No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Georgetown even have a gun season? I thought it was bow hunting only. Didn't know they had a gun season.

Comment

I think your missing Muzzys point as I too am one of the many that worked to recieve thier permit and started scouting as soon as it was recieved. i have spent many days out there the last 2 months finding trails, sign, others setups to avoid etc... so that come opening season i have a go to spot to hunt (over feeder) and a few other sit and ambush trails as back ups. This being said I already have 4 individuals all in the same general area as mine setup this past week(a week and a half before season opener). I pass all the setups walking into mine. So what am I going to do..? Not much.. I will have to deal with it and get out to my setup even earlier to give them the common courtisy to not push deer out of the area although most did not care to give that common courtisy back and setup alittle farther away or off the trail leading back to the area I hunt. As far as spot and stalk, I dont think he meant to say that spot and stalk hunters are lazy, as more of the people that wait and decide to just start walking around opening weekend without scouting pre season. Do your homework find you some spots respect others setups and be ready come season opener... Yes it is Public land, and Yes people will do what they want... I just think its right to respect your fellow hunters around you and atleast figure out what is the best way to go about your hunt. Kestimator I think it had to do alot with your first post about doing it your way since your entitled to do what you want being public land... I do feelspot and stalk is an effective and fun way to harvest an animal but I dont think it will be the least bit effective hunting georgetown. Just IMHO. That being said goodluck to all and dont be afraid to ask questions so that we can make all of our hunting experiences the best they can be for being... "Public Land". Good day

Comment

Coach I think he is refering to the private areas that surround georgetown come rifle season and to the small game permit hunters that may hunt with shotguns. No rifle hunting allowed on georgetown. How you been?

Comment

Originally posted by Coullion View Post
          If not, just a warning, this attitude is going to make your hunting horrible.
          x2.

It has already been said that the entire hunting program at Lake Georgetown in in jeapordy. If everybody out there is complaining, having rangers investigate issues, then we can probably all kiss the whole thing goodbye. We all have to learn to make the best out of what we have and to resolve our differences without causing more problems. If someone ruins your hunt by using this public land as they see fit (hiking, walking the dog, riding mtn. bikes, etc.) then all we can do is be the better man and walk away. If they are intentionally causing problems (hunter harassment) thats when we need to get the rangers involved. I guarantee that if we all cant get along, it might not happen again next year.

The answer to the question about year round feeders is no, it is not allowed. There are some feeders put out by the rangers in the wildlife management area that may be out all year. It's possible that those are what you have seen or heard about. It is also possible that some hunters may have left feeders out all year. If they did, they werent allowed to, they just broke the rules and didnt get caught. Season is about to start, so lets all put the indifferences behind us and enjoy the opportunity we have while we have it. Life is too short to butt heads with everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
            Does Georgetown even have a gun season? I thought it was bow hunting only. Didn't know they had a gun season.
            The only "gun season" they offer is for small game (dove, squirrel, rabbits, ducks). There are quite a few gun hunters on the surrounding properties though.

Comment

I will be swinging by on my mountain bike to say hello to everyone opening morning! What time should I come by your spot snipehunter?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckrunner View Post
                I will be swinging by on my mountain bike to say hello to everyone opening morning! What time should I come by your spot snipehunter?

Comment

I wasn’t trying to make waves. I understand that best case scenario you will still have people come in on you but some of this can be avoided. After scouting an area in preseason you might be able to get a rough ideal of were higher concentrations of hunters are and thus possible try to avoid these areas if at all possible. And spot and stalk can be an effective means of harvesting deer, and most certainly can be more rewarding to some. However, some areas depending on the circumstances can be more difficult for this to be effective IMO. And hunting over bait is for some and not for others and I completely respect that but one can still hunt game trails very effectively without a feeder from a stationary point. Kestimator I apologize if I offended you I never intended to make waves I was just trying to help us all have the most successful season possible, I wish the best of luck to all this season and hope to see yall out in the field. I agree with TXbowhunter that we should all do are part to keep the program running and do what we can to help not only the rangers but other hunters as well enabling the continuation of the program for others to enjoy for years to come.

Comment

I am all jokes! No worries from me. I hunt across the fence...

Comment

Hey yall, look at the doe on the left side of this pic. Only her face is shown. She looks ancient, her face is all black.

Comment

Are you sure it is a doe? Looks like his face a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckrunner View Post
                          Are you sure it is a doe? Looks like his face a little.

Hmmm.....could be, I just assumed it was a doe because that spike had a doe with him everytime he showed his face. Could be him I guess. He definitely shows some age. What side of the lake was he on?

Comment

Just got back in from retrieving a friend's feeder and blind outside of Cherokee; and then setting up another one. See...I'm not totally lazy

Sounds good to me Muzzy100! Hope that you have a good season!

Wise words TexasBowhunter2009!!!

Due to family obligations (i.e. taking kids to and from school, Tae Kwon Do, etc...), and work; I'll be limited to trying to hunt roughly between 10AM and 1PM. most days. I was thinking about trying entering Russell Park and hiking "way" in to hopefully get past any close set-ups. Will this put me in jeopardy of messing up any of your all's set-ups?

Sounds like it's going to be rather congested out their. Perhaps a jogging suit would be better camo

Comment

Question. If you see a doe first are you going to go ahead and take the shot or wait in hopes of seeing a legal buck? So early in the game,
                              What is everybody’s thoughts

Comment

Probably take a doe,that's all that's been at my feeder

Comment

Working...
                                X