arrow setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrow setup

Hello, need some opinions here on arrow setup for elk. Currently shooting hoyt rampage xt, 27.5 in draw at 64#. arrows are 26.5 in.. Easton axis 400 spine with 100gr rage.. Thinking I should be shooting heavier arrow for elk, but this set up shoots good. What do yall think about just bumping up to 125gr bh? Am I over thinking this?

Originally posted by SpankyWF View Post
    Hello, need some opinions here on arrow setup for elk. Currently shooting hoyt rampage xt, 27.5 in draw at 64#. arrows are 26.5 in.. Easton axis 400 spine with 100gr rage.. Thinking I should be shooting heavier arrow for elk, but this set up shoots good. What do yall think about just bumping up to 125gr bh? Am I over thinking this?
    Honestly that set up seems light IMO, at a minimum I would swap to a good COC 2 blade head.

My current elk setup is a Hoyt Defiant 28" with CE Maxima Red 300s cut to 26.5" with 100g brass inserts and 100g Ramcat Single Bevel 3 blade. Total weight of 495 grains with 16% FOC

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. If I just went 125g bh. I would be around 400 grains with 12% foc. still light but if I put it in there it will do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by SpankyWF View Post
        Thats what I was thinking. If I just went 125g bh. I would be around 400 grains with 12% foc. still light but if I put it in there it will do the job.

Possibly, but I’d still leave the rages at home.

Prime example...my uncle was shooting the hyperdermics and while stalking through the mountains one of his blades cane in clipped from the retaining ring and it cost him a shot at a bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea I could see that happening. Would make me sick. I am going to leave them and go fixed blade. Not sure which ones yet. Thanks for the input

Comment

Go with a 125 grain head that’s a cut in contact and you’re good. Saw a post with a guy shooting almost the same specs with a 420 grain arrow and took a frontal on a bull at 52 yards. Arrow went in the chest and exited 6 inches of the back hind quarter. Don’t over think it. But also don’t shoot into shoulder bones either. lol. Placement is key regardless of what you shoot.

Comment

You could get a nice bump by dropping down to a 350 spine and loading it up. Try to get to the 450ish mark, more than enough arrow for elk. I would also look at a good fixed blade head like a slick trick or QAD exodus.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                You could get a nice bump by dropping down to a 350 spine and loading it up. Try to get to the 450ish mark, more than enough arrow for elk. I would also look at a good fixed blade head like a slick trick or QAD exodus.

Both of those heads would be more than sufficient! [emoji1303]

Comment

I’ve never shot an elk. But I have shoot a couple of other animals same size or bigger. So this is my opinion and information by testing.

By physics alone mass is what penetrates. So will a 400gr work yes but 450 will be better and then a 500 even better and so on.

So you got to look at what you are comfortable with. All arrows with the correct broadhead will kill on a perfect shot, but what happens if you make not so good shot or the elk moves.

This is why I would shy away from arrows in low 400’s. I would look at closer to the 500 mark. This weight has always seem to be a good weight for all around weight. But using the correct head is very important. If I was going elk hunting I would prolly push my set up to 550 to 600. That way I can take just about any angle shot. Increase my shot chances

I would also look at foc. I’m an efoc builder. But anything in the 15 to 19% is great. More is even better,but tuning changes when you get above 20%.
                  Last edited by enewman; 07-28-2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Yea I'm just going to go with 125g bh. I probably should have made changes earlier. not a month before season..
                    Last edited by SpankyWF; 07-28-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Arrows will not tune with 125 head. Looks like I’m buying new arrows. Moving to 340 spine.

Comment

Working...
                      X