Public Land Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Axis

I remember reading some where that there is a WMA with free range Axis.I wanna say it was hill country area,but that might be uncorrect too...anyone know where they are at? And are they draw? Or no? Need TPWD public land permit required? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah there are a few places that have axis. Typically Garner SP is the main WMA that comes to mind when speaking of axis. It is a draw only hunt.

Comment

You can also hunt Fort Clark Springs in Brackettville for Axis...

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

All drawn hunts from what I understand. I've heard of people pulling Whitetails and pigs off the walk-in public hunting land, but never an Axis.

As for the draws...

Garner is covered up with them, but I've heard stories that the dude who runs the hunts is a real ***** and regards hunters as a nuisance distraction to "his" high-revenue park, and they'll only let you shoot animals that walk between two marked trees, and etc. Never met the guy myself bc never been drawn for this one. But I've heard more than one person call him.... let's say , impolite.... things.

South Llano is also supposedly pretty covered up with them, but the South Llano exotic hunt is the most difficult one to draw. And they don't do standbys.

Kerr WMA used to have a bunch, but I hear TPWD was trying to kill them off for several years. IDK how successful they were with that.

I think just about any of the other hill country WMAs you'll have a chance (not a GREAT chance, but A chance) for one. Guadalupe, Enchanted Rock, Inks, Government Canyon, Perdenalas, etc
          Last edited by Ryan-in-SA1; 02-21-2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

There are a few places throughout the hill country that do exotic hunts or white tail hunts plus you can pop a exotic if you see one but they are all DRAW HUNTS.

I have been Curious if there are any Military opportunity like Camp Bullis that have the possibility of axis? Heck camp bullis should or should soon have axis I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              Yeah there are a few places that have axis. Typically Garner SP is the main WMA that comes to mind when speaking of axis. It is a draw only hunt.
              I was thinking Garner but couldnt find anything saying,yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan-in-SA1 View Post
                All drawn hunts from what I understand. I've heard of people pulling Whitetails and pigs off the walk-in public hunting land, but never an Axis.

As for the draws...

Garner is covered up with them, but I've heard stories that the dude who runs the hunts is a real ***** and regards hunters as a nuisance distraction to "his" high-revenue park, and they'll only let you shoot animals that walk between two marked trees, and etc. Never met the guy myself bc never been drawn for this one. But I've heard more than one person call him.... let's say , impolite.... things.

South Llano is also supposedly pretty covered up with them, but the South Llano exotic hunt is the most difficult one to draw. And they don't do standbys.

Kerr WMA used to have a bunch, but I hear TPWD was trying to kill them off for several years. IDK how successful they were with that.

I think just about any of the other hill country WMAs you'll have a chance (not a GREAT chance, but A chance) for one. Guadalupe, Enchanted Rock, Inks, Government Canyon, Perdenalas, etc
                Oh wow...dosent sound like a good deal at all. I mean I understand he wants to make money,but yikes!! Im just trying to expand my options and places to hunt this next year. 3 years of being in the same place,and seeing a handful of deer in a whole season,im ready for some variety and options

Comment

Fort Clark runs 3-day hunts every F/S/S from Oct. until Feb. Both rifle and bow, cost is $150. Call the main office to reserve a date.

Comment

Fort Clark allows does mostly
                    Look at their trophy fees for the whole story

Comment

South llano if you get drawn go early. That was a busted hunt few weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by Msgreenga View Post
                        South llano if you get drawn go early. That was a busted hunt few weeks ago
                        I was wondering how you ended up doing. Not so good?
                        Last edited by Grizz83; 02-21-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Kerr WMA, Hillcountry SP, had a few axis. Kerrville Schrieder park is free, has axis and blackbuck, I saw quite a few just didn't come in range.

Comment

^^^^Link to the hunt in Kerrville??^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              ^^^^Link to the hunt in Kerrville??^^^^
                              Yes plz,if ya dont mind. Would appreciate it very much

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X