Select Baseball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this isn't a Select Bball question(s).

my son (going into dads pitch this year) is having to use the new USA bat standard. this will be his first year in it. he's 5yo and will be 6yo in a few months. what length to weight ratio is anyone using?
    Last edited by Choppa311; 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM. Reason: adding dialogue

Comment

Originally posted by Choppa311 View Post

my son (going into dads pitch this year) is having to use the new USA bat standard. this will be his first year in it. he's 5yo and will be 6yo in a few months. what length to weight ratio is anyone using?
      I think most you will find are -11 or -13. Meaning a 24" long x 13oz (-11). Most tee ball bats are only 24" to 26" long. Don't stress over this. Just get him one that he thinks looks cool.

Comment

i am not familiar with the usa bats, i would guess 25-26" and -10 to -12 would be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Choppa311 View Post

How tall is he? You can find charts showing the suggested length by how tall they are. We have found that the less experienced players do better with an inch shorter then what the chart says.

For the drop size it is hard to say. Is he strong for his age/size. If he is big/strong -10, average to below average strength -12.

These are just suggestions, but what I have see work IMO.

Edit: Forgot to say: You may not want to spend to much on a bat, in that age group they grow so fast, you will likely have to buy a new one every season. Now if you move into select you will be playing a lot more game and may want to spend more. But for just LL, May not be worth the paying a bunch of money. Once again IMO
          Last edited by Richardcranium4; 02-15-2018, 03:11 PM. Reason: Added info.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcranium4 View Post
            How tall is he? You can find charts showing the suggested length by how tall they are. We have found that the less experienced players do better with an inch shorter then what the chart says.

For the drop size it is hard to say. Is he strong for his age/size. If he is big/strong -10, average to below average strength -12.

These are just suggestions, but what I have see work IMO.

Edit: Forgot to say: You may not want to spend to much on a bat, in that age group they grow so fast, you will likely have to buy a new one every season. Now if you move into select you will be playing a lot more game and may want to spend more. But for just LL, May not be worth the paying a bunch of money. Once again IMO
            yeah. won't be spending much on it right now. like you stated, i'm sure we will have to get a new one each year. i guess i'll just see what others may be doing with bats.

Comment

Our weather outlook is getting better and better...

Comment

Woo hoo - chances are still high, but it shows it going away early afternoon.

Come on light rain, dont start a downpour.

Comment

My 10u is still playing, they pushed start time back to 11. Our 7u tournament was canceled so the coach scheduled practice at 12 still won't be able to make it to Bells to see Brock.

Comment

Games were moved back 2 hours, then another 2 hours, now pushed back till tomorrow... $$$$ looks like we will go all day tomorrow.

Comment

Suns out at bbusa

Comment

Went 2-0 , number 1 seed with 33 runs, no runs against.. boys were on fire today ..2 errors...no runners made it to second except two...one made it to second on a wide throw..other to third on a wide throw but he almost got tagged a throw from dugout fence to third...
                        Tough teams tomorrow though..cant let up on the gas.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          Went 2-0 , number 1 seed with 33 runs, no runs against.. boys were on fire today ..2 errors...no runners made it to second except two...one made it to second on a wide throw..other to third on a wide throw but he almost got tagged a throw from dugout fence to third...
                          Tough teams tomorrow though..cant let up on the gas.
                          Dang boys ballin...

We are playing in the rain right now, I think we lost the first game by a couple runs, it's more of a scrimmage format though. Brock had a single and walk in 2 AB's and pitched an inning with a K, a walk, no hits and no runs.

About to start game 2... it's cold! And wet!

We are supposed to play 3 today, we'll see

Comment

Another shutout ... go again at 245

Comment

How did yall end up - Did I see fire on the field in Bells ?

We didnt do great. Got a game in Sat for pool play that we won. Got in a win against a lower level team the first game of bracket play. Kiddo did well, but definitely needs some work at the plate. Pitched 3 innings in the bracket win. Gave up 2 earned and had 3 ks. Played some CF and 2nd base as well. Had 2 catcher interference on him, lol. It was weird, but glad to have the first one down.

I missed his pitching while watching the Daughter get some volleyball in. Prosper to East Dallas for a 715am meet up time. Finished that tournament at 330pm and made it to the Final game of bracket play back up in Mckinney. Almost karate kicked the volleyball Coach for a comment she made to my little one. I was exhausted.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                                How did yall end up - Did I see fire on the field in Bells ?

We didnt do great. Got a game in Sat for pool play that we won. Got in a win against a lower level team the first game of bracket play. Kiddo did well, but definitely needs some work at the plate. Pitched 3 innings in the bracket win. Gave up 2 earned and had 3 ks. Played some CF and 2nd base as well. Had 2 catcher interference on him, lol. It was weird, but glad to have the first one down.

I missed his pitching while watching the Daughter get some volleyball in. Prosper to East Dallas for a 715am meet up time. Finished that tournament at 330pm and made it to the Final game of bracket play back up in Mckinney. Almost karate kicked the volleyball Coach for a comment she made to my little one. I was exhausted.
                                Haha dang, in glad my young ones tourney got canceled, but the next 2 weeks both will be going.

We played well against the eagles in game 2, we didn't touch their big lefty the first 2 innings but after they pulled him we scored 5. Had them held to 3 when time expired but let them finish the inning and they scored 3 more.

We played the Texarkana Rangers in game 3 and they got to one of our best pitchers for 8 runs in the first 2 innings, we closed it to 8-5 but fell short and couldn't get hits when we needed them in the 6th.

He only pitched our boys 1 inning at a time, except for the first 2 innings of that last game, all in all our pitching and defense was good except for two 5 run innings we gave up in games 1 and 3. Hitting was spotty but it should come around.

Back at it again next weekend at Oak Grove.

Comment

Working...
                                X