Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kestimator View Post
    Folks also seemed to be unclear on the use of mountain bikes for hunting. Do you know what is really OK in regards to their use?
    It is ok to use mountain bikes, I've done this many times and checked with Teri Beth before doing so. All the trails are open to ANYONE for mountain biking year round (even during deer season, I dont quite agree with this).

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
      In my opinion, spot & stalk at any areas accesible on foot would probably be a waste of time. There are tons of prople using the trails around the lake for walking, mountain biking, and walking their dogs. The deer populations are fewer and more jumpy in these areas as well. Your best bet would be to pick a spot with fresh sign on a heavily used game trail and wait. It's hard hunting out there at times, but with lots of pre-season scouting and alot of patience it can be productive.
      x2!!!!

Comment

Thanks TXBowhunter2009!!!
        I agree that spot and stalk on whitetails is very difficult typically and that stand hunting is best.
        It takes so long to type up every thought.
        Hopefully, in my initial stalk/scouts I'll get a feel of where people are set up so that I can stay away from those areas, for safety as much as for courtesy.
        I was under the impression that the "hunting areas" were to be closed to the general public once the season began. That's a little disconcerting if that is not the case. I did hear of at least one hunter at the qualification shoot saying that he encountered a person walking her dogs on a trail that he was hunting near. He said that he reported her to the Corps Office and they sent an officer to educate her on the posted signs regarding "hunting in progress". Again, these types of inconsistencies are things that I'm trying to figure out so that I can tread as lightly as possible, have some fun, and hopefully put some meat in the freezer
        Cool deal on the mountain bike thing. I may employee that option.
        Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
          Yes, this is the public land, always have to deal with crowd. I am not against stalk hunt at all. But doing that in the early season would not be a good idea, because the field will be packed with hunters. Starting from mid-Nov, fewer and fewer people will show up, that may be a good time to do it. Also, some people spend lots of efforts to find a "good" spot in deep wood and set it up, especially in the **** hot texas summary time, we should keep that in mind and respect others' hard work. If you need to know a field, you may want to scout it before the season. On the other hand, I don't think stalk hunt of deer is productive.
          Hope everyone have a good season and enjoy every momment of your hunt, good luck.
          x2!!!!

Comment

Thanks TXBowhunter2009!!!
            I agree that spot and stalk on whitetails is very difficult typically and that stand hunting is best.
            It takes so long to type up every thought.
            Hopefully, in my initial stalk/scouts I'll get a feel of where people are set up so that I can stay away from those areas, for safety as much as for courtesy.
            I was under the impression that the "hunting areas" were to be closed to the general public once the season began. That's a little disconcerting if that is not the case. I did hear of at least one hunter at the qualification shoot saying that he encountered a person walking her dogs on a trail that he was hunting near. He said that he reported her to the Corps Office and they sent an officer to educate her on the posted signs regarding "hunting in progress". Again, these types of inconsistencies are things that I'm trying to figure out so that I can tread as lightly as possible, have some fun, and hopefully put some meat in the freezer
            Cool deal on the mountain bike thing. I may employee that option.
            Thanks again!
            Yeah, nothing gets closed when hunting season starts. They put up signs saying "hunting in progress", but thats about it. In the last few years while hunting out there I've had people walking dogs come near my stand, seen 10 people on mountain bikes come flying down the trail within 80yds of my stand, 2 people on horseback rode up the game trail to my feeder, and one morning 5 joggers were running down the trails singing just after first light! I gave up on hunting near walk-in areas, from now on I go in by boat and set up as far off the beaten path as possible. If you are goin in from Tejas, be careful when the late dove season starts (12/26-1/7 I beleive). 2 years ago I got peppered repeatedly while in my tree stand by dove hunters that seemed to be just shooting up into the air. FYI, shotguns are not allowed when archery season starts, but during general season starts in November, they're legal for small game with the small game permit. It's public land, so we have to deal with it.

Comment

cy100,
              Where do you feel are some "less crowded" areas that I might enjoy? Sounds like you've got some experience out there? Tejas looks pretty filled up? I'm also planning on doing the "limited access" thing when they get that figured out.

