Utility trailer refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility trailer refresh

Drug an old family trailer back from East Texas a couple weeks ago. 1993 model if I remember right. Had been sitting with little use and hasty repairs.
    Put some used tires on it to get back home. Figured I would start a thread for y'all to see. I should have taken some pics before but will try to add some as I go.

What I have done so far:
    Remove old lights
    Remove old wire
    Remove A frame jack
    Flip deck boards and re secure
    Weld light boxes on
    Attach ramps

To do:
    Replace wiring
    re-pack bearings
    install brakes on rear axle
    replace tires
    spare tire holder
    pins / flat bar for ramps
    install lights / markers
    Remove paint
    Re paint
    Maybe a storage box

Quick picture of flip up ramps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a view of flipped boards and trailer. Did some test paint removal last night - a flap disc should make quick work.

Comment

Looking good... you may consider led lights. They cost more but they last forever.

Comment

I bought LED markers so far. I have 2 older trailer lights that will go on the rear. When they die, I will put led in there. Only way to kill an led is to break it.

Comment

Looks good so far. I need to refurb my trailer too.

Comment

Utility trailer refresh

Ran fresh wire and brake wire. Welded new jack on. Made a spare tire mount. Also finished the mounted ramps.

Comment

Also tried my first try of heating and hammering a fender back to "round"...won't show a picture of that! Finished at good enough!

Comment

How did you make the spare tire mount?

Comment

Put a stick of all thread on the angle uprights just about 2 inches outside the lug hole-just welded it on. Then welded another piece of angle to the frame slightly un-level to "cradle" that end of the tire. Put a nut and washer on the all thread and tighten up. If you were super smart you would get a nut that is 13/16" in size, same as lug nuts. I have to use a monkey wrench to get tire off, never a problem in my truck though.

Been no progress. Funky weather and schedules, just haven't touched it. Maybe sometime in May I can sand and paint this thing.

Comment

Utility trailer refresh

I hope you have the title or an old registration receipt or paper. Once they are out of the system for 10 years they "disappear". Makes it a pain to get tags, in Montgomery county at least.

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                        I hope you have the title or an old registration receipt or paper. Once they are out of the system for 10 years they "disappear". Makes it a pain to get tags, in Montgomery county at least.
                        True Words!! I'm in the middle of this right now with a 16' lowboy.

Comment

I don't at the moment. Will need to spend some more time looking for it though. On another trailer a couple of years ago, we were able to use the plate and the vin to find everything. Granted that trailer didn't need or have a title because of size. I have done the homemade trailer thing to and that was pretty easy, probably cant be done in this case since the VIN is clearly readable. I haven't been to antsy to get a plate since I am not using the trailer at the moment. Not going to pay for it to sit in my shop!

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                            Put a stick of all thread on the angle uprights just about 2 inches outside the lug hole-just welded it on. Then welded another piece of angle to the frame slightly un-level to "cradle" that end of the tire. Put a nut and washer on the all thread and tighten up. If you were super smart you would get a nut that is 13/16" in size, same as lug nuts. I have to use a monkey wrench to get tire off, never a problem in my truck though.

Been no progress. Funky weather and schedules, just haven't touched it. Maybe sometime in May I can sand and paint this thing.

Can you take a pic

Comment

My photographer skills are as good as my writing skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X