No announcement yet.

Correct Spine Arrow Weight for Bowtech Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are confusing size with spine. The 400 spine(.4 inches of deflection) will allow for less draw weight and still spine correctly for your set up. A 340 spine will be starting on the stiff side(less deflection) and if you lower the DW it will be WAY too stiff. So if your arrows are actually cut to 27" from the throat of the nock, to the end of the carbon, a 400 would allow you to adjust the DW of the bow to aid in tuning it to shoot. If you use 340, the only way to make it work would be to add length to the shaft, and after they are cut that is pretty tricky to do.

The aggressive nature of the Destroyer cams could dictate that you need the 340 rather than the 400 because they are launching them stick crazy fast, and have a very powerful power stroke. That could over flex the less stiff 400 shaft and make tuning and safety become an issue. IMO buy 2 340s and try to tune it with those, and if not, buy 2 400s and see if it gets better. That way you are not out a ton of money and will be able to tell what is going on fairly quickly.

Comment

Im shooting the d350 with 400s. my draw length is 28 inches and arrow length is 26 1/4. I am grouping very well! bow is set at 69 lbs.
      Last edited by jcso139; 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
        You are confusing size with spine. The 400 spine(.4 inches of deflection) will allow for less draw weight and still spine correctly for your set up. A 340 spine will be starting on the stiff side(less deflection) and if you lower the DW it will be WAY too stiff. So if your arrows are actually cut to 27" from the throat of the nock, to the end of the carbon, a 400 would allow you to adjust the DW of the bow to aid in tuning it to shoot. If you use 340, the only way to make it work would be to add length to the shaft, and after they are cut that is pretty tricky to do.

The aggressive nature of the Destroyer cams could dictate that you need the 340 rather than the 400 because they are launching them stick crazy fast, and have a very powerful power stroke. That could over flex the less stiff 400 shaft and make tuning and safety become an issue. IMO buy 2 340s and try to tune it with those, and if not, buy 2 400s and see if it gets better. That way you are not out a ton of money and will be able to tell what is going on fairly quickly.

Thanks. I will compare both.

Comment

Originally posted by jcso139 View Post
          Im shooting the d350 with 400s. my draw length is 28 inches and arrow length is 26 1/4. I am grouping very well! bow is set at 69 lbs.
          I was curious how that set up shoots through paper and if you shoot any fixed broadheads.If so do they tune to hit with your field points.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
            all the charts have you in the equivelant of the 400 spine.

tricky thing with the more aggressive bow designs is that even though you may be solidly in the 400 range the 340 deflection might group and tune better.

Me . . . . id buy a half dozen or fewer of each and see which one gives me the best tune.
            Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
            are you shooting at 70 and is that your intention? Honestly even at 70 the easton chart shows you solidly in the 400's. The short arrow length does them same as stiffening an arrow so thats why it's recommending that.

when you tune with the 400 you may have to pull a pound or two out to get everything grouped on top of each other, I personally think the 400 is gonna give you the most flexibility. If you do 340 and decide you want to lower weight your gonna overspine by a lot.

Originally posted by TEAM SHARK View Post
            I am confused. You said that the 340 deflection might group and tune better, but then you follow up with saying that the 400 range is more flexible.

I plan to shoot 70 lb and my arrow length is 27 inches.
            wasn't attempting to confuse in my post but this is exactly what I'm saying. The charts says 400 my experience says the 340. I'd get a couple of each arrow and see which performs better.

I'd definately broadhead tune not just shoot field points.

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post

This is precisely what i was saying but better! The 400 will allow you more flexibility and range to tune. the 340 at 70lbs will require you to fenagle the arrow length as you are probably at the bottom end of that spine. But either is unknown from your specific set up so buy a couple of each and see what works better.

Comment

D340 @ 70lb. 29" DL I shoot the Flatline DOA 340 and the Beaman MFX 340.

Comment

I shoot a 340 at 73lb and 28 inch arrow. I could not get the 340 spine axis arrows to tune. Had to bump up to a 300. The chart says 340 spine should of been fine. However like has been said by many more agressive bows need a stiffer spine

Comment

You most likely will have a weak arrow with a .400 spine at 27 inches.
                  Just my observation from the D340's I've tuned.
                  With a Binary cam bow, it is rare that a stiff arrow causes any accuracy or tuning problems.

Comment

I shoot 400s out of my 28.5" D350 @65pounds.

Comment

my wifes bow is a d350 25" @70lbs, she can shoot a gt 500 bulletholes, she shoots a gt400 bulletholes, i can give her one of my arrows a gt300 and bullet holes. best groups are with 400's. the problem with her is arrow weight. just make sure you are not underspined as a saftey precaution. if you shoot a loop you can get away with less spine. i like them on the stiff side i shoot a gt300 out of my d350 30"@70lbs arrow length is 28" or a gt big game 100+ cut to 29" it is a .250 spine. i like them on the stiff side.

Comment

Like some others have said, with the aggressive cam of the Destroyer, I don't think you can get too stiff of a spine. You also have to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. If these arrows are primarily for hunting, there is no doubt I would go with the stiffer spine 350's, as they will give you superior penetration and handle larger broadheads better. Having too weak of a spine is much more difficult to tune correctly than a stiff arrow.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will be doing some testing, when I get some time.

Comment

Anyone solved flight problems out of adestroyer by going to a lighter spine?

I'm pulling 63lbs, 30in.draw 28 1/4 gt 300 velocitys 340 dest.
                            63lbs, 30in draw, 28 1/4in. beman ics 300s 350 dest

no problems.

Comment

I'm shooting a D350 at 55lbs, 30" DL and 29 5/8" Easton Flatline 400 arrows.

It shoots them very well.

Comment

maybe this will help ya
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X