No announcement yet.

Arrow Ballistics Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never put my bow on a scale to get a measurement at my DL. The bow is 53@28 and I'm at 26.75 DL. If my actual DW is 50 I'm shooting 8.76gpp. The new arrows I've bought but not set up yet will be right at 9.4gpp.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this one of those deals where your trying to say pie are square instead of round???

Comment

I like pie. Round or square. [emoji4]

Comment

I like this one. Just finished it up.

All the same data, but has the left line tails anchored together.

Gives a whole different perspective.
          The momentum folks should really like this one.

Rick

Comment

And it shows that your highest momentum is with the heaviest arrows, even though they are traveling at a slower speed, and at a much lower KE!!!! I'm no engineer, but from what I've read, momentum is more important than KE. I know for a fact that my heavier arrows that I shoot now penetrate better on critters than the lighter ones I used to shoot. Both were tuned using the same method, and to the same end. This has been proven to me by seeing the increase of complete passthrus on game animals I have shot.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              And it shows that your highest momentum is with the heaviest arrows, even though they are traveling at a slower speed, and at a much lower KE!!!! I'm no engineer, but from what I've read, momentum is more important than KE. I know for a fact that my heavier arrows that I shoot now penetrate better on critters than the lighter ones I used to shoot. Both were tuned using the same method, and to the same end. This has been proven to me by seeing the increase of complete passthrus on game animals I have shot.

Bisch
              Oh, I agree. I'm not apposed to momentum at all, but there's more to it than just that. I like to be at the point where all factors are gelling, and for me it has always been between 9 & 10 grains per pound with 9.5 being the target/goal.

Comment

Here's where 9.5gpp puts me on the graph.

Rick
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool Rick. Some next level archery. Super sexy spreadsheet ninjitsu for a first timer to excel.

Itd be interesting to see what change there is in momentum or kinetic energy of your arrow, if any, if the only variable is FOC....all else same.

I see KE as knock down power. I see momentum as punch through power. KE doesnt hold much water in my novice archery eyes.
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-28-2017, 07:25 AM. Reason: NinjaRickSpake

Comment

Yeah I don't agree. I think a balance between speed and weight is needed. You can have so much momentum your arrow blows through and sticks 4 inches in the dirt and it does you no more cutting of flesh than if the arrow just barely fell on the ground on the other side of the animal. My compound arrows are much lighter than my traditional arrows. Much faster. And blow through deer and pigs. Shooting from a ground blind it's often difficult to find an arrow because it skips off the ground on the other side and flies another 30 yards. I'm looking for the right balance of speed and penetration. Range adjustment is less a factor with a faster arrow.

Last edited by DRT; 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Just FYI

My scaling in the last chart I posted was WAY off, so disregard it.

When I have time, I will post a new graph with the scaling corrected.

Rick

Comment

Well, if you really want to get all fancy... take the derivative of your KE and M charts and see where they intersect.

BTW, you never said... what is the variable of the x axis?

Comment

This is my final version.

The numbers & scaling data are all correct in this one.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X