1st amendment rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krisw View Post
    Op, it's most likely unprofessional. I don't know your work environment, but obviously someone got hurt feelings. Is the guy Middle Eastern or muslim? Or a sjw? Also, do you know what the symbol on the forehead means? Maybe that is part of it. Who knows?
    You would like to see grownups handle these kinds of things between themselves but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. We have several crybabies where I work that run and tattle if you look at them wrong.
    Either way, this doesn't seem to be a battle you will win.

It says Infidel in Arabic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As many have said it is not a 1st Amendment issue and the employer not only makes the rules for their workplace but they are also subject to several employment laws that require them to provide a working environment free from harassment or hostility. Your employer and/or supervisor may or may not agree with the sentiments on your clip board (my guess is they would not find it offensive) however, if the company is more than a small operation I would bet they have some sort of policy prohibiting this sort of thing. Not only is the clip board unprofessional it is counterproductive, your company exist to make money and having to deal with issues like this is contrary to that. Not to mention the possibility of responding to EEO charges of discrimination and possible lawsuits. I assure you, you do not have a leg to stand on if you want to draw a line in the sand and refuse to remove the clip board form the workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
        X2

Politics don't belong in the work place. Nothing good ever comes out of discussing politics or religion for that matter in the work place. While I agree with the message, it is not professional.

Upper management has to be neutral and not play favorites. Whether you think it or not, the message has a political twist to it and the employee complaining (however, petty it may be) has a right to.

I work in a Corporate office environment and honestly would never carry around something like that knowing it could cause unneeded drama or concern.
        My current chief said that almost word for word. Plainly put, politics and religion should not be discussed at work.

That doesn’t mean that a couple of willing guys can’t speak with each other about whatever but putting it out to the masses is a losing proposition and has nothing to do with rights.

It is no different than this forum where management can set any rules.

Comment

Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
          NFL player are employees, Heck the have OWNERS! They aren't afraid of loosing their jobs. Why? Because 88% of them are black or part black.
          Hollywood movie stars, celebrities, athletes etc. Especially if they are not white. They can do or say what ever they please. You know people with fame & fortune that are not white.
          BUT
          If your Joe Average white boy try and speak your mind. LOOK OUT.
          We have become so PC that if your white you will offended someone regardless of what you say or do.
          Don't believe me?
          Just see how much flack I get from this message!
          God bless!
          Semper Fi.
          Yeah, I am that guy.
          Well maybe this is partly true the other part is they are not easily replaced in their roles espically pro athletes if you where as hard to replace at your job you could push the boundaries more and get away with it. Also if a large enough group of coworkers banded together that they couldn't fire all of you then again you could push farther.

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
            Just to clarify I would stop both situations if it was in my workforce.

The Op's situation was not being pushed and is strictly in house between two employees. He's told its offensive to some and needs to stop.

Kap is using a National platform pushing his position for all to see that effects not only coworkers but also the customer. Kap is allowed to continue without the NFL saying enough is enough. I can assure you if one of my employees did this it would be stopped immediately.

Alternate situation where the 1st Amendment is enforced.
            Employee wearing a hijab is offensive to another employee but nothing is done by HR since it's a religious freedom protected by the 1st Amendment.
            Funny how its only enforced in some situations but not others. Double Standard!!

People have become far to sensitive in today's society and lack the ability to handle situations that 20 years ago adults would discuss and settle peaceable amongst themselves.
            Why confront someone at work who has an offensive clipboard and get into an argument that won't end well for anyone when you can quietly have it resolved by a supervisor with no conflict at work seems logical to me. Again its about professionalism and the more professional option is let management handle this if op doesn't want to be in the hot seat for the clipboard the don't bring it. Actions and consequences.

And this clip board does not compare to someone's religious practices.

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Honestly, I can't believe they have not shown you the door already. You have put management in a bad situation by generating complaints (probably legitimate) from other employees regarding religious intolerance in the workplace. They will be forced to address these complaints. Unless you are at a very small company, I think you have now created the reputation of "troublemaker" for yourself. If it were my workplace, you would have received a written reprimand, at a minimum.

Comment

Instead of a clipboard/CK comparison, how about something more low level like a clipboard/F Trump and F you for voting for him window sticker.

Both people are protected from the government forcing removal of the stickers. But both people are also opening themselves up to any and every form of scrutinization anyone deems necessary. Be it from local law enforcement checking for wants/warrants, to employers checking for any type of discrepancy in paperwork or whatever.

Also in both cases a little forethought and a little less "look at me" mentality could have prevented all the attention, either wanted or unwanted.

Do what you want, when you want with a little discretion and the world keeps moving on. Catch yourself on fire, and everybody looks at you.

You get to decide how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                  It would have been different if he would have manned up and told me he didn’t like it. But he went to his supervisor and told him. Then you know how that snowball works.
                  Just saying if he would had told me I would cover it up with a permit or something.
                  Plus we are in a industrial facility and you need to be a little thicker skinned.
                  It’s these **** snowflakes that aggrevate me. Ooohhh he hurt my feelings.
                  He wouldn’t have lasted two weeks back in the day.
                  Industrial facility has nothing to do with. I work in a machine shop and, yes, it ain't what it used to be. No more Playboy calenders in our tool boxes, the cussin has all but gone away, it's just the way it is nowdays. We can't even whistle at the girls no more. It's a different worldwe live in and you just have to make adjustments like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X