Am I understanding you correctly that you and others have in fact placed and maintained stands and feeders at Lake G-town in the Summer, even thought the the website states...

Blinds, Stands and Feeders: Natural hunting blinds made of loose materials, Ashe Juniper (cedar) 3" and under in base diameter and portable blinds that are removed after each hunting trip are authorized for hunting deer, feral hogs or waterfowl. Hunting blinds or stands may not be nailed to trees. However, portable stands may be secured to trees with rope or wire if removed after each hunting trip. Feeders are authorized for deer and feral hog hunting. All blinds and feeders must be tagged with the owners name, address, phone number and date installed. Feeders may be set up one month prior to the archery season and must be removed prior to or on the last day of the deer season. All property failing to meet these requirements will be impounded. Hunters are encouraged to report all property failing to meet these requirements.

Is this OK to do?
              Terri Beth acknowledged that there were practices that were " kind of OK" that went on that contradicted what the website said. Another example is the hunter education thing. Texas does not require folks in my age category to have a hunter education class, but the Lake G-town website said that you did. That is the reason that I never got around to entering the program until this year, when I and my buddy took a hunter safety course. When I went to pay the $10 registration fee, it said on that paperwork that I was exempt from the course because of my age. Oh well...
              Folks also seemed to be unclear on the use of mountain bikes for hunting. Do you know what is really OK in regards to their use?

Thanks!
              Don't get me wrong. If you ever tried to pull several hundred pounds of equipment and corns under 110 degree without lots of shade, and walked 1000 yrds or 1 mile, then, you will understand what I mean "hard work". Even, I didn't mention poison grass, skeeter, spider, rattles, ... I don't think it is hard to have this kind of weather in the early sept. People usually start to scout after they got permit in aug. I still conside this period of time is a summary time.
              Again, you must tag your equipment, otherwise they will be removed by rangers. I know that happens on someone who didn't do that.

Comment

Wow! ...and goodness! Thanks for the additional pointers and informationTXBowhunter2009! Seems like it is going to be a little different than I had envisioned.

Comment

Ok I hate to be the @$$ whole here but for the record you are allowed to set up your blind as soon as you get your permit. FYI I got my permit in the dead heat late this summer early fall and have busted my rear end to set up my blind and feeder and continue to maintain it and for what? Someone who is lazy and just wants to walk around and hope to shoot one. Indeed it is public land and you are entitled to do whatever method that is legal and suites you best but please just remember that as you walk around trying to kill your deer that you will be walking past and ruining a plethora of other hunter’s hunts. Realistically you would be better off finding a good spot and setting up an ambush more effectively than you would be just roaming around. I would say that if this was vast open country with a variety of terrain than go for it but its not. The area is limited in space and just look at the number of permits they have given out there is a lot of sets out there. I have scouted just about every area out at the lake and have seen countless hunters’ sets, so it is safe to say that they are out there and by aimlessly roaming around you will indeed ruin others hunts. Keep that in mind when your only justification to your plan is “well its public land and you can expect it.” Just my two cents I know its not going to change anybody else’s mind people will do whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
                    I went out yesterday. Things are lookin good, alot more deer and less coons on the cam!
                    good news, everything is starting to shape up good luck

Comment

cy100,
                      Where do you feel are some "less crowded" areas that I might enjoy? Sounds like you've got some experience out there? Tejas looks pretty filled up? I'm also planning on doing the "limited access" thing when they get that figured out.
                      We are here to share our enjoyful moment and help each. No intend to point the finger.
                      The most reason I enjoy to hunt at public land is because there are more challenges. We do not only play with the games, but also have to "play" with other hunters. Keep in mind, if somewhere you can easily access, then it does so for others. I always look for some hard access places, or some places most people will ignore. You mentioned special hunt, it is one good way to away from crowd too, if you can hunt during weekday. Another way to away from crowd is to play the "time". If it is allowed, get one week off and concentrate on the hunt for 3-5 days. Since not many people do that, you will definitely find out you are alone in the field.
                      I did get some lucks in the past by all above methods. Hope it can give you some helps.

