East TX vs. West TX leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East TX vs. West TX leases

I'm looking at getting my first lease and have seen some good options in both East and West TX but I understand they can be very different..

What are y'alls opinions on pros/cons of either?

If you are used to hunting West,, you will be seriously disappointed in east tx. That said, there are some giants here in East tx and records are falling. It aint easy though..

Comment

Split the difference

Comment

Unless the price is right and theres a decent amount of land, im not sure of any pros for an east texas lease. but comparing the two, I would say west wins any day of the week. Larger bodied deer, better population, better opportunities to hunt other game. Of course this is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

If I lived in houston I would be looking at a South Texas lease if you have the budget for it. Next would be hill country area then west.

Comment

Travel distance and the amount of time I had to hunt would dictate which area I hunted.

Comment

Are the deer bodies larger in west Texas? I know that most of the racks seem to be. I'd try to find some place that got cold enough to kill mosquitoes during hunting season.

Comment

East TX can be tough hunting, but rewarding when things come together. Lots of tracts are heavily timbered and add an extra challenge/effort. It's not for everyone.

Comment

I'm partial to west Texas and south texas , east Texas always felt restrictive to me , being in San Antonio last 20 years driving east just never crossed my mind
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Raised hunting east Texas and wouldn't have it any other way. Challenging? Yes, but isn't something more challenging also more rewarding in the end? Again, I say yes.

Gar guy has it right- they're very different, and one expecting west tx style hunting in East Texas will be sorely disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                    Are the deer bodies larger in west Texas? I know that most of the racks seem to be. I'd try to find some place that got cold enough to kill mosquitoes during hunting season.
                    No unless you're near the panhandle the bodies are much smaller out west on your average mature buck. Panhandle deer are more similar to a mature east Texas buck

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                      Unless the price is right and theres a decent amount of land, im not sure of any pros for an east texas lease. but comparing the two, I would say west wins any day of the week. Larger bodied deer, better population, better opportunities to hunt other game. Of course this is all my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

If I lived in houston I would be looking at a South Texas lease if you have the budget for it. Next would be hill country area then west.
                      I don't know about that part. Maybe bigger bodies in South or North Texas but not so much in West Texas.

If you want to be able to sit over a feeder and see more deer West is the way to go for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                        I don't know about that part. Maybe bigger bodies in South or North Texas but not so much in West Texas.

If you want to be able to sit over a feeder and see more deer West is the way to go for sure.
                        If fed the same,, Ii feel east t will grow the largest bodies.. Look at Elgatos deer. They are the same east tx blood line and he gets them close to 300lbs by worming and making sure they are well fed.

Comment

this could be fun. my vote would be for east texas, northeast to be exact.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            this could be fun. my vote would be for east texas, northeast to be exact.
                            Are your serious??????

Comment

Grew up hunting West and Northwest Tx deer. Plentiful and had plenty shooting opportunities. Now live in East Tx and feel as if I'm truly hunting now! I believe there are just as many deer East as there are in the West. The difference is the amount of cover they have here. Tough hunting but very rewarding. As far as body size goes East wins. Killed a 204# a couple yrs ago and this past season a 190#. Hope to break the 200 mark again this year. Antler wise if you let them mature you can kill a 140"+ every year. There are quite a few 160"+ out there as well!

Wait....... There are no deer in East Tx. Move along

Comment

Working...
                              X