No announcement yet.

Best 223 hunting round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started using the 75 grain Speer Gold Dot. Had been using the Federal 62 grain bonded, but never liked the accuracy out of it. The 75 grain is much more accurate and works well on hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
      #1 Hornady 62 grain Whitetail.
      #2 GECO 55 grain head shots
      #3 IMI Systems 55 grain (green box) head shots
      #99 American Eagle
      Where does wolf steel case fall in your list?

That's all I shoot LOL maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
        Tim:

As you know, a 158gr. bullet from a .357 Magnum carbine is death to a hog if you shoot him in the head

I've only shot, and killed, one deer with a 5.56mm - a small button buck at 100 yds. I made a high, double lung shot and he fell DRT like the Hammer of Thor struck him. The spent round was on the inside of his skin on the opposite side where I shot him. I think I was using Winchester 64gr. Power Point ammo. Personally, I don't like head shots on whitetail deer. I prefer, especially for an inexperienced hunter, targeting either the shoulder, or the pocket behind the shoulder irrespective of the caliber of the rifle you are using.

Good luck,

Dave
        I don't allow head shots. But I also do tell kids to aim for the shoulder. Hence my post about which round is best when the shoulder bone is hit.

I think I got my answer.

Comment

Mike D...

I sent you a PM

Comment

Best 223 hunting round?

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            I don't allow head shots. But I also do tell kids to aim for the shoulder. Hence my post about which round is best when the shoulder bone is hit.

I think I got my answer.

Hmmmm I missed the part about you wanting shoulder shots. I’ll add to my list Barnes TSX/TTSX anywhere from 50-70 grains depending on what the rifle likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
              I sent you a PM

Got it. I’ll respond when I get home and can look at my info.

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                My kids have killed a truck load of animals with a .223 (Fusion 62 grain N.P.) when they were younger. It is a very good all around cartridge for that caliber. Matter of fact, Breck killed 2 pigs after school last Tuesday with his .223 shooting Fusions 62 grain) while I was filling feeders.

Rwc

This. My kids have been shooting the .62gr fusion for a while. Check out the exit wound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

65 grain Sierra game king.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

How do the higher grain 223 bullets shoot out of an AR 16" barrel? Ben don't they wont stabilize.

Comment

Best 223 hunting round?

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                      How do the higher grain 223 bullets shoot out of an AR 16" barrel? Ben don't they wont stabilize.

Depends on twist rate. Both of my Colt ARs with 1:7 twist barrels prefer bullets in the 65-80 grain range.

A 1:9 twist could start getting iffy over 65 grains.

Here is a good general guideline:

Last edited by Mike D; 12-13-2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Hornady 62 grain interbond.
                        Academy.
                        Keep the shots under 100 and you are good to go. Head shoot pigs, broadside mid body, on the crease for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by RanchFairy View Post
                          Hornady 62 grain interbond.
                          Academy.
                          Keep the shots under 100 and you are good to go. Head shoot pigs, broadside mid body, on the crease for deer.

I don't find the 62 gr. Interbond in their product line. Do you have a pic of the box?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Depends on twist rate. Both of my Colt ARs with 1:7 twist barrels prefer bullets in the 65-80 grain range.

A 1:9 twist could start getting iffy over 65 grains.

Here is a good general guideline:

Im pretty sure I have 1:9...Thanks Bro

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                              I'm trying these. No shot yet!
                              My AR did not like these rounds, did not group very well, at least not compared to federal fusions.

Comment

Wolf steel is might fine IMO

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                Where does wolf steel case fall in your list?

That's all I shoot LOL maybe not.
                                RiverRat1 I turned chickin' sheet & took Wolf off my original post cause I didn't want the ammo Nazis givin' me guff.
                                It's the steel 223/5.56x45 wears out my barrel & bolt faster than brass dilemma/BS.
                                I think ammunition manufactures are feeding us the garbage?
                                To each his own
                                As you probably already know RiverRat1.
                                IMOHO In My Own Humble Opinion.
                                A bolt action rifle will wear out/break down in about the same amount of time using 223/5.56X45 steel or brass cased.
                                In a semi automatics there might have a few more ejection problems FTFs with steel cased? That's debatable IMOHO Is it better to use steel case and buy a new gun or gun parts every 15,000ish rounds. OR buy a new gun or parts every 20,000ish rounds & pay 8%-%?? for brass ammo?
                                To each his own?!?!
                                Tomato or toemaytoe. Potato or tater.
                                Shoot steel and save money! Hell most gun ethicist want to but a new "gun" ever so often. Right? So your doing yourself a favor by shootin' steel cased & wear your sheet out faster.
                                YES Wolf steel cased & brass cased are the best bang for your buck 223/5.56x45 IMOHO.
                                I said it I LIKE WOLF steel cased ammunition just like RiverRat1!
                                Did that make sense/science/cents????
                                God bless!
                                Semper Fi.
                                Yeah I am that guy.
                                PS If you do not clean your rifle like an **** retentive maniac every time you shoot it? it don't matter if you use steel, brass or gold cased ammunition. Your gun ain't gona preform or last very long.
                                This is my rifle.There are many like it, but this one is mine.
                                My rifle is my best friend. It IS my life.
                                My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle I am useless......
                                PEACE.
                                Then out comes the marching band. While they shoot insanitary fares out HiLIARys arse. Then eagles pick up Nancy PEElousy and shove her up Chuck ShSCUMers hinny. Glory, Glory hallelujah!!
                                Last edited by texaspacker; 12-13-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X