Comment

Also, other hunting is taking place at the lake. A buddy and I had to deal with a few bowhunters who thought it was ok to cuss,yell and try to park his boat 10 yards from me while we were doing some other hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
                          We are here to share our enjoyful moment and help each. No intend to point the finger.
                          The most reason I enjoy to hunt at public land is because there are more challenges. We do not only play with the games, but also have to "play" with other hunters. Keep in mind, if somewhere you can easily access, then it does so for others. I always look for some hard access places, or some places most people will ignore. You mentioned special hunt, it is one good way to away from crowd too, if you can hunt during weekday. Another way to away from crowd is to play the "time". If it is allowed, get one week off and concentrate on the hunt for 3-5 days. Since not many people do that, you will definitely find out you are alone in the field.
                          I did get some lucks in the past by all above methods. Hope it can give you some helps.
                          Thanks for the productive comments and advice cy100!

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                            Ok I hate to be the @$$ whole here but for the record you are allowed to set up your blind as soon as you get your permit. FYI I got my permit in the dead heat late this summer early fall and have busted my rear end to set up my blind and feeder and continue to maintain it and for what? Someone who is lazy and just wants to walk around and hope to shoot one. Indeed it is public land and you are entitled to do whatever method that is legal and suites you best but please just remember that as you walk around trying to kill your deer that you will be walking past and ruining a plethora of other hunter’s hunts. Realistically you would be better off finding a good spot and setting up an ambush more effectively than you would be just roaming around. I would say that if this was vast open country with a variety of terrain than go for it but its not. The area is limited in space and just look at the number of permits they have given out there is a lot of sets out there. I have scouted just about every area out at the lake and have seen countless hunters’ sets, so it is safe to say that they are out there and by aimlessly roaming around you will indeed ruin others hunts. Keep that in mind when your only justification to your plan is “well its public land and you can expect it.” Just my two cents I know its not going to change anybody else’s mind people will do whatever they want.
                            Muzzy have you hunted out there before? If not, just a warning, this attitude is going to make your hunting horrible. If you hunt out there a significant amount of time, someone's going to walk up on you. I hunted out there 1 year and had enough. I had people camping at the parks and would walk right out by you to do their business. People always on the trail, lots of people let their dogs off of the leash until they see someone. Neighbor's that all have their own personal trails to the lake through the hunting area. Oh yea, all the neighbors have feeders too, so your competing against that. Then in Nov starts squirrel, rabbit, and dove hunters in the field. Then a little later you have duck hunters hitting the water. All this and I was getting out there by boat so I was a good ways away from the busy sections.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of does and spikes to be shot if you set up correctly, but two years ago there were only about 5 bucks shot that were 13 inches. They usually don't get more than 20 buck permits. It's a great place to go if it's all you have, but expect to have your hunts screwed up by someone every now and then so that your not so upset when it happens.

Comment

Muzzy100,

You are entitled to you opinion and the right to state it, though not very maturely IMO.

If it is OK (I asked this question in an earlier post) to put up a feeder and blind before or even at the time that we received our permits, it is in contradiction to what is printed on the website. I'm asking these questions more in preparation for next year if these are acceptable and legal practices at the lake. I may go this route if it is really OK.

Choosing to not hunt a feeder does not necessarily make one lazy. I have killed quite a few animals at feeders and enjoyed it. However, my most memorable and enjoyable hunts have not had me setting over a pile of corn. I do prefer discovering game trails and staging near them versus hunting a feeder. I also like spot-in-stalk for the very nature of the challenge, though acknowledging its limits in regards to actually procuring game.
                              I welcome any productive / grown-up opinions. I would especially like (and do really appreciate the nice advice received already from a few) pointers and tips from those of you that are old hands at Lake G-town.

Comment

One other bit of advise, once gun season opens, your deer sightings will dwindle considerably, it will sound like WWIII, you'd swear there were snipers covering the entire property line.

Comment

Working...
                                X