Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has traditional archery become hypocritical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has traditional archery become hypocritical?

I remember when the idea, and indeed the practice of traditional archery, was to do one's best to keep challenge and simplicity at the forefront of archery applications. From everything to bows, arrows, strings, broadheads, how we aim, woodsmanship, respect for wildlife, respect for how we hunt wildlife, etc., the basic idea was to keep it simple and honor the journey of the challenge of shooting a bow more than just shooting/killing success. The idea was to mimic approaches and materials used before technological advances provided too many convenient alternatives to making shooting and hunting 'hard'. The idea was to not overcomplicate it.

But then, conveniences like gunpowder/sighting optics/the plastic revolution led to plastic/metal composite archery materials and eventually to the age of compounds (sometimes also called the age of gadgets, lol), and finally to where we are now. In looking back and comparing where we started to where we are, the concept of staying with the simpler traditional mindset seems to have disappeared in favor of shooting to compete with others for points on a scorecard, or at least to become 'more perfect'. Everything is measured by the degree to which we succeed, with little deference given to how we got there. In effect, traditional archery has been replaced by 'something else', something less satisfying because success depends primarily on technological or theoretical gadgetry. Original traditional has been thrown into a closet and the door locked behind, with those in that room yearning for more 'honor' in the practice. Such followers are often labeled as traditional elitists or disregarded altogether. By today's mentality, there is no longer and perhaps never was such a thing as traditional archery in the sense described above. We seem to have adopted and now practice a somewhat hypocritical version or archery where we pretend to do it 'the hard way' yet seek every opportunity to find an easier, more 'successful' way. Perhaps because if we don't, we defeat our ability to 'fit in' on sites like this one. Nowadays, archers cannot afford to be seen as obstacles against the winds of modern archery (the latter being primarily target archery, with it's roots firmly embedded in technology). And so we give in to the locked closet theory and often even ridicule the old ways and concepts to better protect our right to 'fit in' on our own terms.

Whatever happened to that old traditional archery mindset? In our rush to be 'better' and fit in with popular fads, have we become hypocritical regarding what the idea of traditional really is and lost touch with the true roots of using a simple 'stick and string'?

A rhetorical question perhaps, but certainly food for thought.
    Last edited by Retsbew; 12-20-2017, 08:14 AM.

Originally posted by Retsbew View Post
    Whatever happened to that old traditional archery mindset?
    To answer that - First, you are going to have define what "traditional archery" is to you. The mindset is automatically included.

Ask 100 folks to define it, and you'll get a plethora of different definitions.

I've been a trad archer for over 50 years, but my definition is pretty open minded about what it includes.

Rick

Comment

When you start worrying about what other people think is when you lose your shadow.

I believe as a hunter woodsman you can transition between different roles OR you can hone a single craft. As a person I think life dictates what "gets your fancy".

It's all subjective in my opinion. Priorities can vary.

Good discussion

Comment

I don’t know about hypocritical, but it has made some traditionalists think that they are somehow better than other hunters. They are not, just different.

Comment

Interesting subject. Many of the folks on Archery talk would lead me to wonder but the majority of the folks on this board inspire me to believe the opposite.

When I look to men like Buff, Bisch, Randy and others I see that what's best in archery and hunting is still alive.

Competition is what causes us to seek more and better. Better combines more efficiently harvest grains allowing us to feed more people more economically. It's not the the trying harder or wanting to do better that inherently lacks honor or conflicts ethically.

I do believe there is a difference between a hunter and a shooter. A woodsman and a weekend wanna be. Each person has to figure out where they are and where they want to be. Mentors and guides like the men I mentioned are invaluable in that quest. Each of us is somewhere on that journey and I'm sure not where I was or where I'll end up.

There is no honor or dishonor in hunting with a gun, cross bow, compound or traditional bow.

The honor and commitment is in the person.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DRT; 12-20-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I'll take a poke at this as well. I am of the modern era and gadgetry if you will. HOWEVER. My movement to "traditional" archery has been to simplify the tool and to teach myself how to actually shoot and feel a shot. That was my main focus. So like the above has posted it is about my mindset of traditional archery and I don't give a rip what someone else thinks about my choices or the "tools" I use to get there. That deer in my avatar was taken from a homemade ground blind, with a hummingbird recurve, on a well used trail. If that ground blind is something you don't like or maybe my recurve is not traditional enough or?? fine- DON'T USE IT!
            I really don't think it is the general opinion that traditional archery is truly gone. Look at the people who post here on the trad side or a number of other traditional bowhunting forums. I'll bet you find the "true" traditional archers you are looking for. As an extra thought. Traditional archery has had competitions since WAY before my time. It's nothing new for men to test their skills and learn from one another. Target archery has been going on in this nation since, well... I'm certain before your time as well.
            Last edited by Dry Bones; 12-20-2017, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I've run the full gamut, from shooting a recurve with woodies, to fiberglass bows and fiberglass arrows, to a non sight compound, aluminum arrows, sights, carbon, then back to a recurve with woodies again. I enjoyed all of it, but just enjoy the simplicity of the recurve now. I understand your thoughts. I'm with DRT, the equipment for the sport has changed, and it makes it somewhat easier to harvest a deer at longer ranges now, but to me it does not take away from the effort and the desire to "compete" with the animal you hunt. If that ever happens to me I will stop hunting.

