Deer Stand Framing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Stand Framing Help

Looking to construct a two person box blind and I'm not a carpenter. Hoping you guys can post some pics of the framing stage during construction. Tying to do a good job with the corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just crossed frame mine and it really made it sturdy at the corners

Comment

Very cool!!

Comment

Thats more or less how we build ours. Rip 2x4s in half for the frames and we build each wall individually so it can be taken apart and reassembled easier than moving a whole blind

Comment

Don't worry about how flimsy it is when you're done framing.....the "skin" is what will stiffen it all up.

Comment

^^^^^*
            This

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Don't worry about how flimsy it is when you're done framing.....the "skin" is what will stiffen it all up.
              this x 2

Comment

I do the windows 40" from the floor. I drill pilot holes and then fasten 2x2's with screws. Drilling pilot holes keeps the wood from splitting. I also have gotten to the point where I spend the $$$ and use the deerview full frame slider windows. I have tried windows several different ways and theirs are the best for making a tight seal. Just follow their framing dimensions found on their website and remember to order waaaaaay in advance. I have also gotten away from plywood as well. I use either Lowes' smart siding or their knotty barn siding. They seem to last a lot longer after you put a couple of coats of their premade oil based barn paint on them. I also trim the corners and around the door with cedar fence pickets ripped in 1.5" strips. Hope this helps...

Comment

Don't cut the window openings in the plywood until after you install the plywood to the frame, then use a router with the a bit with the wheel on the end to cut out the window holes. It makes for a really clean smooth finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    this x 2
                    This seems like a popular thought. What would you consider to be the smallest measurement you would consider using? 2x2? 1x4?

Comment

All of mine are 6'x6'x7'. I use complete 2x4s and also build each wall individually along with the floor and roof. I haul them the 300 miles to my place and myself with one other person will have it up and ready in about an hour. I use shingles for the roof and also add spray foam for any small gaps to discourage wasps from building homes.

Comment

This one was built to stand up to the flood waters of the Lavaca River at my place north of Edna. It sits in the river bottom in a very primo spot.

Heavy and solid and yet still washed away even though it was anchored way more than needed. It was a 100 year flood though. We found it later, salvaged what we could from inside and will build another.

The inside dimensions were 5' x 8' by 8'. I'm 6'5" tall and i need the leg room.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Few more.

That stand was built in 2005. Made it to 2015 lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

There's some good info in this thread. We've got five of this design at our lease and other than a little paint from time to time, they are all in great shape. Plus they are light weight and easy to put up.

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback. Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X