Best Hunting Recurve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Hunting Recurve?

Hi guys, Ive always shot a compound and I'm thinking of going to recurve!!What recurve is the best out there? What should i look for in a bow when i buy? My DL is 30!! Any extra info would help!

Do a search on here, but you came to the right place. I got one as a whim last spring, and haven't shot my compound since July. First, there is no BEST, just like with a compound, you need to shoot several different makes/bowyers before buying. Your DL will change when you go to trad. Hopefully not shorten much, but each person is a bit different. If you're shooting a loop & release, and anchor to the same place, you should lengthen a bit.

Couple general pointers:
    1) To start, get a light weight bow, and don't spend too much on it. You'll want to start playing right away, but it'll take you a while to figure out what you really like. If you go too heavy to start, it's really easy to develop some bad habits. It's a waste of $$ to go by the 'best' bow available or have one made until you get the basics down, figure out a comfortable weight, and find out what you like in a bow.

2) If your DL stays @ 30 or grows a bit, you'll want to generally look at bows 62 inches or longer.

3) Weights are usually marked at 28inches draw, and the general rule is about 3lbs per inch past that. TO A POINT. At some lenght a bow will start to stack - meaning the next inch may gain 5lbs, and 7lbs after that.

4) Go to a shoot or chat with someone on here near you that has a number of bows, you'll shorten the learning curve significantly.

5)Once you've done this, and figured out what you want, go talk to Bob Sarrels in Austin.

Comment

BTW, definately recommend reading the 'Sticky's' at the top of the trad forum

Comment

Will do thx

Sent by Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
          Do a search on here, but you came to the right place. I got one as a whim last spring, and haven't shot my compound since July. First, there is no BEST, just like with a compound, you need to shoot several different makes/bowyers before buying. Your DL will change when you go to trad. Hopefully not shorten much, but each person is a bit different. If you're shooting a loop & release, and anchor to the same place, you should lengthen a bit.

Couple general pointers:
          1) To start, get a light weight bow, and don't spend too much on it. You'll want to start playing right away, but it'll take you a while to figure out what you really like. If you go too heavy to start, it's really easy to develop some bad habits. It's a waste of $$ to go by the 'best' bow available or have one made until you get the basics down, figure out a comfortable weight, and find out what you like in a bow.

2) If your DL stays @ 30 or grows a bit, you'll want to generally look at bows 62 inches or longer.

3) Weights are usually marked at 28inches draw, and the general rule is about 3lbs per inch past that. TO A POINT. At some lenght a bow will start to stack - meaning the next inch may gain 5lbs, and 7lbs after that.

4) Go to a shoot or chat with someone on here near you that has a number of bows, you'll shorten the learning curve significantly.

5)Once you've done this, and figured out what you want, go talk to Bob Sarrels in Austin.
          This is all great stuff. We can never tell you enough--don't over bow yourself starting out--the bad habits this causes a very hard to break. Some people never break them. Go to Bob's and shoot everything he has.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
            This is all great stuff. We can never tell you enough--don't over bow yourself starting out--the bad habits this causes a very hard to break. Some people never break them. Go to Bob's and shoot everything he has.
            When you go to Bob's, prepare to spends some money. His Puma recurve is a real nice shooter.

Matt

Comment

I can't add a lot to what is said, except start out with carbon or aluminum arrows. Wood is great once you get your technique down, but carbon or aluminum will take some issues out of the mix for a beginner.

Check out www.savagebows.com Tim is up in your neck of the woods and makes some really beautiful takedown recurves.

Comment

I would recommend going to a TBOT or traditional shoot to look at all the models you can get your hands on.....The Glen Parker Memorial Shoot/Chester Shoot is coming up the weekend after Mothers day, (I think that is right, if not someone will chime in to get the right date). You will probably lose an inch or so on draw length from a compound. As someone said, don't go over on poundage....stay around 45-50 pounds to learn the ropes right.

Comment

Good suggestions from the above.
                  Don't over bow, go at least 62", I like carbon arrows to start with.
                  Go somewhere that will let you test the bow. even if it's only 10 yds.
                  At 30 in dl you need to make sure the bow doesn't stack.

Comment

Listen to all that was said above. There is really nothing more I can add.

As stated above: DO NOT OVERBOW YOURSELF TO START OUT! Trad bows have 0% letoff and form and consistency are the two things that will make you a good shooter.

Bisch

Comment

Starting out with aluminum arrows is very wise advice, too. Wood are for later. Do join us at the shoots, you will learn a ton of stuff and see how much fun we have.

Comment

Thanks guys for advice, very helpful.

Sent by Tapatalk

Comment

Dont over bow

Comment

stickinpigs, what part of town do you live in? I have several bows that I would be happy to let you try out just to get the feel for what everyone has been telling you here.
                            I am a member at Collin County Bowhunters and have access to the range all the time. Be happy to take you out for a round of practice just about anytime.

Wayne

Comment

With your 30" draw length, you need to demo shoot some 62", 64" and 66" bows to avoid a caase of "finger pinch". I have a 30" draw length and I prefer a 66" bow over a 64" bow. The 62" bow I demoed, gave me a case of "finger pinch".

Comment

Working...
                              X