Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Mesquite Country Sausage Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, I'm kinda dense when it comes to following a recipe, but I have a buddy that is having real problems with summer sausage and I want to get it as close to right the first time if possible.
    So, I smoke for the recommended time then "cook" until core reaches 170. I'm lost there? Am I just raising the temp in the smoker and opening my stack until the core temp is 170? On chilling to 40 degrees...freezer or ice chest?

Comment

tgil,

Yes you are correct on the cooking.

I throw mine in the freezer for about 2 hours then move it to the fridge.

Comment

Travis do you just use normal sugar and salt where called for?

I bet putting all of that hot meat in your freezer makes it work overtime

Comment

BT,

Yes to all of your questions. And if you're using a chest freezer it doesnt effect it that much.

Comment

Thanks for the recipes. Can't wait to try them.

Comment

Travis do you mix the spices with the water or are they added dry? thanks for the spreadsheet.

Comment

I add them in dry. I do however throw the dry jalapenos in the water.

Comment

Travis' new and updated excel file has been uploaded to the original post in this thread.

My dad, brother and I are gonna give this a shot this spring, Travis. Looking forward to it.
                  Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Thanks Devin!

Comment

great recipes

Comment

Travis, a few months ago we made sausage, and the leftover hog casing that were in the water. I took them out and vacuum sealed them. They will still be good to go again right?

Comment

should be hawkins.

Comment

I will be somking some sausage in an electric smoker. Do I just need to get the core temp to 170 and then they are good to go? Also, making jerkey sticks do they need to be dehydrated or can I do them in the smoker without any problem? Thanks a bunch, the receipes are great.

Comment

You're right on the temp.

Smoker would be fine.

Comment

Where do you usually go to get sausage casing?

Comment

Working...
                                X