Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone ever caught a deer in a hog trap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my buddies caught a young buck in a hog trap in south texas not only once but caught the same little buck several times, i think they finally had to stop using the trap because the buck kept getting in

Comment

Traps with tops should be illegal.

Comment

Caught a little 4 point mule deer in Quanah. Broke one side off and teeth were all broke off.not sure if it lived or not.

Comment

Seen it happen a couple times, one of the ranches I hunted had a whitetail and fallow doe get in one of their hog traps and a family emergency came up which caused the deer to be in there 3 days and died.

Comment

I caught a buck in a hog trap also; I managed to get him out without him killing us both.

Comment

We put a piece of wood or a small log about halfway down over the opening horizontally, the hogs can get in, but it is harder for the deer to get in, we still caught and released a doe last year though. She was tired, but ok.

Comment

bait it with something hogs like and deer don't

Comment

Yup, it does happen. Ive Caught everything besides hogs.
                  I just caught a fallow a few
                  Weeks ago in utopia tx. I agree with Cajun
                  Blake if Ur able to trap with a open trap(top)
                  all should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    Traps with tops should be illegal.
                    agreed...we catch at least one a year and the only one i prefer to set is mine which is topless.

i'm betting 50% die by the time they figure out how to get out...usually bleeding from both ends beating themselves up. Can't stand watching it.

Comment

we caught one last year and took 10 mins to get her out.....wasnt fun at all.

Wow that is a huge buck to have trapped in a box trap. Glad he made it

Comment

Deer is fairly easy to get out of the trap. DO NOT GO INTO THE TRAP WITH A GROWN TURKEY NO MATTER HOW SAFE YOU UNCLE SAYS IT IS HE WILL KICK YOUR A@s@s

DONT ASK HOW I KNOW BUT THERE WAS NOT ROOM FOR BOTH OF US IN THE TRAP.

Comment

We caught a buck last year in a cage like the one up top. We rolled the cage on its side, jumped in the truck and the spring opened the door and out went the deer. Deer was beat up but he survived.

Comment

last yr we caught a albino nubbin buck and we have 5ft panels and it couldnt get out

Comment

GW in our area says that the deer often tear the connective tissues in their mouth that allow them to forage when banging into the panels. Thus, even though they may appear OK when you releasse them, they may die a slow death. I NEVER trap with corn, dieseled or not. Soured wheat works great and I have NEVER caught a deer while using it.

Comment

I would NOT have posted it on the internet and I would have let him deal with it...

Personally I would have called the GW after I Let her go telling the GW that I saw doe that was pretty messed up... I can NOT shoot a deer outside of season AND I WILL NOT have a doe in a trap when the GW shows up! Im not going to jail for a doe!

But now seems like GW has to get involved,

Comment

Working...
                                X