Tips on Smokin' Tri-Tip(first time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Smokin' Tri-Tip(first time)

I'm planning on treating it like a brisket. My question is internal temps for when to foil and when done? Same as brisket? About how long should it take? Smoking it with a slab of pork ribs.

I did use the search feature, but couldn't find anything.

I use light smoke and carry to IT of 130 - 135. Wrap in foil and put in cooler for an hour or two

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
      I use light smoke and carry to IT of 130 - 135. Wrap in foil and put in cooler for an hour or two
      That's a heck of a lot easier than a brisket!

Comment

Ttt

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer to do tri-tip much hotter than brisket—300–325 degrees. Pull it at 130. You can overcook it very easily. Check it closely. A little reverse sear is nice. My favorite seasoning for tri-tip is a modified Santa Maria rub: 3 parts kosher salt, 2 parts cracked black pepper, 1 part garlic powder. (Santa Maria rub is traditionally equal parts of all three, but I find the pepper and garlic overwhelming.)

LWD

Comment

Thanks guys. Gonna change my plans up a bit. I already have the ribs on, Ill put the tri-tip on around lunchtime.

Comment

I let it go to 160 IT because my company likes beef well done. Turned out great! Took less than 2 hrs at 275-300 deg.

Comment

I have never cooked one that well done, I'll cook chicken for those who won't eat it right! (Just joking...kind of!LOL)

I have done them over coals just flipping it every few minutes until internal temp was 125 then let it rest. And have used the method in the link below (minus the sauce, horseradish is nasty to me) both with excellent results.
                Level up your grilling skills with our flavorful recipes! Our easy-to-follow instructions and helpful tips guarantee impressive results every time.

Comment

Next time I will cook for myself, thats for sure. This was good though.

Comment

Working...
                  X