Colorado Turkey Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Turkey Hunt

I had the good fortune to hunt Merriam's Turkeys in Southern Colorado this past week. Bagged my first Merriam's and had a great time in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niiiice! Congratulations!

Comment

Awesome!!

Out of curiosity, did you hunt public or private?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
        Awesome!!

Out of curiosity, did you hunt public or private?
        It was a private ranch.

Comment

Nice, but that's a hybrid bird I believe.
          We hunted down there one year through Lobo outfitters on a trespass fee unguided hunt. Neat country and plenty of birds.
          Might be the lighting on the pic though.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            Nice, but that's a hybrid bird I believe.
            We hunted down there one year through Lobo outfitters on a trespass fee unguided hunt. Neat country and plenty of birds.
            Might be the lighting on the pic though.
            It's definitely a Merriam's. The turkey on the left was a bit darker but also a Merriam's. There are no RIO's or eastern turkeys in that high country. We were hunting in pretty high elevation. Over 7,000 ft. Must be the lighting on the IPhone 10+ pic.

Comment

The tan color on the tail tips throws me off. We have Rios around here and we're at 7,200 ft. Lots of hybrids also, it's getting hard to find a pure bred rio or merriams.
              Were they still with hens ?
              Beautiful birds, congrats to both of you !!

Comment

Nice birds congrats! Those are great pics and looks like some beautiful country too.

I killed a one in Nebraska few years ago. Someone later told me it was probably a hybrid. I told them that since I went there to hunt merriams.... It's a dang merriams!!!

Comment

Your guide Ryan is a family friend. Great guy. I would love to hunt up there with him and Fred.

Congrats on a beautiful bird!

Comment

The tan color on the tail tips throws me off. We have Rios around here and we're at 7,200 ft. Lots of hybrids also, it's getting hard to find a pure bred rio or merriams.
                    You can't go off of feather tips color. We've killed quite a few birds in the Gila that are a little more buff than white, and there have never been birds released into the Gila that I've ever heard of. Gila birds were seed birds for lots of WY and SD, and from what I've been told are as pure as a Merriam's can possibly be.

These birds were killed within a 1/2 mile of each other, and in the middle of the Gila.

Comment

Nice!! Would love to go one day.

Comment

He was still with hens. Saw lots of toms with hens.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                          Nice birds congrats! Those are great pics and looks like some beautiful country too.

I killed a one in Nebraska few years ago. Someone later told me it was probably a hybrid. I told them that since I went there to hunt merriams.... It's a dang merriams!!!

Hell yeah. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                            Your guide Ryan is a family friend. Great guy. I would love to hunt up there with him and Fred.

Congrats on a beautiful bird!

Man Ryan is a hell of a guy. This was my second time hunting with him. I hunted antelope with them last year. Going back in September for mule deer. Fred has an awesome crew out there.

Comment

Beautiful! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X