No announcement yet.

How big can wild hogs get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed one in 2002 that bottomed out 350# scales...and his head and shoulders were on the ground. He was too long to hang on our A frame with the scale we weighed deer on. He was well over 400#;s probably pushing 500. Ive seen thousands of wild hogs and killed a bunch. This pig was by far the biggest I've seen. I had him shoulder mounted and it is the LAST hog I will ever cape out as well...What a freaking job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Unless you put the "big hog you/your buddy/your crazy uncle/your grandma's lawn boy or your Great Aunt Ester" killed on a legitimate scale, I find a lot of these guesses on weight pretty hard to swallow. I know this 'cus I used to do it all the time!!!

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      nah.. then it woulda only weighed 50lbs and be covered in ragin blaze
      Ahhhh...good point!!
      Last edited by Fishndude; 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM.

Comment

One of the reasons wild hogs don't typically get far over the 300# mark is simply because it takes a LOT of food to sustain animal that size. On top of that, the truly mature boars are running sows and will burn up a lot of weight in that pursuit. (I'm not recommending this as a weight loss program!) I've hunted hogs in E. Texas for over 30 years and I've only seen a couple of hogs that would go over 300 and they were domestic / wild cross barrows.

Comment

need the LDP to tell for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
            At least 413#. We have game cam pics of this one for almost two years.
            You must be 7 or 8 feet tall.

Comment

I had one on game camera down on the Brazos that was a monster. Never got a chance to kill or see it live but I weighed a picture of it and the picture weighed almost 20 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                You must be 7 or 8 feet tall.
                I believe he is standing on a ladder

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  250 and 300 plus isn't all that rare. 400 is rare and 700 is most likely a former tame hog.
                  Bingo.

Also that bioligist has not been around many european hogs. But ofcourse they are not all that common.

Comment

Originally posted by justincorbell View Post
                    I believe he is standing on a ladder
                    Yeah, I know.

Comment

It's possible ain't y'all never seendem pictures of hogzilla

Comment

I too never realized that wild hogs could get rather large, until I saw a very dark figure crossing the road ahead me back in the spring of 2000. Was trying to start home after fishing at Richland Chambers. My windshield was smeared and splatter really good with lots of bugs. I was not far from the dam after I turned onto a different FM road and spotted what I thought was a steer crossing the road ahead of me. As I got closer, you could plainly see that it wasn't a steer at all, but a very large hog. He was really cocky acting and appeared to be in no hurry, despite my truck getting closer. I slowed down to get a good look and he just walked slowly to the other side of the road and stepped over a barbed wire fence. He was following a well traveled trail in that area.

Sure wish I could've gotten a picture of that porker. He was black as could be.

Comment

Recent kill. Tad over 300. He aint no farm hawg. Village Mills TX. (Hardin County)
                          Attached Files

Comment

This man was dying of cancer.. dying wish was to shoot a monster hog and I put him on one.. 650

350 & 388 killed on the same morning..

My 322 biggest hog Ive ever killed.

Comment

Sorry about the size...

Comment

Nice Randy!.. first one looks to have domestic features though...

Comment

Working...
                                X