Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    hey, they are still out there

I'm sure they are. That's harder to find than a 13" buck on public though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
      I’m a horn hunter. The meat is just a bonus, and the relaxing time being out in the woods is priceless

This. I could buy two steers to butcher for way cheaper. Love the chase. Love to hit the release/pull the trigger.

Comment

It keeps my kids off the street and out of trouble. That’s priceless in my book!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I’m the opposite. I don’t lose my mind over antlers like some do. I’m killing for the meat and the enjoyment of the hunt. Nice antlers are just a bonus.

And I sure don’t pretend it cost any less than the meat I could go buy at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          This is me as well.

Comment

Not everyone pays for a leases, buys a new bow every year, and has a $10k lease vehicle. Then again some folks pull at the heart strings to get access...

Me? I’m the only one in my family that will willingly eat venison, a bit of starvation might be a good thing to provide some perspective

Comment

Originally posted by Rickk View Post
              It keeps my kids off the street and out of trouble. That’s priceless in my book!!!

Yeah that's different reason. Not doing it to feed them.

That's a great reason BTW

Comment

Originally posted by CoachStanton View Post
                This. I could buy two steers to butcher for way cheaper. Love the chase. Love to hit the release/pull the trigger.

I do love the chase!

Comment

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
                  Well my hunting season was a bust cuz I missed everything I shot at! Didn't realize my dominant eye changed to left eye until two days ago. I been hunting public, so pretty much free minus gas money. Hopefully can get one before the season end this weekend

How do your eyes change from right to left eye dominant? That is more interesting to me than price of venison vs meat they grow at the grocery store.

Comment

Can you buy deer meat at the store?

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!

Comment

I shoot deer off my place to fill the freezer. All it cost me is keeping the feeder full. I don't hunt horns but they are a cool bonus. That's really the only way I can see it working. Add in any more money and I can buy a calf and eat steak.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                        How do your eyes change from right to left eye dominant? That is more interesting to me than price of venison vs meat they grow at the grocery store.

I have no idea! It's was pretty upsetting when I missed a big doe at 20 yards, a hog at 8 yards and hog at 10 yards with my muzzleloader. Finally did a test an the difference was dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                          Can you buy deer meat at the store?

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!

Some say it's to feed their family, not to feed them deer specifically.

Comment

I hunt because I enjoy it. I love the meat, the horns (though it's not my biggest priority, I still enjoy a nice rack..... ) and the time in the woods. It's where I go and what I do to slow down a bit. I'm a busy body by nature. So, I work ALOT of hours. Heck, I took a week of vacation week before last and still worked 41 hrs of part time jobs. When I'm not at work, it's a rarity to see me parked on the couch. I need something to do. A good portion of the year, I'm usually making some sort of preparation for deer season or building something I can use while hunting or for camp or whatever. During season, I stay busy hunting (most years). So, hunting for me is multifaceted. It keeps me busy, provides entertainment, and gives me a way to relax and have some down time without wasting away in front of a TV, except for my Cowboys games. I won't even pretend that I "need" to hunt to provide for my family. That would laughable. I spend ALOT of money hunting lIke most folks here. Some folks spend WAY more than I do. Truth be told, I would too if I could afford it. I have never put pen to paper to figure out what I pay for a pound of deer meat. I'm kind of scared to.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              Not everyone pays for a leases, buys a new bow every year, and has a $10k lease vehicle. Then again some folks pull at the heart strings to get access...

Me? I’m the only one in my family that will willingly eat venison, a bit of starvation might be a good thing to provide some perspective
                              My dad and I pay for a lease, our daily drivers are the lease vehicles and we don’t have a fancy trailer or lodge at our place. But it still would be cheaper to eat lobster and Kobe beef than what venison comes out to per pound.

The good thing is I love the time spent in the field with my dad and getting great meat is a bonus. If we didn’t have a lease for next year I wouldn’t care, we’d just fish more together instead of hunting. That said we’re heading out Friday for what will be my last hunt of the season. We need to drop a couple more deer to lower the $/lb ratio on the venison!

Comment

i like eating a ribeye and looking at big bucks on the wall

i kid, i kid, i am actually getting a deer processed right now and plan on eating all of it this time

Comment

Working...
                                X