Porch building question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porch building question

We are going to build a 12ft deep 40ft long free-standing porch along the front of the cabin. Basically a simple rectangle and my wife wants the deck boards to run with the 12ft width. So my question is what is going to be my best best with regards to joist sizing, spacing, and span? I was thinking 2x6's on 24" centers with a 6ft span.

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    We are going to build a 12ft deep 40ft long free-standing porch along the front of the cabin. Basically a simple rectangle and my wife wants the deck boards to run with the 12ft width. So my question is what is going to be my best best with regards to joist sizing, spacing, and span? I was thinking 2x6's on 24" centers with a 6ft span.
    How big a boy are ya?

Comment

I went with 24 inch centers and had to go back later and add support. I would go with 16 inch centers if I did it again.
      Last edited by bullhead44; 09-11-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

2x10's on 16" spacing or 2x8's on 12" would be my answer. YOu could probably get away with 2x8's on 16" if you wanted.

Comment

If you are buying 2x6x12 you are only looking at spending around $100 more to put on 16" centers and you would have no worries.
          Last edited by PEC; 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

If you did it in 4, 10' sections, a 2x8 will span the 10' easily.
            16" centers, for sure.

Comment

If you plan to use 2x s one the floor you will be ok except you need
              to make the spans 5' If you use 1x s on the floor you will need to
              have joists on 16" centers

Comment

I did a 6x12 on the front of my cabin. Framed with 2x6s, joists on 16" center with 2x4s spanning 6' and floor was 1x6s running 12'. All treated

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  If you did it in 4, 10' sections, a 2x8 will span the 10' easily.
                  16" centers, for sure.
                  This!

Comment

At least 16" centers, if not, you will be adding supports in as soon as you walk on it.

Comment

according to the 2015 IRC table R507.5 DECK JOIST SPANS FOR COMMON LUMBER, 2x6 southern pine joist at 16" oc can span 9'
                      so as long as your support beams under the joist are 9' or less (8' works out for 40') you are good.

at 24" oc your span should be less than 7'7"

that's what the code says, not opinion.

for your project 16" oc is only 10 more boards! respect your time, put in the extra material.

Comment

Originally posted by sticks View Post
                        according to the 2015 IRC table R507.5 DECK JOIST SPANS FOR COMMON LUMBER, 2x6 southern pine joist at 16" oc can span 9'
                        so as long as your support beams under the joist are 9' or less (8' works out for 40') you are good.

at 24" oc your span should be less than 7'7"

that's what the code says, not opinion.

for your project 16" oc is only 10 more boards! respect your time, put in the extra material.
                        actually 120 lin ft (3 40' runs)

Comment

Your 2x6 joists would be fine even on 24" centers if you make your span 4 ft instead of 6. Your joist would be supported at 0,4,8and12 ft instead of 0,6and 12. Just by adding another row of footings.

Comment

Working...
                          X