Is 17-18' high enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 17-18' high enough?

I grew up hunting the hill country and have since moved to Oklahoma lease. The spot I hunt only allows me 17-18' with my lock on. If the wind is right is that high enough for deer sight? Thanks for the input.

Ive hunted alot in Illinois, and Iowa with rarely being above 15ft. Its all about keeping your movement to a min.

Comment

I think 15' is high enough---any higher and your shot angle is too steep IMO.

Comment

10' has seen many deer killed. Just saying............you don't have to be in the treetops to get it done.

Comment

I killed my biggest bow kill buck in South Texas out of a tripod that was only 6' to the seat.

Comment

That is plenty high

Most of my stands are between 10-15'

Comment

I shot my first deer out of a stand that might have been 12' high. With that said, we have the most luck above 20'. We hunted for a long time in the 12'-18' range and killed some nice deer. We find that it is much, much harder to get smelled and we see a lot more deer when we're up higher and most of our seats are at 24'.

I don't need to hear about scent clothing, techniques, or any of that. We take scent free showers before each hunt (morning and evening) and change into our Scent Lok after exiting the pickup to go to the stand. Some setups have multiple blinds depending on wind. The bottom line for us is that hunting early season before the rut gives you a great shot at many of the bucks that are coming to the feeder routinely, but it's hot and you're gonna sweat.

Of course, all just my humble opinion!

Comment

That's plenty high. Most of mine are 12'15'

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

You've been watching too many TV shows.

Comment

Plenty high. Just be still.

Comment

Should be enough for sight if you have backdrop/cover. I rarely get my feet above 20' here, and there are plenty of places I could hang a lock on at 60' if I wanted to.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the response.

Comment

I am usually about 10 feet. I have been 8 feet several times. The key is to make sure they are not looking in your direction when they come in.

Comment

Hunt in the manner the country dictates. Get as high as you can comfortably IMO.

In south texas or the rolling plains, high isn't an option. It can be done at any elevation, but the higher you are the easier it is to get out of the animal's scent cone.

Comment

15 is plenty high

Comment

Working...
                              X