Fixing a Ground Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing a Ground Blind

Harvey broke a number of the poles that support one of my ground blinds. What would you use to replace the broken poles with?

I have the specs of the parts as they sell them on the Barronett site for $9.99/piece: POLE FIBERGLASS 49.50 IN X 9.50 MM.

My hunting budget is limited, so I would rather just spend a few dollars to fix this one up.

For those interested in the model: Grounder 350.

It has a a tear as well, but I am going to use fabric repair tape sold to repair tents, so I am good there. I am just not sure what I am going end up using for the poles.

just use some 1/2 PVC, cut to size and use zipties to secure.

I have done this on countless ground blinds with good results.

I actually run a piece of 1/2 along the top of all my blinds that are brand new.

This way I know they wont be caved in

Comment

I was thinking go to Academy and by cheap fiberglass replacement poles and cut 1.5 foot sections to attached where the break is. Use gorilla duct tape as it is strong and black in color.

Comment

I have used the fiberglass/plastic rods that are used for electric fences. You can find them at Tractor Supply.

Comment

3/8" rebar is really cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker_ace View Post
            I have used the fiberglass/plastic rods that are used for electric fences. You can find them at Tractor Supply.
            This. They work great

Comment

Yep, the electric fence post from TSC, work great. I have fixed a couple with them. Don't cost much, easy to work with.

Comment

How long do you need? I have some extras.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  How long do you need? I have some extras.
                  Very generous of you to offer. I am pretty far away from you though. I think I found my answer.

I am going to go by Lowe's and see if the 3/8" by 4ft. rebar will work as replacement poles.

The only question I have is will I be able to cut off the ends of the broken poles, drill into the connector pieces (that somewhat resemble small pvc connectors) that are used to connect to the hub, and fit the rebar in where I drilled, using superglue to ensure they stay in there.
                  Last edited by tom125446; 10-11-2017, 03:01 PM. Reason: Can't type so good

Comment

The end has the connector piece that secures into the hub.

Comment

Driveway marker poles. The kind you shove in the ground to mark the entrance of a driveway and has the reflector on top. Same size as the poles in your popup.

Comment

Originally posted by tom125446 View Post

the end has the connector piece that secures into the hub.
                        look for pvc tube that will fit over 3/8" rebar and drill out small hole for either roll pin or dowel that will work....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                          Driveway marker poles. The kind you shove in the ground to mark the entrance of a driveway and has the reflector on top. Same size as the poles in your popup.
                          Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
                          look for pvc tube that will fit over 3/8" rebar and drill out small hole for either roll pin or dowel that will work....
                          Thanks for the suggestions. Drilling out the fiberglass and placing the 3/8" rebar worked (at first). I replaced 7 poles, then as I was popping it open, others started breaking.

Time for a new blind.

Comment

I just repaired a broken pole on a Primos Double bull. It has poles that are attached to the hubs with the other ends inserted in a pocket on the fabric. Pole broke right in the middle as we were setting up the blind for the first time. (Kind of like trying to wrestle a drunken octopus.)

Anyway, I used a 3-4" length of aluminum tubing from an old auto AC hard line that slipped over the ends. Sanded the broken ends down and made it about 1/4" shorter in length. Then used JB Weld (Qwik Weld) both inside tube and on pole ends to make the permanent connection.

15 minutes later I popped the side back out and it worked like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                              I just repaired a broken pole on a Primos Double bull. It has poles that are attached to the hubs with the other ends inserted in a pocket on the fabric. Pole broke right in the middle as we were setting up the blind for the first time. (Kind of like trying to wrestle a drunken octopus.)

Anyway, I used a 3-4" length of aluminum tubing from an old auto AC hard line that slipped over the ends. Sanded the broken ends down and made it about 1/4" shorter in length. Then used JB Weld (Qwik Weld) both inside tube and on pole ends to make the permanent connection.

15 minutes later I popped the side back out and it worked like a champ.

Good idea! Before Harvey, I was leaning towards getting the Barronett Big Mike as my next blind, so I could standing shots, but the Double Bull has a Limited Lifetime Warranty! I am a sucker for a warranty. They would have replaced the broken pole for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X