What kind of tree is this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
    If this is what type of tree it is how large does it have to get before it starts to produce anything and what time of the year?
    Some trees are male some female...so I've heard. Some make "apples", some never do. The "fruit" is really useless other than a squirrel now and then and maybe a coon or possum.

But in the late spring through summer the deer in my area browse them hard! They are under them almost daily

Comment

Only female horse apple trees produce fruit.

Comment

There is an app for that

Comment

mock orange?

Comment

It's a wild Bradford pear tree. We have had several show up in our pastures over the last five years or so. Bois d'ars has a smoother, more glossy looking leave. The wild Bradford pear produces thorns. Here's some info I found while trying to identify the ones on our property:

Comment

Well it appears there is not much benefit if it’s a crabapple or wild pear.
              I guess I need to make sure what it is. If no benefit since it’s in primarily a cow pasture I’ll just mow them over. I was sure hopeful they were something good.
              Last edited by TXHunter12; 11-13-2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                Well it appears there is not much benefit if it’s a crabapple or wild pear.
                I guess I need to make sure what it is. If no benefit since it’s in primarily a cow pasture I’ll just mow them over. I was sure hopeful they were something good.
                My suggestion is to call your local county extension agent and request he meet you at your property to identify what you do not know. Let him know what your plans are for the property, ie. deer hunting, and he will guide you accordingly. He will also make suggestions for the questions you will not have thought of yet. They are typically a under utilized asset to property owners/managers, ranchers and farmers.
                Let us know what he says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X