No announcement yet.

LRGV NWR draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any luck today? Saw quite a few trucks driving to the lease this morning.

Comment

Any body got anything to report on the refuge? Im headed down there to scout and setup tomorrow. Cant wait for thursday to come!!!!! Just wondering if anyone had done any good lately. Hoping to have a weekend like bowhunter1994 had. Any way. I will keep you posted on how our group does

shoot 'em straight!

Comment

Any new reports? Headed there jan 1 to 4....

Comment

Goodluck and shoot straight !!! Make sure you play the wind

Comment

LRGNWR already has hunt applications and harvest report online to download, fill out and turn in starting Aug. 1st. Follow link below for apps and all hunting info. Good Luck to everyone, this season!!!!

Comment

Thanks!
              Originally posted by elchamp View Post
              LRGNWR already has hunt applications and harvest report online to download, fill out and turn in starting Aug. 1st. Follow link below for apps and all hunting info. Good Luck to everyone, this season!!!!

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Lower_Rio_...t/hunting.html

Comment

If we were to hunt out there is there camping available?

Comment

No camping available on refuge. Closest is a few towns with hotels/motels (Raymondville, Edcouch, Elsa) 8-10 miles away. Just need to call ahead of time to check availability. Let me know if anyone needs help. I plan to take a drive out there to see how refuge looks. We had quite a bit of rain first 1/2 of the year, but not much the last couple of months.

Comment

You can go to the refuge but can't scout until certain dates?

Comment

Usually, scouting is the 2-3 days before the hunt starts. You can set up tripod or ground blind (only 1 per hunter) the day before your hunt starts. One way around around it is to go bird watching, but staying on the main roads/trails.

Comment

Just got back from a quick run out to Teniente Unit. There are some ponds holding water, trees are all green and grass is kind of tall (knee high) and looks like it's starting to dry out. We haven't had much rain the last 2 months. Saw 2 does and 2 nilgai off county roads. Something my compadre and I noticed... there were a lot of rats/mice. Also saw 4 snakes on the roads, but none were the rattling kind. Temps were still in the mid to upper 90's at 7 pm. Hope to go out again next week and do some bird watching. Today I saw mockingbirds, road runners, harris' hawks, turkey vultures and 5 covies of 10+ bobwhites

Comment

Thanks for the reports

Comment

Here is map with some particulars on Teniente Unit.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I went to Teniente yesterday, and I saw 2 nilgai off county road. they came out at about 150 yds and stayed walking back and forth for a couple of minutes. I was able to get a photo of one of them. No visible water in lakes, temp was 90 degrees at 7 pm, and had a brief sea breeze shower earlier in the day. There were A LOT of seagulls that were flying east, back to the coast! I saw a roadrunner, several quail and harris' hawks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

No water huh? not even behind the house?

Comment

Working...
                                X