No announcement yet.

Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fell about 13' taking down a 15' ladder stand. Fractured L4, bruised heels (think black feet) and almost landed on a 4wheeler.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.

What if you ended up paralyzed?
      Your family will be placed with huge burden.
      That ok with you too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
        While we will both catch crap over this. I agree with you. At 52 years of age the only time a harness has ever been worn was when a camera was involved. Everyone has their opinions and I do not think any less of someone for wearing one. They are just not my thing.

-john

Comment

Just don't fall. Replace your straps regular and pay attention to what you're doing. I stand a better chance of falling of the ladder cleaning gutters than out of my ladder stand.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you are okay, falls are not a good thing even for the healthy youngsters. Here's the story from 2010 when Eassttexasbowbender fell from his platform in Votaw. He spent 17 days in the hospital with broke ribs, several fractures to his spine and a shoulder fracture.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=nephew

Hope you super heroes think it over on using the fall protection.

Comment

Just don't fall. Replace your straps regular and pay attention to what you're doing. I stand a better chance of falling of the ladder cleaning gutters than out of my ladder stand.

Second dumbest thing you’ve posted. If you think for one second that falls are intentional or planned, you are crazy. Just like car accidents...they happen when you least expect it. I’m betting you wear your seatbelt while driving? Same thing here. If you’d like to stop acting like you’re invincible, that would be best for the rest of the folks considering wearing a harness. Not sure if you have kids or not, but I hope you don’t.

Skinny

Comment

Skinny I'm sorry you're afraid of falling but I'm not. I've tried the harnesses and it's not my thing. Not worth the struggle to me but for one exception. Climbing stands. I don't use one often but when I do I use a harness.

Comment

No one listen to this guy. Man I'm glad you're not my dad. Or my brother. People on here have posted stories about falling out of a ladder stand (one of them died) and you're basically advertising to other people not to use a harness. Young people read this stuff and one of them might actually believe you're right. If you don't wanna wear one that's your problem, but don't get on here and let anyone mistake that for advice.

Comment

Really hate to read about any hunter who gets hurt or dies from a tree stand fall. It is preventable accident. My good buddy who normally wears one took a fall last year and he is still dealing with the leg injury. Please wear one so we do not have to read about you on TBH or in the news.

Comment

Skinny I'm sorry you're afraid of falling but I'm not. I've tried the harnesses and it's not my thing. Not worth the struggle to me but for one exception. Climbing stands. I don't use one often but when I do I use a harness.

Listen man, it's not about being afraid of falling. Falling isn't the problem. It's the stopping that kills you. I've been in steel erection most of my life. I used to never wear fall protection.....AT ALL. I've done some really stupid **** will doing steel erection, and my thought was the same. Just don't fall. I've slipped, lost my balance, tripped and everything in between, and was always able to catch myself. I was a monkey on the steel. There comes a time in your life that you realize that you can no longer catch yourself if something were to happen. Once you see a fellow workers head popped on a concrete slab, reality sets in very quick. NO ONE is invincible! I know I used to think I was, but gravity has shown me otherwise. I can only hope that you get over yourself pretty quick before the inevitable happens to you.

Comment

Yes I am afraid of falling! If I was to fall out of a tree stand without a harness, get in a car wreck without a seatbelt, die from H2S poisoning for not following safety measures at work, etc, etc, etc...there would be a lot of people suffering from my negligence...not just me.

It’s simple really. Protect yourself at all times.

I bet you are one of those guys that has an LTC and leaves your weapon in the console of your truck 24/7. Smh

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                          I can’t imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once you’re up in the stand is obviously not the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          As mentioned 3 packs on Amazon. Our lock ons have 30' ropes. Ladders have the free straps around the tree

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SunsUpGunsUp View Post
                            No one listen to this guy. Man I'm glad you're not my dad. Or my brother. People on here have posted stories about falling out of a ladder stand (one of them died) and you're basically advertising to other people not to use a harness. Young people read this stuff and one of them might actually believe you're right. If you don't wanna wear one that's your problem, but don't get on here and let anyone mistake that for advice.
                            So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              Yes I am afraid of falling! If I was to fall out of a tree stand without a harness, get in a car wreck without a seatbelt, die from H2S poisoning for not following safety measures at work, etc, etc, etc...there would be a lot of people suffering from my negligence...not just me.

It’s simple really. Protect yourself at all times.

I bet you are one of those guys that has an LTC and leaves your weapon in the console of your truck 24/7. Smh

Skinny
                              You keep shaking your head like some school girl on Facebook.

Comment

Treestand Accident

You keep shaking your head like some school girl on Facebook.

Ok it is now clear you are here to troll and nothing more. Get over yourself.

Skinny
                                Last edited by Skinny; 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X