Mule deer restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I'd also like to see them allow unlimited year round hunting of whitetail in mule deer country, but that's just me. There's plenty of places to hunt whitetail. Mule deer need all the habitat they can get.
    Now will agree to disagree there😊. There areas and range of where they travel hang out are totally separate and I believe it can sustain both with the limited#s there are. Kill all sheep as well?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
      Now will agree to disagree there😊. There areas and range of where they travel hang out are totally separate and I believe it can sustain both with the limited#s there are. Kill all sheep as well?
      I have no doubt that this is true in certain areas, but here, they all commune in the same places.

Comment

Mule Deer population is way down in general across the west though. It's not just local to Texas. There are other things killing them off, some of it whitetails moving into Mule Deer territory, along with whitetails breeding with MD does (That's why so many 3x3's). We watched a couple of whitetails run off MD bucks in New Mexico and breed the MD doe. Crazy scene.

Comment

I agree with this 100%. We have more Mule Deer on our lease that we do whitetail. But most of the numbers of Mule deer are made up of does. It's not uncommon for me to see 15-20 Mule deer does in one sit. Some of the Mule deer does we have are very old and very poor body condition. I have often thought they should keep the Mule deer buck season the same 2 week length ( to help control the number of harvests) and then have an extended for season where there would be able to be at least something that resembled management for Mule deer.

Comment

Originally posted by txarcher View Post
            I have no doubt that this is true in certain areas, but here, they all commune in the same places.
            Yep. And once the whitetails breed with MD does, the racks stay tiny. Gotta keep em separate.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Mule Deer population is way down in general across the west though. It's not just local to Texas. There are other things killing them off, some of it whitetails moving into Mule Deer territory, along with whitetails breeding with MD does (That's why so many 3x3's). We watched a couple of whitetails run off MD bucks in New Mexico and breed the MD doe. Crazy scene.
              How do you tag a hybrid, muley or whitetail tag?, seen some of those at Matador...

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                How do you tag a hybrid, muley or whitetail tag?, seen some of those at Matador...
                Under 20" WT over MD

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  Under 20" WT over MD
                  lol

Comment

I am in Armstrong county so this wont affect me, however there is zero mule deer doe season in this county and at times you can count 30-40 doe per 1-2 bucks... Why can we not shoot doe here is ask?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                      I am in Armstrong county so this wont affect me, however there is zero mule deer doe season in this county and at times you can count 30-40 doe per 1-2 bucks... Why can we not shoot doe here is ask?
                      It likely will eventually assuming it works, the AR for whitetail started in 6 counties in the southeast part of the state, now the eastern third of the state is all AR. I'm sure if it works their plan is to have it across the whole panhandle.

Comment

I hunt Briscoe and just spent a week there. I would bet most of the commune in same places are feed station areas or wheatfield no?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                          I hunt Briscoe and just spent a week there. I would bet most of the commune in same places are feed station areas or wheatfield no?
                          No sir. Here, they travel together and bed down together. I watch them throughout the year when checking cows. I see far more mule deer than I do whitetails simply because we have more mule deer. I have never seen a whitetail though that wasn't with mule deer in this part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I agree with this. It's was also pretty easy to get mule deer doe tags. I think we were getting around 8 doe tags for 4K acres. But it was nothing to see 100+ does in our wheat field.

We get the max for our acreage, which I think is 15 for 22k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                              The tail determined the tag according to the GW that told me.

Comment

No sir. Here, they travel together and bed down together. I watch them throughout the year when checking cows. I see far more mule deer than I do whitetails simply because we have more mule deer. I have never seen a whitetail though that wasn't with mule deer in this part of the world.
                                Well I’m dang sure smart enough not to debate a man that is out there every day. I would be curious to know the terrain of your ranch though. Rolling hills,canyons? We are working on improvements to take ours back to native pasture the best we can which should help with the MD but more curious than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X