Comment

The simplest definition of traditional archery is "not a compound" - beyond that there is a wide spectrum. At one end is the primitive archer who makes everything himself - from the bow and string to the arrow to hand-knapped broadheads. At the other end might be someone using an olympic-style recurve with sight pins. Where we all fall along that spectrum depends on what we are trying to get out of the total experience. For some, the satisfaction of building/using more primitive equipment outweighs the sacrifice in performance. For others performance and accuracy is everything even if that means bows made of modern materials and even - heaven forbid! - adjustable rests and sights. All of it is traditional archery by my definition. Everybody just decides what shooting style and equipment gives them the most satisfaction and the most rewarding total experience.

Comment

I do think there are people who buy into the latest technology to make it easier to shoot and to get a crack at bucks before rifle season. However, there are a lot of compound guys that use the latest technology and gadgets, but are also shooting year round to get better and better. The club I belong to has a winter league that is probably 95% wheel shooters, and they are shooting and tweaking and tuning to try and get better, if not perfect. That's not my cup of tea, but don't think they are shooting gadgets just because it is easy

Comment

Originally posted by Retsbew View Post
                    ...Whatever happened to that old traditional archery mindset? In our rush to be 'better' and fit in with popular fads, have we become hypocritical regarding what the idea of traditional really is and lost touch with the true roots of using a simple 'stick and string'?

A rhetorical question perhaps, but certainly food for thought.
                    The 'traditional archery mindset' is still out there, maybe not as prevalent as it once was, but it is there.

I don't believe hypocrisy is the right term. To be hypocritical is to claim to be one thing while you are secretly something else. Most dedicated trad shooters I know are trad to the core; and even if they aren't, as already mentioned, the definition is pretty fluid. It would be hard to pin down a hypocrite based on your definition, when it is their own definition they are living out.

From an avowed gadget shooter I can tell you the archery mindset is alive and well; but that is a many faceted thing, defined only by the shooter.

"This above all, to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man" - Shakespeare

If you are true to yourself, the journey is the reward, not the destination...

Comment

IMO...Selfbows shot with wood arrows rule supreme and epitomize hunting because there are many variables to make constantly consistent to produce a harvest...outside of all the variables that cant be made consistent. Ive never shot a selfbow or wood arrows.

Hypocritical. Yep.

Comment

when you started the conversation, with TRADITIONAL ARCHERY,
                        The first thing i wondered was how old is this person.
                        how long has this person been shooting.
                        but to answer your question, some are, some do, and some mite yet.
                        but not all, are, or do, and never will.
                        ARCHERY is for me, a life style, a present, past and tomorrow.
                        my bows and arrows are my companions,
                        what others do or don't do, say or don't say, makes no matter to me.
                        if you asked what is archery. i'd have a very direct answer,
                        it would make some cringe, get angry, or nod their head yes..
                        but hypocritical, naw it's just having fun...

Comment

I'm not sure I really grasp what it is you are trying to convey but I got into Traditional Archery for the challenge. Modern archery just got too easy and boring for me.

I've discovered that traditional archery is not only harder to master. A lot harder to learn to shoot well and much trickier to get the equipment right.

I was shooting a selfbow that I made and wood arrows but that bow broke so until I can get another one I'm shooting a recurve with carbon arrows.

I don't know if I'm being hypocritical or not, but what I do, I do for me and no one else.

Comment

As far as " we defeat our ability to 'fit in' on sites like this one ". In my experience, if it had not been for this site I would like still be shooting a compound. I have been lucky, not only to learn a lot from people on this site but I have made some very good friends as well.

When "gadgets" come into play, well I use Velcro instead of leather on most of my longbows...

To OP, sounds like you may have had your feathers ruffled somewhere, I hope it was not here. I would suggest going to a TBoT shoot next year, not for the completion but for the comradery.

IMO, the people on this site are golden. Most everyone here would gladly give you a pointer or two even if it made you a better shot than them. Most of us are very average shots that happen to love " Traditional Archery" and then we are blessed to have world class shooters here as well. The world class shooter will not boast, the only way you would be able to tell is their scores and/ or hunting success.

Thanks everyone that has helped me and many others along the way in traditional archery and in life. If I may help anyone in any way please let me know.

Ben

Comment

Traditional archery became obsolete. It is just another method of propelling a sharp object at an animal or target. First it was a hand thrown spear, then the atlatal, then the long bow, then recurves. Hickory spears, cedar shafts, hollow reeds with a sharp stone point, etc. As better and more efficient ways were developed, Compound, crossbow, even airbows. humans graduated to them.

Its hard to pick out one stage of the evolution and determine that THIS is traditional archery. If you make a personal decision to use a specific type of gear, you certainly cant impose that on others around you that use more advanced methods. If you shoot an old Bear Kodiak Mag(i have three) you are just picking a point way late in the evolution. hand thrown stayed around for ten thousand years before the bow.

Do what makes you happy and forget about requiring others to fit your ideal and we all win. steve

Comment

Working...
                              X