No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of line are you all using for inshore Specks and reds? Mono, Floro or braid and which brand? Ive used 12 pound Berkley Big Game for years with no problem, Just curious what you all are using. Ready to hit the coast

Comment

I use 8 and 10 lb Seaguar fluorocarbon - filling reels to capacity. Offshore, leaders are 40 - 200lb 25ft to 50 yard fluorocarbon wind-ons. Surf is 50 - 60lb fluorocarbon top-shot leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
        what kind of line are you all using for inshore Specks and reds? Mono, Floro or braid and which brand? Ive used 12 pound Berkley Big Game for years with no problem, Just curious what you all are using. Ready to hit the coast
        I'm currently using 30lb braid (Jerry Brown) with a fluoro leader (15-20lb). I've used Power pro regular and super slick 8, Suffix 832, Finns XL and had pretty good luck with all of them.

I recently read an interesting take on fluoro and Galveston bay complex water. They stated that very rarely is galveston water gin clear therefore spending high dollar on flouro isn't necessary. I'll probably switch back to a good abrasion resistant mono when I run out of fluoro.
        Last edited by Lafitte23; 04-05-2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

That is my go to string. Has been for nearly 15 years. Caught everything from a 10 Flattie to a 81lb black drum on it. I usually keep a couple spools in the bag at all times. I will use a fluorocarbon leader when throwing plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-aro View Post
            I use 20# Power Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              That is my go to string. Has been for nearly 15 years. Caught everything from a 10 Flattie to a 81lb black drum on it. I usually keep a couple spools in the bag at all times. I will use a fluorocarbon leader when throwing plastics.
              Yeah I’ve had similar results. Nothing over 30 pounds.

Comment

Typically don't keep a lot of fish so I don't have a ton of pics. But POC has been decent. I have caught mostly reds on mud/grass shorelines and the trout on shell with grass pockets in waist to thigh deep water. All were caught on topwaters (mirrolure chartreuse or red/white) or on soft plastics - morning glory/chartreuse and pumpkinseed/chartreuse.

Need to head to the greens, hopefully will head that way next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 15lb stealth braid on my 2 7'medium setups with 2500 series reels. Use these for popping cork, tops, big swim baits.
                  And on my 6'6 ML with a 2000 series reel i throw 10lb braid. Use this one for weightless or weedless plastics for specks.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                    mine too for more than 20yrs, although I have a few reels with 14lb spooled for the surf where the fish can be a little stronger.

Comment

Line considerations

Mono floats with stretch

Fluorocarbon sinks with nearly zero stretch

Topwater baits and or upper water column swim baits, mono keeps it up higher in the column

Fluorocarbon baits and or braid, tend to swim deeper in the water column.

If you feel your missing specks from short strikes, casting lures using Fluoro or braid.......it may the action of the rod you are using coupled with braid and or fluoro where the bait isn’t laying in the trout’s mouth long enough, before you react to the strike. Fast actioned rods (stiffer) with braid and or flouro lines, react faster, and the hookset is either pulled before the fish closes its mouth and or the power of the strike rips that specks super soft mouth.

Softer - more parabolic rod blanks using fluoro and or braid lines, will allow that bait to lay in there just a few microseconds longer at the bait pickup. And it also softens the hook-set, so that specks super soft mouth, doesn't have the hook ripped out, missing hookup.

I use a 7ft popping rod actioned blank, for my predominate swimbait and leadhead speck setups, using flouro.

With mono rigs, I will use a faster actioned blank, since mono will have a bit more stretch, which offsets the effect.

Most anglers don't consider the blank and line action equation, when pursuing speckled trout. It's not the same as redfish or bass...or literally any other inshore gamefish.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                        Line considerations

Mono floats with stretch

Fluorocarbon sinks with nearly zero stretch

Topwater baits and or upper water column swim baits, mono keeps it up higher in the column

Fluorocarbon baits and or braid, tend to swim deeper in the water column.

If you feel your missing specks from short strikes, casting lures using Fluoro or braid.......it may the action of the rod you are using coupled with braid and or fluoro where the bait isn’t laying in the trout’s mouth long enough, before you react to the strike. Fast actioned rods (stiffer) with braid and or flouro lines, react faster, and the hookset is either pulled before the fish closes its mouth and or the power of the strike rips that specks super soft mouth.

Softer - more parabolic rod blanks using fluoro and or braid lines, will allow that bait to lay in there just a few microseconds longer at the bait pickup. And it also softens the hook-set, so that specks super soft mouth, doesn't have the hook ripped out, missing hookup.

I use a 7ft popping rod actioned blank, for my predominate swimbait and leadhead speck setups, using flouro.

With mono rigs, I will use a faster actioned blank, since mono will have a bit more stretch, which offsets the effect.

Most anglers don't consider the blank and line action equation, when pursuing speckled trout. It's not the same as redfish or bass...or literally any other inshore gamefish.
                        Now you want to get all scientific..., thanks for the info

Comment

Man, those are nice pics

Comment

braid. I've used nothing but braid for the last 10 years or so, and can't stand using mono anymore. way more sensitivity, less rod action required for hook sets and working lures. You just need to turn the drag down to make up for the lack of stretch in the line. I've used several types and for the last couple years have been using fins, just because I got a good deal on some 3000 yard spools. I usually use 20 lb test on just about everything... for reels that clients or whoever uses, I can spool up a 2500 size spinning reel, and catch any trout, red, or drum on it. smaller reel, greater length of line from braid's smaller diameter, same fish catching ability.
                            Last edited by kyle1974; 04-05-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Wet wading at night has been pretty decent the past couple of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                                Surf fishing Padre Island surf - FLORIDA POMPANO is the target. One of the best inshore species on the table - which includes and rivals flounder. Run and cast the strand, long casting true surf tackle. A passion of mine and basically what I've done my entire life.

Tackle - some custom surf rods I've built, fully capable of popping 150 - 180 yard casts with 3 - 5 ounces of lead. For Florida Pompano, you need distance to cover the bar zones from 3rd to 2nd.

Couple of weeks ago - fished off color water, 2 - 3ft surf and found a pattern around Big Shell.

Tackle are custom made Pompano leaders with various colored FishBites - artificial bait.

Two sticks on heavier rigs to hold and one stick casting 3 ounces to drift and cover ground. If I don't pick something up in 20 minutes, I roll looking for coquina shells, ghost shrimp holes and shore birds that specifically feed on surf side coquina clams.

Largest this year went 23"

Oh goodness Pomps are unbelievable!

Custom made specifically for Pompano - POMP GUN

I must admit, I didnt know you could eat Pompano. Hmmp

Comment

Working...
                                X