Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife sharpening in Georgetown Round Rock area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
    what angle did they set that edge at and what did it come with from the factory?
    The great big edge is where they screwed it up. Idk the angle.

Comment

That looks bad just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

buy cutco. free sharpening for life. they even come to your house and do it. their hunting knives are bad to the bone too

Comment

My nephew lives in Buda and he said that a fella sets up at Cabelas and sharpens knives on a paper wheel. The paper wheel does not remove much metal and does a good job. I have seen those guys at the gun shows as well using that wheel .

I hate Cabelas it costs me 500 or 600 dollars to get out of the dang place so I can only relay what I was told.

Comment

Looks like he ground the angle but when he got to the curve/tip of the knife he way too shallow and didn’t finish close to the edge. That stinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matt, If you get into Austin try these guys: http://www.austinsknifesharpest.com/
              I had a Japanese kitchen knife fixed by them that had a few bad chips in it from beeing dropped. They did a great job.

Comment

Unless you specified a certain angle, I don't see how he messed it up, if it came back sharp. You say you want it sharpened for a specific purpose. What purpose?
                I sharpen a few hundred knives a yr for people. Unless they specifically ask for a certain degree, I just sharpen the knife. If they do, I investigate. Most times their buddy, or someone tells them, 38° is the ticket, or 25°, etc.. It's all BS really. So unless your specifying 14° on my skinning knives, and 18° on my Kitchen knives, and 28° on my work knives, they are most likely just going to lay it to the wheel. These are the angles I use most often btw for their intended purposes.
                Also depending on the hardness of your blade, some angles just don't work very well.
                And while they do work, I will never use a wheel.

Comment

I remember my first pocket knife.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                    I remember my first pocket knife.
                    Old Timer Muskrat .

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Unless you specified a certain angle, I don't see how he messed it up, if it came back sharp. You say you want it sharpened for a specific purpose. What purpose?
                      I sharpen a few hundred knives a yr for people. Unless they specifically ask for a certain degree, I just sharpen the knife. If they do, I investigate. Most times their buddy, or someone tells them, 38° is the ticket, or 25°, etc.. It's all BS really. So unless your specifying 14° on my skinning knives, and 18° on my Kitchen knives, and 28° on my work knives, they are most likely just going to lay it to the wheel. These are the angles I use most often btw for their intended purposes.
                      Also depending on the hardness of your blade, some angles just don't work very well.
                      And while they do work, I will never use a wheel.
                      Kitchen knives and field knives use different angles. You know that lol. And you can see where they messed up at the tip and curve. D2 Emerson blade. Not a cheap screw up

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        I have had them offer. I mainly just need my kitchen and skinning knives done. I don't care to be without my Emerson. Sounds dumb but I use it every day. Its like forgetting to wear your belt. Ya don't feel right haha
                        Get you a $30 Kershaw to hold your britches up while the factory r&rs your edc. Who knows, you may like it !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Get you a $30 Kershaw to hold your britches up while the factory r&rs your edc. Who knows, you may like it !
                          Haha. I use the screw drivers more than the blade lol

Comment

Robert Garcia, who frequents these forums, lives in north Austin and has a mobile knife sharpening business. He could probably drive up there and sharpen your knives for you on location.

Comment

Yes I know that.... Obviously he and most don't.
                              In your pic it's kinda hard to see exactly what happened, but I didn't read that he was responsible for the big dip in the tip, just the long shallow angle you didn't like.
                              As far as angles, it's just a preference to a point. You could throw a 20° on just about any knife and it will work well. Very few would know the difference, if I put a 20° on all their knives, vs putting a certain degree on each knife.
                              It does suck about the Emerson though! Hopefully you find someone close by.

Comment

Working...
                              X