Knife makers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife makers

Where do you buy your steel and what kind to you prefer?

Thanks

I'm kinda new to knife making and have been using 1084 because it's easy to heat treat in a gas forge.

I recently bought a electric oven so that will soon be changing.

I get my steel here:

New Jersey Steel Baron is a New Jersey-based Steel Manufacturer whose motto is "Quality Steel For Quality Blades". Visit NJSB at the shop online to get premium products from the best of the best in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
      I'm kinda new to knife making and have been using 1084 because it's easy to heat treat in a gas forge.

I recently bought a electric oven so that will soon be changing.

I get my steel here:

http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/
      I agree; don't buy from Jantz or Texas Knifemakers; Aldo the steel baron sells the best quality steel for a good price. Kevin is right stick with 1084 easier to heat treat if you don't have a controlled method.

Comment

admiral steel they are good people

Comment

my brother is making an amazing Bowie knife from a leaf spring, its an extremely tough metal its almost finished, cant wait to see it

Comment

I like Admiral Steel too, but shipping is expensive. Fortunately I have a couple of knife making buddies that usually go in on an order with me so we split shipping charges

Comment

Originally posted by ThePap View Post
              my brother is making an amazing Bowie knife from a leaf spring, its an extremely tough metal its almost finished, cant wait to see it
              One of these days, I'm going to make a sword out of a leaf spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                I agree; don't buy from Jantz or Texas Knifemakers; Aldo the steel baron sells the best quality steel for a good price.
                Are you saying that 1095 (or any other steel) bought from steel baron is going to be better than 1095 (or any other steel) bought at Jantz or Texas Knifemaker? I thought 1095 was 1095, and it was pretty much all the same.

Comment

Aldo , the New Jersey Steel Baron has good prices , good steel and is a good person to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                    One of these days, I'm going to make a sword out of a leaf spring.
                    yes after this knife, that's his next project, he said its almost comparable to Japanese steel, I cant wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                      Are you saying that 1095 (or any other steel) bought from steel baron is going to be better than 1095 (or any other steel) bought at Jantz or Texas Knifemaker? I thought 1095 was 1095, and it was pretty much all the same.
                      Jantz is a retailer, so the price you'd pay for a 12" bar is just a little under of what you'd pay for a 20ft bar from a steel supplier like Admiral. But, I guess if you're only making A knife it comes out to about the same when you add in shipping.

Comment

I agree with Robert, what it costs you at Jantz for a 18" piece of bar stock, you can get a 4' piece from Aldo for not much more, I order 10 4' pieces at a time.

Comment

NJSB's website is confusing to me. Maybe I just hadn't checked it out good or something but can someone explain how to find what your looking for on it? Specifically, what are the color code things?

I"ve been ordering from Admiral Steel. But you have to order 6' at a time and shipping isn't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                            NJSB's website is confusing to me. Maybe I just hadn't checked it out good or something but can someone explain how to find what your looking for on it? Specifically, what are the color code things?

I"ve been ordering from Admiral Steel. But you have to order 6' at a time and shipping isn't cheap.
                            call the # and ask to speak to Aldo, that's what I like about it, he's the man and he will answer all your questions.

Comment

He is a great guy even though he's a yankee.

Comment

Working...
                              X