No announcement yet.

Delay on Gun Purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always get delayed when I buy a shotgun or rifle. When I buy a pistol it's in and out. It's not 30 days. I think it's 3 business days. If you don't want to get CHL you can get pre-approved.

Comment

it happens - happened to me at Dicks eight years ago (pre- CHL)

delayed one day picking up a shotgun - they called the next morning and said come on by -- never did figure out why.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        no delay with a chl ....other than their ability to fill out paperwork
        Yep with CHL the only delay is how long it takes me to fill out the 4473. And I've gotten pretty good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
          I always get delayed when I buy a shotgun or rifle. When I buy a pistol it's in and out. It's not 30 days. I think it's 3 business days. If you don't want to get CHL you can get pre-approved.
          Pre approved? Please explain.

Comment

I used to get delayed on every purchase for 3 days (can be the 4th before you get the gun). Academy also used to not allow any purchase if you were delayed. Their policy not law... Might be where they're getting 30 days.
            Now I have a CHL so no wait anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Pre approved? Please explain.
              Last time I was delayed, they gave me the customer service number to call. When I was talking the lady she mentioned something about a form to fill out that will prevent delays in the future. She sent me all the paperwork but I never completed it. I think it's the VAF process but not real sure. Basically it gets all the extra info on you so next time there is no delay. Best way is to call their customer service number and ask. The person I talked to was pretty helpful. That was about 3 years ago.
              Last edited by BigL; 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM.

Comment

If it happens often, don't give them your SS number. We had a gentleman that had a clean background, even worked for the state and he got a delay EVERY time. Finally one of the agents that called back to give the O.K. told us not to put his SS number on the form. He cleared every time after that.

Comment

I knew I had posted a thread about my delay. It was 2 years ago when it happened.

I have no use for CHL other than not worrying about the delays and maybe for carrying when bowhunting. I would NEVER carry any other time. Not against others who want to carry but I know me. I can't carry at work and my truck has been broke into too many times to trust anything in it. When I'm not at work, I'm usually in workout type shorts and only place to put a gun would be next to my junk and that's not happening!

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                    If it happens often, don't give them your SS number. We had a gentleman that had a clean background, even worked for the state and he got a delay EVERY time. Finally one of the agents that called back to give the O.K. told us not to put his SS number on the form. He cleared every time after that.
                    Do you know the reasoning behind this? I put my SSN down everytime, I always figured it would help and not putting it would hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      She lost count...
                      Dang, i wish you all would quit using my X wife "Droopy" as your brunt of the joke.

I guess it could be worse. You ought to see her now in her old age. Her other eye has drooped like her right...she now looks like if she is sleepwalking......stumbles alot too.

Just kidding!

GILBERT

Comment

Part of why I buy everything private party

Comment

A delay is five business days after that if the shop hasn't heard anything back you are free to pick your gun up. Also if you get delayed alot it might be worth looking into getting a UPIN number.

Comment

Bunch of Mis-information here so I'll clear so of it up. I used to work the gun counter so I am assuming things haven't changed that much. They call the NICS center and tell them whatever information you tell them. Theycal tell you three things, proceed, deny or delay. Proceed means you take the gun as soon as they finish their store paperwork. Deny you are probably about to be in trouble meaning you are trying to buy a gun with a felony or other assorted things on your record. I have had an examiner asking for the information provided from someone who was delayed. So if you are breaking probation by trying to buy a gun I wouldn't suggest going through the process.

The final piece is what ticks off the most customers, the delay. When you are on the phone the first guy you talk to enters your information into the computer and gets an immediate yes or no. If you get a no they pass you along to a second examiner. The second examiner will spend a minute or so seeing if they can quickly clear up the issue. If they can proceed you get a gun, if delay you wait. They can call back in 30 seconds or as long as 30 days. After that point the paperwork/application expires and you get to try again.

Now when you are on the phone with the second examiner and they tell you the the transaction is delayed they also say "Brady(campaign) law does not prohibit the sale of this firearm after three days.". This becomes a screaming liability issue and Academy and many others won't sell you is they basically assume the responsibility if you were to choose to do something with the firearm. In this day and age they can't afford to take the liability so they choose not to sell you a gun unless the FBI clears you. Yes so smaller shops may buti assume most major retailers won't.

My expire nice was more than half of the delays didn't clear during the 30 days but I have heard that with the new computer program they use it is more common with faster turn around on delays.

Finally, if you have a very common name, a relative with the same name that has done bad things you can get a NICS unique pin where basically they give you a code they takes care of whatever reason they consistently delay you but I do not know exactly how you get one.

Also never heard of the ssn or not issue, I always thought it was a good idea to use it as its would clear up issues with identification.

Also if you have some sort of extra clearance they sometimes give you delays and didn't ever get explained fully why.

You can always get a chl if it is that much of an issue.

There is no way you can be delayed with a Chl, it negates the entire background check and then all you need is your driver license and chl license number.

One last thing if you buy more than one handgun on a single background check they have to fax an additional sheet to the FBI to document a multiple handgun sale.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                              Bunch of Mis-information here so I'll clear so of it up. I used to work the gun counter so I am assuming things haven't changed that much. They call the NICS center and tell them whatever information you tell them. Theycal tell you three things, proceed, deny or delay. Proceed means you take the gun as soon as they finish their store paperwork. Deny you are probably about to be in trouble meaning you are trying to buy a gun with a felony or other assorted things on your record. I have had an examiner asking for the information provided from someone who was delayed. So if you are breaking probation by trying to buy a gun I wouldn't suggest going through the process.

The final piece is what ticks off the most customers, the delay. When you are on the phone the first guy you talk to enters your information into the computer and gets an immediate yes or no. If you get a no they pass you along to a second examiner. The second examiner will spend a minute or so seeing if they can quickly clear up the issue. If they can proceed you get a gun, if delay you wait. They can call back in 30 seconds or as long as 30 days. After that point the paperwork/application expires and you get to try again.

Now when you are on the phone with the second examiner and they tell you the the transaction is delayed they also say "Brady(campaign) law does not prohibit the sale of this firearm after three days.". This becomes a screaming liability issue and Academy and many others won't sell you is they basically assume the responsibility if you were to choose to do something with the firearm. In this day and age they can't afford to take the liability so they choose not to sell you a gun unless the FBI clears you. Yes so smaller shops may buti assume most major retailers won't.

My expire nice was more than half of the delays didn't clear during the 30 days but I have heard that with the new computer program they use it is more common with faster turn around on delays.

Finally, if you have a very common name, a relative with the same name that has done bad things you can get a NICS unique pin where basically they give you a code they takes care of whatever reason they consistently delay you but I do not know exactly how you get one.

Also never heard of the ssn or not issue, I always thought it was a good idea to use it as its would clear up issues with identification.

Also if you have some sort of extra clearance they sometimes give you delays and didn't ever get explained fully why.

You can always get a chl if it is that much of an issue.

There is no way you can be delayed with a Chl, it negates the entire background check and then all you need is your driver license and chl license number.

One last thing if you buy more than one handgun on a single background check they have to fax an additional sheet to the FBI to document a multiple handgun sale.
                              Thats it....

Comment

Typped that on the iPad too...

Comment

Working...
                                X