Inks lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inks lake

Any body been on the inks /longhorn cavern doe hunt?
    Me and my brother were drawn for January hunt

Lot of deer but they've gotten Leary around the set stands they use. Hunt managers really want deer killed so they bend over backwards to accommodate out there, you should have a good time plus you can bring an rv and stay in rv area, makes it easy just reserve a spot.

Comment

Oh nice I hope we see some my brother hasn't ever killed a deer so I'm hoping he will get one

Comment

If you don't have an RV rent one of the lakeside cabins. That's what we did. It was cold and glad we were not in tent. Bring an electric space heater if cold. The window units are for cooling not heating. At least when we went several years ago.

Comment

Great folks, I have been there twice, once on a youth hunt, and once for antlerless. They will do all they can to get you where the deer are. Lots of deer in the area. Chris, the guy in charge, is a standup guy, and will accommodate you in any way you need.
          On the youth hunt, only one kid went home empty handed, but they bent over backwards to try to make that not happen. My son shot his first 2 deer of his life within 5 mins of each other on the last day. One deer, after he shot it, we tried to track it, but lost the track. I called chris to come help, he was there within minutes. After about 30 minutes of looking for blood, he noticed the deer floating about 20 yards into the water. He looked at my son and said "Nick, don't worry, we are going to get your deer. When was the last time you were on a boat ride?" We drove back to the hq, called mom and sister to meet us at the boat ramp, and turned that hunting trip into a wonderful adventure that we still talk about.
          On the antlerless hunt, the only folks who went home empty handed were the ones who left early when the weather turned cold.
          I have a lot of good affectionate memories!

Comment

My app is pending 2nd draw

Comment

Hunted the buck/doe hunt a few years ago. Chris is awesome! He will do everything he can to make sure everyone goes home with a deer. We had 11 hunters. Everyone took a deer- 17 between the 11 of us. A few nice bucks. Stands #1 was a good producer. I had #8 shot a doe and had opportunity on a small managent buck. You will have a good time. Tip- bring a stadium seat - it will make your sit much more comfortable. The blinds have wood benches for seats. Good luck!

Comment

We just got drawn for this hunt. I put in because it listed unlimited exotic animals.

I just called the park and they stated they don't have any exotics in the park! ***

Has anyone ever seen an exotic out there? I'm not sure I can afford to blow 3 days of vacation to shoot a doe.

Comment

Family camps there every summer and have hunted there once. I haven't seen exotics.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
                    We just got drawn for this hunt. I put in because it listed unlimited exotic animals.

I just called the park and they stated they don't have any exotics in the park! ***

Has anyone ever seen an exotic out there? I'm not sure I can afford to blow 3 days of vacation to shoot a doe.
                    No exotics, pigs and deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                      No exotics, pigs and deer.
                      lol, great. I finally beat some very long draw odds after applying for several years in 6 states and its for a hunt I didn't research enough.

I'm assuming they won't let me bring a kid or wife to let them shoot instead of me? Even if I'm in the blind with them?

Comment

No guest or swirching hunters. The only exception is on a youth hunt they may allow a different supervising adult than was on application. Otherwise only who was on the application. Just take off 2 days and leave a little early. Odds are you will have a doe by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                          No guest or swirching hunters. The only exception is on a youth hunt they may allow a different supervising adult than was on application. Otherwise only who was on the application. Just take off 2 days and leave a little early. Odds are you will have a doe by then.
                          ****. To me vacation time is more valuable than anything else.

I don't mind blowing days if my wife could shoot something or for axis meat.

Well looks like there might be at least one spot open for a standby hunter.

Comment

+1 on all good feedback on Inks Lake's hunt and Chris.
                            Hunted antlerless few years ago at Inks lake. Shot 2 does in 5 minutes of the first evening. Noticed that my trip was ended too soon rigth after shot the 2nd doe. You may want to bring 1 or 2 bags of corn. Bait was allowed when I hunted.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
                              ****. To me vacation time is more valuable than anything else.

I don't mind blowing days if my wife could shoot something or for axis meat.

Well looks like there might be at least one spot open for a standby hunter.
                              which days?

Comment

Working...
                              X