No announcement yet.

Bass are biting with the hotter temps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a family fish fry coming up. Need to do a little culling this weekend.

Comment

I need to find a pond that needs a good bass culling

Comment

I gut em and scale, then stuff with jalapenos and tomatoes and onions. Then grill em.

Comment

Nothing wrong with eating bass. Smaller ones are delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            We eat them too when thinning our herd.
            Good job on the culling, you can see on some of these fish they are already suffering from a lack of forage fish. They are starting to thin out but the head never gets smaller. Bass are voracious eaters and need a lot of nutrients to grow.

I took part in a culling like that once and it was fun but sad. Having caught fish in that pond when healthy and sustained, and then catching huge headed 2.5# fish, that should have been 5-6# was sad.

The owner had set it up right and had a lot of forage and then just neglected it over a few years. He needed to catch and eat some over that time but never let anyone keep fish and it went downhill pretty fast.

Comment

Ya'll are making me hurt looking at all these fish in the coolers! Coolers are for saltwater and crappie fishermen!

In all seriousness, we'll keep a few from time to time and they eat just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Good job on the culling, you can see on some of these fish they are already suffering from a lack of forage fish. They are starting to thin out but the head never gets smaller. Bass are voracious eaters and need a lot of nutrients to grow.

I took part in a culling like that once and it was fun but sad. Having caught fish in that pond when healthy and sustained, and then catching huge headed 2.5# fish, that should have been 5-6# was sad.

The owner had set it up right and had a lot of forage and then just neglected it over a few years. He needed to catch and eat some over that time but never let anyone keep fish and it went downhill pretty fast.
                Yep this year we are going to cull about 350-400 fish.

Comment

We ate bass my hole life growing up. I loved catching them as a kid thinking I fed my family! When we got older we realized throwing the ones back over 2 lbs and eating the smaller ones was good for the pond. Eventually you couldnt catch one under 3-4 lbs. Went from catching 20-30 fish a day to 8-12 big ones. Theyd range on an average day from 3-8 lbs. Caught 1-3 lb crappie there also on occasion. Loved fishing that big pond. Right at 4 acres on my family farm. Beavers and Nutria tore the bank up and it busted. Drained nearly the hole lake killing everything. We killed all the rats we could but could never get them all out until the lake was lost. Its been a long numbers of years rebuilding it. Now its time to fish again. Catching lots of fish now!

Comment

I'll eat small ones, especially spots.

I wish there was a way that TPWD would purchase these large QTY's of 1-2lb fish being culled from private waters and use them to stock public waters. The survival rate vs stocking fingerlings and fry would have to be much better.

Comment

Fry up the tails and fin's also they are great eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Help me out here guys. I’m new to tx fishing. Are y’all talking about fishing on private property vs public waters? When I look up txpwd Rey’s I see a 14” 5-fish limit on black bass. That doesn’t seem to be what’s in the cooler. Just curious. Heading to a private pond this weekend.

Comment

Needing my tank stocked wish you were closer.

Comment

I love to eat bass!

Comment

Goooood grief with the "keeping bass". They are in the perch family, are an abundant fish that are delicious in all sizes. Is a grouper too big at 200 pounds? Sorry for the rant but I live on Fork where you'd think these greenies are sacred.

Comment

Back when I started tournament fishing we would have a fish fry wither the catch of the day after weigh in. Then came catch and release.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X