as several units south of FM 3002. Saw sign but VERY little of it compared to other places I've hunted in east Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X