Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry's new single shot rifle. Looks nice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
    Same here, why single shot.
    Some ask the same about the Bow. You'll find it (question) with each successive level of hunting tools.

I see Longbow hunters giving crossbow or compound bows crap then in gun season give a single shot user crap while they use an AR.

The pinnacle of their hypocrisy is giving a true black powder aficionado grief while they use one of them scoped Rem 700 UM's.
    Last edited by Voodoo; 05-14-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      I'll be on the look out for that .41 mag lever gun.
      They are on gunbroker but its hard to find them on the shelf

Comment

A single shot nicer than the Handi-rifle but not $1000 like the Ruger No. 1...and with a good chance of getting nice wood. Gotta get me one of those in 44mag. Would be a fun plinker with 44sp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
          Some ask the same about the Bow. You'll find it (question) with each successive level of hunting tools.

I see Longbow hunters giving crossbow or compound bows crap then in gun season give a single shot user crap while they use an AR.

The pinnacle of their hypocrisy is giving a true black powder aficionado grief while they use one of them scoped Rem 700 UM's.

So are you saying the attraction is the idea of moving more toward the traditional, original or simplistic?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
            So are you saying the attraction is the idea of moving more toward the traditional, original or simplistic?

In life we set our own fantasy, reality, or expectations of a challenge. Yes, thats why many like the single shot. We have so many choices now that some folk choose hunting equipment according to mood.

"The ultimate caliber or gun is the one you choose and enjoy to hunt with" -Voodoo

Same could be said across the board concerning weapons. This is what keeps chatter around the campfire so lively and why I go to sleep.
            Last edited by Voodoo; 05-14-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Guys I'm not in knocking it at all. Please tell me why you're so interested in a single shot rifle?

They have some nostalgia. Plus, their design lends itself to a longer barrel but shorter overall gun. So you get bullet speed and manueverability.

As mentioned above, this one would be much cheaper than a Ruger #1 but nicer than a Handi.

Comment

Guys I'm not in knocking it at all. Please tell me why you're so interested in a single shot rifle?

Reasons are plentiful, and vary from shooter to shooter. My own personal reasons for liking them:

1) Most are well built, with few moving parts to break or wear. I've torn apart and modified / improved / very seldom repaired, many single shot weapons. Upgrades are usually done very inexpensively - like the trigger upgrade by changing springs on an Encore. Because of their simplicity and price, I was more apt to rip them apart and tinker, which taught me a lot of the basics way back then.

2) They can generally be found in chamberings not found in other weapons - such as rifle length .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .357 Maximum, etc....

3) They can usually be purchased for less than a bolt action or semi-auto. Not always, but usually.

4) In the case of the T/C Encore and Contender, it was the ease of swapping barrels, stocks, forearms, etc... to easily and inexpensively make a new weapon.

5) For this one specifically... because it's a Henry. I like them. American made, very functional and tough, great customer service.

All the best,
                Glenn

Comment

Knowing u probly have just that one shot at a deer makes u slow down, pick ur spot, and concentrate a little bit more. Just my opinion. I shoot the ruger #1.

Comment

I absolutely love the original Henry rifle and now see they are making modern versions of them. Everything else they make excluding the AR survival and youth .22 bolt rifles are a abomination to me. With that said, they're are many that love them and Henry is certainly doing things to please them.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                      Reasons are plentiful, and vary from shooter to shooter. My own personal reasons for liking them:

1) Most are well built, with few moving parts to break or wear. I've torn apart and modified / improved / very seldom repaired, many single shot weapons. Upgrades are usually done very inexpensively - like the trigger upgrade by changing springs on an Encore. Because of their simplicity and price, I was more apt to rip them apart and tinker, which taught me a lot of the basics way back then.

2) They can generally be found in chamberings not found in other weapons - such as rifle length .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .357 Maximum, etc....

3) They can usually be purchased for less than a bolt action or semi-auto. Not always, but usually.

4) In the case of the T/C Encore and Contender, it was the ease of swapping barrels, stocks, forearms, etc... to easily and inexpensively make a new weapon.

5) For this one specifically... because it's a Henry. I like them. American made, very functional and tough, great customer service.

All the best,
                      Glenn
                      Pretty good synopsis Glenn. One other point though. Why would anyone need more than one shot for the way most of us gun-hunt deer. Out of a fixed blind with a good rest, I rarely shoot more than one shot from a bolt gun. Besides, when I hunted with a Ruger No. 1, I once killed three coyotes out of four with my 25-06. With a little familiarity, and a butt cuff, I could load and shoot pretty fast.

Although now, the AR is my go-to for hogs and yotes, I would never feel handicapped with a single shot for big game.

Comment

I wish it had a hexagon barrel, but looks nice. Love my .357 golden boy

Comment

Mine in 308 is shipping today. I have to figure out what scope I should go with.

Comment

I'd like to get another Henry. I have the classic .22 and I really enjoy shooting it.

Comment

Anybody have on of these yet? Curious what the reviews are like. Thinking my dad needs one in .223 for a truck gun to ride along side his sxs 12 guage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ I have not seen one YouTube review which is odd. I wanted it because it’s a Henry and different being a single shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X